Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone help me see what's wrong with my car. I don't really know what's going on. I've had it checked at the shop already. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Wasted my money. Here's the problem. My car heats up when there is traffic jam or when I drive really slow for a long time. Also heats up almost to the red line when I drive fast for a long time. Maybe a 2 hour freeway trip and slow down, then the temp. goes up. I don't know what's wrong. guy at shop told me that it was my radiator hoses. They are too small, so I had them replaced. It worked for about a few days. then same problem again. Someone know what's wrong? please help. thanks. This also happends when I have my car sitting in parking too. It's not the fans or temperature stats. I had those replaced already.

· Registered
85 Posts
pboilee said:
Someone help me see what's wrong with my car. I don't really know what's going on. I've had it checked at the shop already. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Wasted my money. Here's the problem. My car heats up when there is traffic jam or when I drive really slow for a long time. Also heats up almost to the red line when I drive fast for a long time. Maybe a 2 hour freeway trip and slow down, then the temp. goes up. I don't know what's wrong. guy at shop told me that it was my radiator hoses. They are too small, so I had them replaced. It worked for about a few days. then same problem again. Someone know what's wrong? please help. thanks. This also happends when I have my car sitting in parking too. It's not the fans or temperature stats. I had those replaced already.
well first start with the basics. completely flush and drain your radiator coolant and refill it with 50/50 solution. There are two drain bolts. One on the radiator and one on the back of the block. Dont forget about the coolant in the resovoir. change all of your fluids as a matter of fact... tranny fluid, engine oil and put a quality oil filter i use mobil 1. the oil reduces engine temps by 30%. if that does not work get your thermostat checked out. if that does not work get a new radiator.

· Registered
18 Posts
thermostat

is it hard to change thermostat?'
cuz I've never changed it. my car's 96 accord.
and where is that thing located?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No not really, My friend told me there is 2. One is where the radiator coolant enters the engine and one where the coolant comes out. All you have to do is drain your coolant. Unscrew the 2 bolts holding the thermostats in. It's located at the opening where your main radiator hose connects to. Inside should be the thermostat. Just pull it out and put the new one on. Screw it back in and put new coolant. Almost forgot, make sure you disconnect the electrical connections to the thermostats before your change them and reset your ecu after your change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.