Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing UT2003 and i've decided i need a new video card....i have a GeForce2 right now....lookin for a fairly good video card from 100-150....anyone have any suggestions? or know a good place to get one?

· Registered
208 Posts
damn, you have high standards! :) i am still on a P3 550MHz with 256Mb SDRAM and a 32Mb Riva TNT2 card on AGP 2x. It is old, but it plays 800x600 good enough for me! Go for a Creative GeForce 4 or something by ATI. You will be happy.

I don't know how much they have in this department, but I found very good prices on other computer stuff at buy.com

· Registered
1,319 Posts
A Geforce 4 440MX will do oooook for now, but I recommend saving up a few more bones and going for one in the Ti line. A 4200 Ti is much faster than the MX'es, and only about $30 more.

4600 Ti is the current top of the Nvidia line.

The Ati new Radeon line is extremely fast, but driver support (esp. in games) is not as good right now as Nvidia's; so if you choose an Ati card at this juncture, stability might not be as good as desired. Still, there are *lots* of good choices out there right now. :)

PNY makes good "reference" cards, meaning they take the core design, and build it exactly to Nvidia specifications. That means you get a basic (meaning cheap too), stable (since they didn't add a bunch of their own shit) card. :D They're my favorite manufacturer.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Fulgore243 said:
A Geforce 4 440MX will do oooook for now, but I recommend saving up a few more bones and going for one in the Ti line. A 4200 Ti is much faster than the MX'es, and only about $30 more.

4600 Ti is the current top of the Nvidia line.
I agree, stay away from the MX cards. I just built a new computer and picked up a Gainward Golden Sample GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP 4X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out Retail. It is only $159 from http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322420 Googlegear is currently running a $0.50 2 day FedEx shipping special.

It's a nice vid card, very overclockable. Standard settings are 250 MHz core and 444 MHz mem. I currently have mine overclocked (very easy with the included software) to 297 MHz core and 545 MHz mem and it's has been rock solid. Not a single crash yet.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes please stay away from the MX series; they are no better than GeForce2s. People buy these cards cause of price but they are a complete ripoff. Stay with the TI series, perhaps the TI500. I also have the TI4200 128mb ddr video card. This video card is the best card for the buck right now, if you have the money to dish out.

· Registered
61 Posts
gainward gf4 ti 4200 64mb ddr 3.3ns.Its the fastest 4200 out it brakes 10000on 3dmark at stock speeds. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...=48&manufactory=1387&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1 its $153.Im currently on the Gainward GF3 ti 200 128mb ddr 4ns and i get 7000in 3dmark with stock speeds.I run UnrealTournament2003 between 30-45FPS at full res and graphics.Also most video cards are cpu dependent so the better the cpu the higher framerates u will see.My aim name and icq # should be in my profile if you have any other questions.

· Registered
211 Posts
hmmmmmmm

Yea I agree the Ti line of Video Cards are great. I have a G-Force3 Ti 500 (64MB DDR ram). I can play any game that is out including UT2003, Mafia, BattleField 1942. If you can find a G-Force3 Ti card it will be cheaper than the newer GForce4 Ti's.

However the new G4 Ti's have 128mb DDR ram.

If you want absolutely the best card out right now , that would be the Radeon 9700. I've read all over that it blows away the G4 Ti's. I had a Raeon 7000 and their software blows badly. They have horrible support and your games could start acting funky.

Just keep in mind that the G-Froce Ti cards have a tendency to run vey hot even though they have a fan on the card. Additional fans may be needed

· Banned
3,307 Posts
Re: hmmmmmmm

SickAssCivicXX said:
Yea I agree the Ti line of Video Cards are great. I have a G-Force3 Ti 500 (64MB DDR ram). I can play any game that is out including UT2003, Mafia, BattleField 1942. If you can find a G-Force3 Ti card it will be cheaper than the newer GForce4 Ti's.

However the new G4 Ti's have 128mb DDR ram.

If you want absolutely the best card out right now , that would be the Radeon 9700. I've read all over that it blows away the G4 Ti's. I had a Raeon 7000 and their software blows badly. They have horrible support and your games could start acting funky.

Just keep in mind that the G-Froce Ti cards have a tendency to run vey hot even though they have a fan on the card. Additional fans may be needed
the 4200 is by far the best bang for the buck..i reccomend completely

as for the 9700...it will completely blow away everything on the market.u guys are right

but dont worry..their driver support isn't near as bad as its been in the past..have no worries if you pick this card up

and as always..if ur gonna do serious overclocking..get a new heatsink and fan..its the smart thing to do

EDIT: oh yea..if you get the 4200..make sure its the 128 mb version and not the 64 ;)

and i'm not sure why you want to upgrade..i'm running a 550 athlon with a 16mb voodoo 3 card..and i play ut2k3 just fine :)

· Registered
3,521 Posts
i don't recommend gf MX stuff.. don't get the value shiet... get the TI... i have a gf3 Ti 200 is it's good. got it for 65 bucks. for 99bucks on pricwatch if you search carefully you can get a gf3TI 500. gf3 TI 500 should be more than enough. i seen the screen shots for UT taken using a Gf3 TI 500 and that shiet looks absolutely amazing. i'm running highest detail with my gf3 ti 200 too.

or if you got the money go for a GF4 Ti 4600 :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.