Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have some sort of virus...First of all I can not click on any link (If I click it, nothing happens) I also can not copy and paste, then I lost the ability to lower any open programs into the tool bar (hit minimize and it just disapears) It also will not allow me to run a virus scan (I have mcafee) everytime I try to run it, it gives me some kind of error. I also tried a system restore, but it will not let me open the program??? It did let me run a spy program, and although it did find some, the issue is not fixed??

You guys have any ideas???

·
Registered
719 Posts
lol, FORMAT! We could prob. try to walk you through this for hours but your best bet is the old fdisk and format..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
yeah, and even when you think you got rid of everything.... theres just going to be more crap on your system you don't know about that is still messing crap up. It'll be quicker and easier just to format and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
dohhh I just did that like 3 months ago! :bh

I'm gonna just buy a new freakin computer.
Must be nice... But buying a new one isn’t gonna solve anything....... Worst case scenario a new hard drive but not that..

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
I think I have some sort of virus...First of all I can not click on any link (If I click it, nothing happens) I also can not copy and paste, then I lost the ability to lower any open programs into the tool bar (hit minimize and it just disapears) It also will not allow me to run a virus scan (I have mcafee) everytime I try to run it, it gives me some kind of error. I also tried a system restore, but it will not let me open the program??? It did let me run a spy program, and although it did find some, the issue is not fixed??

You guys have any ideas???

Try this! It finds things you would not believe! Good luck!
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

·
Registered
719 Posts

:bh

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
ill tell you how, go into windows in safe mode with networking, then click the link, bishes

hit f8 before the windows loading screen pops up, usually i turn the computer on and hit f8 like every second until it gives me the option :lol2

·
Registered
719 Posts
tqhx said:
ill tell you how, go into windows in safe mode with networking, then click the link, bishes

hit f8 before the windows loading screen pops up, usually i turn the computer on and hit f8 like every second until it gives me the option :lol2
^ That may not work, don't get discouraged. If you have a USB cable of DSL modem the drivers "may not" load and this can even frustrate you further. ^

Like I said, this could take hours to fix and hours of debate. Even when you think you've fixed the problem, (especially if it’s a bad one) be it spy ware or a virus, just format.

Hard lesson learned, but now he has the opportunity to partition the drive so next time any problem that may occur: corrupt operating system, spy ware, viruses, whatever.... he's set.

Meaning, create a few partitions via fdisk or even a partition program. (There are a thousand out there: Partition Magic is a good paid program but if you need free, Linux has one that work with all OSes) Setup one partition for just the OS. Then one for data, one for pics, one for games, ect... Never keep all your eggs in one basket.

What this will accomplish for him, in the long run is, any fishiness that his PC starts to throw at him, he can simply zap the Operating partition (format) without the fear of losing valuable data, pics, whatever. I know it may sound difficult but if you go with Partition Magicthey really streamline the process.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
94GeeSR said:
^ That may not work, don't get discouraged. If you have a USB cable of DSL modem the drivers "may not" load and this can even frustrate you further. ^

Like I said, this could take hours to fix and hours of debate. Even when you think you've fixed the problem, (especially if it’s a bad one) be it spy ware or a virus, just format.

Hard lesson learned, but now he has the opportunity to partition the drive so next time any problem that may occur: corrupt operating system, spy ware, viruses, whatever.... he's set.

Meaning, create a few partitions via fdisk or even a partition program. (There are a thousand out there: Partition Magic is a good paid program but if you need free, Linux has one that work with all OSes) Setup one partition for just the OS. Then one for data, one for pics, one for games, ect... Never keep all your eggs in one basket.

What this will accomplish for him, in the long run is, any fishiness that his PC starts to throw at him, he can simply zap the Operating partition (format) without the fear of losing valuable data, pics, whatever. I know it may sound difficult but if you go with Partition Magicthey really streamline the process.

actually if he has dsl and its hooked up to usb or whatever i know very easy way to get it to work, so if thats the case post up here that you have dsl and i will give you a walkthrough

Properly learning how to remove viruses/spyware is far easier and quicker than installing windows over again every time you have a problem, i hate to be offensive but thats just dumb

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes, we could all probably get the system back online... But what is that going to solve? Those miracle spy ware removal programs are crap! Most have there own spy ware built in. (ie search and destroy, adware) The only descent one I've found is in a beta form @: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en . But at this point I think he needs to concentrate on saving what he can.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys...Let me try that link (ill type it in I guess) and see if it helps. If not I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know a new hd would be all I need, but I've been looking to pick up a new computer so I dunno we'll see. I'm just getting sick and tired of these damn viruses. I have the damn virus protection WTF??

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
yea most spyware programs are definitely crap. Adaware and pest patrol seem to work pretty damn well tho and they have no built in junk. Of course i recommend if you use those to download cwshredder.exe from merjin.org and running that after you scan your computer with housecall and adaware. That effectively clears probably 99% of whats out there

And when it comes down to the nasty crap run hijack this and post it up, theres a simple removal tool for just about everything out there

And if youre lucky sometimes the spyware programs are sitting there in the add/remove programs list =)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
Thanks guys...Let me try that link (ill type it in I guess) and see if it helps. If not I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know a new hd would be all I need, but I've been looking to pick up a new computer so I dunno we'll see. I'm just getting sick and tired of these damn viruses. I have the damn virus protection WTF??

We use mcafee at work and im tellin you people here get viruses all the friggin time :noo ... To be honest i prefer AVG antivirus. Also making sure you run windows updates, and using a safe browser such as mozilla or avant are huge steps in keeping your computer infection free

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
Just thought of this! :hehe
If your running XP

Do a Start->Run-> (type) msconfig
Go to start up and see if you have any funnie .exe running at startup!

Most of times you have thing running and you dont even know!

Just disable them restart and see if it help!

Run house call affter!

Buying a new computer will help but 3months later it will happen to you again! it's good to learn!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.