Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that when you put on after market headers like the megan racing 4-2-1 headers that o have, the check engine light has to come on and stay on? how do you solve this problem ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Eh, another sam in the accord forum.. :ninja

The check engine light "has" to come on and stay on? How do you solve it? Buy a header with the bungs pre welded for the o2 sensors.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey sam, bungs are the holes where the o2 sensor screws in right? the header has 2 of them prewelded already. I have my o2 sensor in one of the holes and the other one completely closed.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if you have a cheap piece of shit like megan, then get rid of it and get something of better quality.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
RALFnotralph said:
I heard that if you put in after market headers..you wont be able to pass smoke. is that true?
no if the put the sniffer on youll be fine, but if they look under the hood unless is says C.A.R.B approved no pas ususaly.

as far as the CEL coming on it doesnt have to, mine came on but the reason was is because in the pricess of taking the old sensor out all of the vibrations and heat broke it. if you have 80 or more thousand miles you should change it anyways.

I hae had the megan header for abot a year and has gone through one new england winter and all is well, fitment was good and welds looked nice inside and out, only down that I notised is collector is a little on the small side. I do drive a civic but same thing.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
the megan headers are pieces of crap. i used to sell them at my old garage and they were VERY poorly made.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
the megan headers are pieces of crap. i used to sell them at my old garage and they were VERY poorly made.
meh, ive seen the hig quality stuff and it is of much better quality, but the hp/$$ ratio for a great header is just to high for me. Its much easyer to put that money for boost.

the best header I have found to date is the bisi header, and on a 220k z6 it gained 7whp over a "mossified" z6 header, so lets say that it got 10whp over the stock one, the header cost 550 bucks

thats 55 bucks/ hp!!

meagen header will gain at worst 2whp over stock

thats still only 45 bucks/hp

tubo is around (for my build anyways)

10 bucks/hp :)

I see what you are saying but for just a normal guy that wants a little more pep megan is more then good enough, for the true racer with lots of cash high quality header cant be beat.Mine fit great and doesnt rub on anything, collector lined up prefectly.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
meh, ive seen the hig quality stuff and it is of much better quality, but the hp/$$ ratio for a great header is just to high for me. Its much easyer to put that money for boost.

the best header I have found to date is the bisi header, and on a 220k z6 it gained 7whp over a "mossified" z6 header, so lets say that it got 10whp over the stock one, the header cost 550 bucks

thats 55 bucks/ hp!!

meagen header will gain at worst 2whp over stock

thats still only 45 bucks/hp

tubo is around (for my build anyways)

10 bucks/hp :)

I see what you are saying but for just a normal guy that wants a little more pep megan is more then good enough, for the true racer with lots of cash high quality header cant be beat.Mine fit great and doesnt rub on anything, collector lined up prefectly.

a 2whp gain is a hiccup in the dyno...nothing significant. you can get 2whp by just replacing your old worn out, soot filled header w/ a brand new one or by cleaning your existing one out. it's not really a "gain" it's just refreshing your motor's old condition. megan products are really crappy. i wouldn't wish them on my biggest enemies.

there are three things to tuning: Power, price and reliability....you're only allowed to have two.

i can't stress how bad megan products are. there may be one or two in a batch that are okay, but a majority of them are crap products. i've seen way too many people spend more than they had to in the long run by not getting the right stuff right away.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
so far, I ve had nothing but good things to say, I also picked up the lower H-brace, good pice, fit perfect, it is also VERY strong, I scraped it at around 80mpg(damn NH pot holes lol)

its great protection for the oilpan and exhaust lol.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
you haven't taken a good turn yet w/ them. i had a girl come into our old garage and lean on our display bar...it broke.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
you haven't taken a good turn yet w/ them. i had a girl come into our old garage and lean on our display bar...it broke.
I stood on mine as a "lets see if itll handle some abuse" test, and I even bounced up and down and was fine.

wow yea, I must be lucky then :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.