Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me ideas on how to help her 98 4 dr auto lx for power. She has an intake which helped alot. She doesnt want to spend a ton of $ but also doesnt want the "fart" noise out of the exhaust. Some people mention JET computer mods not the venom cause the venom kills the gas mileage. Headers require full replacement of exhaust so she doesnt want that. NOS she says she doesnt want to blow up although i told her it was pretty safe. Any ideas for cheap mods to help out some.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Maybe full cat back exhaust get a name which will give u a nice sound but how much is just a little i am not sure what the lx has as far as engines goes does it even have SOHC VTEC if so i think turbo would be the most effective way but thats just IMO

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatley non vtec

This engine is single overhead cam without vtec. Dropping new engine is out of the question. She just wants a little more power out of it without sacrificing quietness and gas mileage. My prelude I will be buying will be the supe car. I am going to invest about 10 k in it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
supercharge

Her only option, without sacrificing milage and reliability is supercharging it using JRSC.

If you go the N/A route, it will cost way too much to make an LX go fast.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
supercharger would be very streetable and gives you the torque down low where we need it in civs. a header wont make the car much louder (at least i think) and if you get a 4-2-1 it will give you some more low end torque.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
more power

Hey I know a good exhaust if you want a good power gain without the gay noises of most import exhausts on the market. It's what I run on my 95 civic hatchback. It's called Dynomax or sometimes it's called Ultraflo. But it's an awesome exhaust system. I could definitely feel the extra power and it's more of a deep sound not raspy.

·
Administrator
9,293 Posts
Your going to have trouble getting power out of that car.
first off it is a sohc, second it is a four door, third it is automatic.

My suggestion to you would be don't waste your money trying to mod that car...Save your money up and buy something new.

If she is really set on keeping it and doesn't wanna spend a lot of money I would just recommend H/E the greddy evo is quiet.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
SOHC's have potential :( the world does not revolve around DOHC's. blah blah blah. yes we have only one nut but I gurantee you once i'm done with mine i will woop up on all types of DOHC's. it just takes a little more work to get power out of a SOHC. but if it blows oh well, only a 400-500 dollar loss not a 3-6k loss when getting swapping in a DOHC. ;x

·
Registered
140 Posts
sup pushVTEC... i was wonderin how LOUD ur RM is? with the silencer in is the sound that noticable? o yeah... i been gettin mixed replies about the sound it makes... is it deep and low or is it a million mad bees in a tin can? i wanna buy the RM but its hard to choose because theres too much exhausts systems to choose frum.. thanks dawg...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Head Swap. Swap a Civic EX head on it (d16y8) Check thepartstrader.com for them. I see it here and there. If you dont find it there check a junk yard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am sorry but if you look at my list of cars, my sohc civic is my fastest car. You also have to cosider that it is also a daily driven car that runs high 12's. Oh and did I mention that it is a SOHC. Look at my civic si. It is a dohc and it still runs 14's. Biggest waste of money I ever spent. (Vortech S/C) The total amount of money I spent on the civic si equaly the same amount of money I spent on the sohc civc. Basically put like it like this. You can make any car go fast reguardless of what you have. If you have the time and money to put into it, then it will be fast. Sorry "v00tecsi" but I have to strongly disagree with you

·
Registered
20 Posts
oh and to add on, parts are much cheaper for a sohc vice a dohc. B series engines might be a better platform to work with but don't blatently disreguard the sohc because of what it is.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
emer82o: I absolutly love the sound of my RM and I highly recommend it. It does not sound like a tin can full of bees at all. It has a nice deep tone to it throughout the entire rpm band. Especially once it gets around 4500-5000 it just screams. With the silencer in it is pretty quiet, just a little louder than stock i think.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Supercharger

A supercharger is nice, but you are paying to screw the car up. Unless you put the money in to the engine to protect it from all the more stress you are going to put on it with the supercharger. If she wants more power you might as well buy a new car, for what you would have to do to the engine to keep it from blowing a seal, or busting a cylinder. One more option is to drop in a new engine, but why do that when you can just buy the car with the engine in it already. Also, it is a auto transmission. Trade the car in for something more sportier, put some mods on it and call it good, because you are just going to spend more money than the car is worth to get it to have much more power.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you want quiet and performance and gas mileage the only thing I can think of might be an ignition system. You will get power (minimal) keep it quiet and may get better mileage. Also a cam could give you more power but you may have to give up on the quiet deal. I cant really think of much that would help you are retain all three of the requirements. Somethings gotta give. Either power and no quiet. Or quiet and no power.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Turbo it
GReddy TD04 15g kit will fit
only mod is a new cat and a 90 dgree bend off the throttle body
she'll be happy then about $2000 and she's hooked up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts