Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy at the workshop fucked around with some settings only slightly as he didnt have a dyno, and after that the car ran grerat, very smooth and much more responsive and more mid-end....but after 2 days it's sorta died, back to normal if not worse, could this be the work of obd2? can someone tell me what to do, or what i can do?

also, i know setting vtec point is usless with stock cams, so what setting should io put in the vafc as the 5500rpm on the car is different to the 5500 on the vafc...

can someone also tell me the best vtec on/vtec off setting for a standard b16a?

thanks

· Registered
1,226 Posts
just dont use it yet.

the best settings after installing a VAFC when you have a stock motor and NO dyno are NO change in settings at all. screw balling around with the VAFC without proper knowledge of how to tune it, ESPECIALLY without a dyno, will only cause you problems and will eventually end in engine damage. dont even hook the VAFC up yet (althought you already have) if you dont have the $$$ to get it properly dyno tuned or there is no dyno in your area available at this point in time...im not talking smack here, im just trying to help you out because you/whoever you let touch your VAFC will do damage to your engine by "tinkering" with the settings using guess-work or settings that worked on OTHER peoples setups. never use settings that other people have programmed in on their setups because every motor is different, due to mileage/wear and tear/different mods, etc. etc... i just dont want to hear about you/anyone else doing damage to your ride due to insufficient knowledge or funding because that would be a shame. just take your time with it, if need be you should unplug the vafc from your ecu until you can have it properly dyno tuned. i know the little blue display box on your dash probably looks pretty when it lights up at night and impresses all your friends, but are they still gonna be impressed when your motor blows from having it tuned uncorrectly.

(i know you werent asking for all this, but this question has come up numerous times here in the Si/SiR forum and should be made a "sticky" if enough info can be grabbed about the subject. you'd be surprised as to how many people actually do buy a vafc thinking they will see mega power gains just by plugging it in- like i said before, it will hurt much more then it can help without proper tuning...good luck)

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
MYFLYSI is correct. Don't touch it.

Your best bet is to re-set the vafc, and don't touch anything.

There is a pretty long thread going around in here that I started about the VTEC setting in the b16a. I actually have my VTEC set at 5300RPM. That was the closest I could get to the stock engagment point. Having it set at 5300 did not hurt anything at the track, so I guess it's fine. It still engages at exactly 5500 as usual according to the stock tach.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anfd also..............i just want to make sure that the obd2 isnt going to adjust itself aftyer the vafc settings are changed will they?

i have read many post bout CEL going on, ectect........can anyone give me insight..........

thank you for previous reply btw, it's really hard to get decent replies these days without someone calling you a noob or woteva,...

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
vtecboy said:
anfd also..............i just want to make sure that the obd2 isnt going to adjust itself aftyer the vafc settings are changed will they?

i have read many post bout CEL going on, ectect........can anyone give me insight..........

thank you for previous reply btw, it's really hard to get decent replies these days without someone calling you a noob or woteva,...
Here you go...

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/sho...=47243&perpage=15&highlight=vafc&pagenumber=1

As far as I know, the ECU will not affect VTEC after you have set it by the VAFC. If you read the thread above, you'll see that the VAFC indicates when it engages VTEC as well as when the ECU sends the signal to engage VTEC.

There is an option in the menu to reset the VAFC, but I'll have to go in my car to see it to tell you exactly where to go.

Read the whole thread above, and by then, I'll post how to do it.

BTW: Were here to help, post any other questions you have!!! :D

· Registered
440 Posts
hey this just happen to my friend, his vtec controller is installed, no engine internal mods yet just bolt ons and he has not changed any settings he said and the check engine light came on and he says its running slower, did ur check engine light come on too? tell him to reset the controller even tho he did not change a setting?

· Registered
274 Posts
If you read the VAFC's install manual it's pretty specific to how wires need to be connected. They also say that if it is installed incorrectly, serious engine damage can result. It's pretty easy to wire something backwards, so I would double check everything.

I had a VAFC on stock settings on a Si I used to have and never had a CEL.

If you don't have the manual or updates, go to apex-i's website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.