Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving to work today and after like 5 minutes on the road, i heard a ticking noise. it didn't bother me at first cause i thought it was just a rock stuck between the threads of my tire, but the more the drove, the louder it got!! so i pulled over, opened my hood and bamm.. the power steering belt is just twirling away with half of it torn apart. i stopped the car and i took my knife and sliced it off from the pulley. i was wondering, do i have to order this part directly from aem?? or can i go to a parts store, bring in the belt/sample and see if they have it?? i dunno. i'm guessing i have to wait for a week or two if i order it from aem. any idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
Prelude1897 said:
You can just go to any auto part store and buy a new one, cause I had to do that.
i dont know if you understood why he was asking the question.....he meant since the aem belt is longer because of the larger diameter ps pulley, does he have to special order it. i dont know the exact answer to your question (althought i will have to find out soon since i did the same thing to my belt after my aem pulley shredded it too), just go into an auto parts store and ask them for one about 2 inches longer than the stock belt for your car. they should be able to find one for you no problem. if you try it and it doesnt fit, you can return it, so dont worry. im guessing the belt from aem would cost you about 3 times what it would from an auto parts store.

good luck...let me know which one fits!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
You can buy the the power steering belt from any auto parts store..The belt doesn't cost alot at all.. No special belt needed..Just a power steering belt for a Honda Prelude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
i believe the aem part# you are looking for is 2-6500 which cross references to bando part#4pk1065. the bando part# can be cross referenced to Gates, Dayco, or Goodyear. i hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
gman4 said:
You can buy the the power steering belt from any auto parts store..The belt doesn't cost alot at all.. No special belt needed..Just a power steering belt for a Honda Prelude.
dude...youre not reading. he has aem pulleys, which means he uses a larger belt than just the belt you would get for "a honda prelude". pay attention :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
HCarPhreak said:
i believe the aem part# you are looking for is 2-6500 which cross references to bando part#4pk1065. the bando part# can be cross referenced to Gates, Dayco, or Goodyear. i hope this helps.
This guy is right. DAMN you are good Phreak! AEM part number= newer, longer belt. He's right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. i went to a local parts store with the shredded belt and they were able to supply me a goodyear 4pk1065 belt. then i went to a local mechanic and he installed it for $10. actually, i went to an acura dealership first since it was near the parts store and i asked how much they would install the belt for. they said it'll take 30 minutes and it'll cost $39.95. that's nuts, the mechanic who installed the belt took like 3-5 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
copperpot said:
thanks for the replies. i went to a local parts store with the shredded belt and they were able to supply me a goodyear 4pk1065 belt. then i went to a local mechanic and he installed it for $10. actually, i went to an acura dealership first since it was near the parts store and i asked how much they would install the belt for. they said it'll take 30 minutes and it'll cost $39.95. that's nuts, the mechanic who installed the belt took like 3-5 minutes.
Chester Copperpot! Is it really you? hahah j/k lol
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top