Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay.. heres my problem.. im planning to buy a civic hb but all i see for these years, 97-99 are civic cx..?

what is the difference about the cx and ek

and what is an civic ek?? hb it is
...thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
see-ya! said:
okay.. heres my problem.. im planning to buy a civic hb but all i see for these years, 97-99 are civic cx..?

what is the difference about the cx and ek

and what is an civic ek?? hb it is
...thanks
its 96-2000 theres CX and DX. those are the trims. EK is the body style for years 96-2000

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
correction: EK designates a JDM civic chassis from '95-'99 model years (Japanese cars are usually designated for the year they are first sold in, not the "model year" they are intended for like in the US), and usually is intended for the hatchbacks (EK4 for '95-'97, EK9 for '98-'99). all US market civics from the 6th gen body style have a different chassis designation (usually EJ something).

interestingly enough, you might also hear people referring to 5th gen (92-'95 in US, '91-'94 in Japan) civics as EGs, but here in the US, only the DX/LX sedan is designated as an EG (EG8 to be exact). the 3 door is either an EH2 or EH3 (depending on the trim level), and the coupe is an EJ.

just more useless trivia information than you really need to know! :p

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
so basically all the people with 5th gen hatchies who have an "I heart My EG" sticker have been living a lie all these years? AWESOME!!!! Take THAT EG owners.

Yeah... I'm just bitter about owning a 7th gen coupe. lol.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I believe the hatches for that year are CX, VX, and DX. The DX has the most powerful engine, the VX has the best gas mileage, and the CX has the least interior crap, in case you want to create a hotrod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I believe the hatches for that year are CX, VX, and DX. The DX has the most powerful engine, the VX has the best gas mileage, and the CX has the least interior crap, in case you want to create a hotrod.
VX hatchbacks were 92-95 not 96-00

and to the person that responded to me, WE call 96-00's EK's thats what he was asking. whos technical here lol

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
welcome to sho. please use the search function. this has been asked a million times before. also try google.

·
Registered
462 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!!

that one civic said:
correction: EK designates a JDM civic chassis from '95-'99 model years (Japanese cars are usually designated for the year they are first sold in, not the "model year" they are intended for like in the US), and usually is intended for the hatchbacks (EK4 for '95-'97, EK9 for '98-'99). all US market civics from the 6th gen body style have a different chassis designation (usually EJ something).

interestingly enough, you might also hear people referring to 5th gen (92-'95 in US, '91-'94 in Japan) civics as EGs, but here in the US, only the DX/LX sedan is designated as an EG (EG8 to be exact). the 3 door is either an EH2 or EH3 (depending on the trim level), and the coupe is an EJ.

just more useless trivia information than you really need to know! :p
100% THANK YOU :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
mr2envy said:
VX hatchbacks were 92-95 not 96-00

and to the person that responded to me, WE call 96-00's EK's thats what he was asking. whos technical here lol
LOL! yeah i know, i sometimes think i spend too much time absorbing this useless information. :D i actually normally refer to 6th gens as EKs also, so it's not like i'm not guilty of this (same goes for 5th gens = EGs, 4th gens = EFs, etc. etc. etc.)

and to the original poster, the only trim levels you'll find on a USDM 6th gen hatchback are CX and DX. both have the same power trains and suspensions, and they pretty much look the same on the outside as well (well, aside from CX and DX badges!). i think the major difference is in the options, most of which aren't really all that necessary anyway.

and just so you know, the only motor available on those cars (stock anyway) is the D16Y7, non VTEC and with a really wierd looking throttle body.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
FinalGear said:
100% THANK YOU :D
lol! it's always good to spread useless information!

and just in case anyone's curious, the '92-'95 USDM EX sedan is designated as EH9. the '96-'98 USDM hatchbacks are designated EJ6, and the Del Sol is designated as EH6. want to know the rest? find it out your damn self! :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.