Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I really need help, lol.

My Prelude died. Here's the symptoms.

Won't start. Car turns over, but there is no spark, thus it will not start. While the car is turning over, I can hear a "clicking" behind the dash.

Tach and Speedo go NUTS when the car does start, basically they bounce around like crazy. Car sputters all through power band.

Engine Codes:

7 - TPS
12- EGR
14 - IACV
20 - ELD (Electronic Load Detector)

And threw a 23 (knock sensor) once, but I don't think it was serious.

So...my thinking is...that the TPS is bad, explaining the jerky throttle and bouncy everything, sputtering ride. IACV has been changed to a brand new one. and ELD I'm not sure of.

So...I'm thinking agian...that maybe this is the wire harness going bad? Or maybe the ECU? I highly doubt my car has all these bad sensors...though it is possible.

If anyone knows any "tips" to test anything, lemme know, next week I'm going to end up taking out my multi-meter and testing connection on all of the sensors, and maybe see why it won't fire up...*brain hurts*.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
tha_con said:
Won't start. Car turns over, but there is no spark, thus it will not start. While the car is turning over, I can hear a "clicking" behind the dash.

Tach and Speedo go NUTS when the car does start, basically they bounce around like crazy. Car sputters all through power band.
firstly have you done anything to the car recently, couple weeks or so?

secondly ignore the knock sensor, egr, eld, and iacv codes. all of those can be reprocussion codes from what real problem is. it is also highly likely that your tps code is bullshit too. check it anyway for the hell of it.

start my checking the tps voltage, (car off of course) .485 for closed throttle, 5.0 for 100% open throttle. you will need two people to do this but check to see if the voltage rises linear as you apply throttle.

your real problem is what i qouted above. no spark. go through the list of why you wouldnt have spark, easiest to hardest. if it were me i would go in this order.

plugs (most likely not)
wires, ohm them out they should be less then 12 ohms
dizzy cap, worn...broken...
rotor, is it even still attached....worn...broken
dizzy, is it siezed (most likely not if the car can start)
coil, does it ohm out right?
ignitor, does it ohm out right, is it burnt. just like craig it is very possible that this piece could check out fine and still be the problem.
fuses and relays, obviously you'll have to see if they are good or bad
ecu......find someone you can swap out with before you shell out for this.

while looking at all of those items check for loose connections at each item. check for continuity to ground on all signal wires, there should be NONE.


if all that fails replace the ignitor. its the only piece that can go bad and not show itself as being bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to love this rick. Wasn't ANYTHING we thought it was, at all.

It was a ground wire.

upon closer inspection, I noticed that one bold had come lose from my engine mount, and I *think* that the additional vibration might have losend up the ground bolt, hence the wire came free, and everything went nuts.

ANyway, still one thing, I'm throwing a code 14, IACV...this has been plauging me for ages. I've replaced the sensor, and still I'm throwin a code. I have my Helms manual, but it doesn't seem to be helping me, any suggestions? I dunno what could make this go off...I thought it would be fine..but I guess not?

Thanks man :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
tha_con said:
You're going to love this rick. Wasn't ANYTHING we thought it was, at all.

It was a ground wire.

upon closer inspection, I noticed that one bold had come lose from my engine mount, and I *think* that the additional vibration might have losend up the ground bolt, hence the wire came free, and everything went nuts.

ANyway, still one thing, I'm throwing a code 14, IACV...this has been plauging me for ages. I've replaced the sensor, and still I'm throwin a code. I have my Helms manual, but it doesn't seem to be helping me, any suggestions? I dunno what could make this go off...I thought it would be fine..but I guess not?

Thanks man :)
from your engine mount........if thats the case you might wanna check the others :fear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
98Vtec said:
from your engine mount........if thats the case you might wanna check the others :fear
Yep, I did that right when I found that one :) All of the others are in tact and torqued down, but I'm getting a new front mount, it's had a beating since the bolts came lose. Suxors but oh well, I also got some poly bushings for the engine mounts, hopefully it'll re-inforce them. Rubber doesn't hold up well here in KS.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top