Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights are getting a little hazy. Anyone know how I can make them smooth and shiny again? it's not very bad, YET. But I wanna clean them up anyways. I heard you can use car polish on them, but that seems iffy. Let me know!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I used a Mother's Plastic Polish, works really well, but you'll have to rub A LOT!! and you might be doing it every couple of months.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Find something that can buff. Itll save you a good 3 hours of buffing. Anything small or large enough to fit on there.

Just be sure its soft and use any product that can polish. Check your work though and yeah plastic polish will work the best...but again you can always try any polish that might be handy.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
polish it with plastic polish...then tape off the headlights and spray it with clear finish...the cheap kind from a can, that should help keep it cleaner longer...it helps if the headlights have been warmed up by a hair dryer or something before you spray, the finish will bubble if its too cold... and crack if its too hot also...just make it warm to the touch...maybe 2 coats will be enough...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Nyceguy17 said:
My headlights are getting a little hazy. Anyone know how I can make them smooth and shiny again? it's not very bad, YET. But I wanna clean them up anyways. I heard you can use car polish on them, but that seems iffy. Let me know!

u can use car polish on them, but use a buffer and when done wax them, u can use any type of wax and the wax will actualy stop them from hazeing

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
95db8 said:
polish it with plastic polish...then tape off the headlights and spray it with clear finish...the cheap kind from a can, that should help keep it cleaner longer...it helps if the headlights have been warmed up by a hair dryer or something before you spray, the finish will bubble if its too cold... and crack if its too hot also...just make it warm to the touch...maybe 2 coats will be enough...
Hmmm if your worried about heating them up so the paint sticks. What about using some alcohol to make sure the oils from the polish that you just rubbed all over your headlight wont impeed the paint from sticking...

This would create some serious paint problems. As well would lead to cracking over time and who knows what, and youll have overspray all on the car....again no good.

Just get a plastic polish if you have the money to waste , if you have a polish handy and dont want to spend the cash use that.

Just to note. I just saw plastx at advanced auto parts for 4 dollars. Thats a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have a quick question....i was doing diy black houseing my headlights when i hade them in the oven some of the silcone got on the plastic, i was like cool i take that off when i'm done spraying, so my dumb ass left the plastic next to some 600 grit sand paper and my nephew grap the paper and wet at the cover than god it was just one.. but i want to know is there a way i can the plastic back to its clear state, i will post some pics of the lights tomorrow while i'm at work..any help is good thanks

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
i would use stuff i had at work but the only thing u can come in contact with is goof off, then when u got it all off, wax the area really well.

when ur cleaning make sure to change cloths out alot

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Your only option to remove the scratches is to wetsand over it with 1500-2000 grit and polish them with a high speed buffer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts