Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched around a bit and found a couple things but it didnt tell me what i was looking for.

i know some have problems with ebay headers but i have run them before without much problem. just wondering what the gain as far as preformance and sound im going to get out of the ebay header? i know its not going to be huge gain but i am looking for some. i have already pulled the mid-muffler out and replaced the rear muffler with a 5zigen i had from a while back laying around.

all opinions are welcome :clappy

· Registered
10,346 Posts
You'll see a bit of a gain. Biggest issue with ebay headers is durability, which is really not that big of an issue in itself.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a good question, its stock dont know if that will tell you or not lol, right now the car isnt moving so once i can get it back to work and on a lift ill crawl under it and take a look

· Registered
3,077 Posts
I got an Ebay exhaust on my 97 Ex 4cyln. Recent problem with the resonator, hoped to unbolt it last week but didnt get around to it, had a truck and a stupid nissan to work on first.

My resi appears to be rattling and I think the baffling has come loose. Sound is good aside from the rattle, durability isnt bad either.. However, I woudl highly recommend that you sand the entire exhaust system and spray paint it with Rustoleum BBQ grill paint (you know that super high heat shit taht goes to 1200 degrees) to prevent rusting mainly. I did it to my header but not my downpipe, which I regret. I actually cured the paint in my oven. + I had 3 coats on it ;) I used the flat black, I dont think the Satin is very good after seeing my buddys work on his nissans header. I reccomended that he sand and paint it, not only did he use a very fine(1000 grit I think.. I used like 280-320) sand paper, but he used a "satin" finish of the BBQ grill paint. We ended up getting some "break loose" penetrating oil stuff on the header and the paint melted away.

He had to drill the FUCK out of that header to get it to fit, mine slid on with no problems what so ever, the worst fitment I had was the hangers didn't line up perfectly and the flanges needed some work that I didn't pay attention to.

If you buy an Ebay Exhaust system I recommend bolting everything up with no gaskets in place and checking for any gaps between the flanges. You can use a flat bastard file to get a more exact mating of the flanges. Also you can port match the flanges and gaskets to get better flow(again something I didn't do) I re-used my stock Cat, which I didn't have a gasket for, The gasket they gave me for the cat was as worthless as tits on a boar hog. Should you get a full ebay system you'll probably need a new cat gasket from the downpipe to the cat( I was forced to re-use the stock gasket :/ ). The other flange of the cat and the exhaust system worked just fine.

If you'd like any other insight on Ebay exhaust for an accord please feel free to PM me. My exhaust cost me a grand total of 227 shipped.:w00tz Came with everything pretty much, except new headstud nuts, I bought them for like 6 bucks /w self locking flanges built in because castle nuts were hard to find.\

Check this out:
eBay Motors: 94-97 HONDA ACCORD 4-CYL HEADER+CATBACK FULL EXHAUST LX (item 350180627968 end time May-18-09 18:15:05 PDT)

And then this:
eBay Motors: Accord 94 95 96 97 EX Header CAT& Cat-back Full Exhaust (item 150340413217 end time Apr-27-09 14:09:10 PDT)

This ones O2 bung looks like shit: eBay Motors: 94 95 96 97 HONDA ACCORD HEADER + FULL CATBACK EXHAUST (item 310135332321 end time May-12-09 18:11:19 PDT)

The main difference is the more expensive one comes with a test pipe. I say Fux that, they are both about the exact same thing. Honestly though it depends on what state you live in and where your O2 sensors are located on your current exhaust system. I didn't beat out my Cat because my O2 is mounted after the catalyst on the stock setup, fearing a CEL code I left it alone :)

When we unbolted the cat during my install the bolts broke of course, well we had to grind them off flush then get a steel punch and a hammer to drive the bolts out of the cats flange. Be prepared to take anywhere from 6-10 hours for the install if you encounter problems. Impact tools are highly recommended. Use penetrating oil or break loose stuff on all the bolts at least 24 hours in advance. If you can park the car for a few days and re-apply more every so often, even better.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well thanks for all the info mortsaccord, just wondering tho would those fit my car? those say they are for a mid 90s accords and mine is an 01. and i just planned on getting the header and downpipe off ebay and then taking it to the little mexican shop down the street from my house were i have taken my last 2 vehicles for exhaust and having him put a little bigger pipe on, maybe a new cat

· Registered
3,077 Posts
You'll have to do your own research and inspection of the parts and setup on yours and compare them to the ones on Ebay really, I dont know much about 98-02 accords, other than they still use a F series engine. The exhaust should be similar, but as for 94-97 system working for 98-02 I don't think so. since my recent look up on Ebay, check this

eBay Motors: 98-02 ACCORD 4CYL L4 STAINLESS STEEL F22 EXHAUST HEADER (item 270377284208 end time Apr-26-09 20:33:15 PDT)

Flex pipe is in a different location for starters. Either way, get some PB on there and soak those bolts for a few nights before taking it to the shop. Like I said before soak em down good a buncha times and the longer you can let them sit the better. Your down the street mechanics will thank you. A new cat will cost a grip. Even more so for a "high flow" cat. Plus they'd have to weld a flange on there. As long as the stock cat isn't clogged youd do a lot better getting a tuneable ECU for your car, going OBD1 (on board diag 1 doesnt have a O2 after the cats)will allow you to smash that cats platium out to make it into a test pipe.. heck you can even recycle that crap. Better not do this if your state tests for emissions though :D

ECU's are a great investment as their value doesn't depreciate much either unlike other car parts. I recommend a chipped P28 ecu and conversion harness, I believe your car is OBD2b so you would need the according conversion harness. Don';t take my thought as gospel though, its up to you to check out the ECU and find out what the plugs look like on it to know exactly what ECU conversion harness to order should you go with an ECU instead of a high flow cat.

The only reason I'd suggest a high flow cat is if you went turbo.

EDIT:

eBay Motors: 98-02 HONDA ACCORD 2/4DR 4CYL CATBACK EXHAUST + HEADER (item 360144208572 end time May-02-09 15:04:38 PDT)

Heres one for your model, Id think about buying that and making sure it comes with every bolt and gasket you need, then letting the mexicans get the old bolts out of the cat.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
You'll see a bit of a gain. Biggest issue with ebay headers is durability, which is really not that big of an issue in itself.
not really depends on the header. some can hurt performance. was it a 4-1 header or a 4-2-1 header. you won't really know how it will affect performance till you bench flow it against a stock header. then the car has to be tuned for it to see any real gains. hondas run map

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Not all ebay headers suck...lol
for hondas they do

they see very little gains from "real" performance parts. why would a 50 dollar ebay header made by the 11 year old chinese boys 7 year old sister in a sweat shop give you any gains of a hyatech header

· Registered
3,077 Posts
for hondas they do

they see very little gains from "real" performance parts. why would a 50 dollar ebay header made by the 11 year old chinese boys 7 year old sister in a sweat shop give you any gains of a hyatech header
Thinking about some punk kids makign parts for less than satisfactory wages in a sweat shop makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Wait I work for less than adequate wage o_O ... well I did get a raise though 1 dollar raise. Big ballin it at 9/hr

· Banned
1,613 Posts
thats a good question, its stock dont know if that will tell you or not lol, right now the car isnt moving so once i can get it back to work and on a lift ill crawl under it and take a look
if you find you have a 4-2-1 it will be better then an ebay POS.

if you don't have a 4-2-1 - get one... it will be better then an ebay POS and you can pull it out of a junk yard for less.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the header i will probably be putting on myself and then ill take it too the mexicans for the bigger pipe.

if you find you have a 4-2-1 it will be better then an ebay POS.

if you don't have a 4-2-1 - get one... it will be better then an ebay POS and you can pull it out of a junk yard for less.
how common is a 4-2-1 header stock on one of these cars? i really dont want to go from junk yard to junk yard trying to find something that i probably wont

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
well the header i will probably be putting on myself and then ill take it too the mexicans for the bigger pipe.

how common is a 4-2-1 header stock on one of these cars?
i really dont want to go from junk yard to junk yard trying to find something that i probably wont
they come stock 4-1

· Registered
3,077 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.