Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what's goin on.

So I've had my 99 Si-G (ex to you americans :p) for about 3.5 years, and think it's time to get something newer now that I'm done university. There are some different cars I'm considering, looking for some input.

I'd like something fun and quick. I'm not looking for something fast, just something that will pull you into your seat if you mash the gas, something my car doesn't do. I'm not overly worried about fuel economy, everything will be similar in terms of insurance costs. Reliabilty would be nice, my civic has 265k and runs amazing, I've only had to spend $70 on it short of regular oil changes, I have friends with 5+ year newer cars who have put more into them then mine lol.

I'm basing my pricing off prices I've seen on kijiji in the southern ontario area as it's cheap to fly their and drive home (I've done this twice now).

Cars I'm considering:

04-05 Mazda Rx8 $9-11k
  • Can be had for cheap considering the initial cost, and being newer.
  • Poor fuel economy, not the most reliable, and I haven't a clue about working on rotarys.
  • Newer nice looking car, and the opening rear doors are convienient.
  • RWD 6spd
99-01 Audi a4 $5-7k
  • Nice looks and luxirious interior
  • factory turbo 1.8T w/ 5spd
  • Quatro is a big plus
  • Large aftermarket
02-04 Subaru WRX $9-13k
  • Higher mileage at the price I'm looking at
  • AWD is great, and factory turbo
02+ Civic SiR hatch $5-7k
  • Easily in my budget, after selling my car I wouldn't need much extra
  • 160hp k20 5spd
  • Unfortunately its FWD, which I swore my next car wouldn't be.
  • relaible (I'd assume) and good fuel economy
02+ RSX Type S $6-9k
  • These are a lot cheaper then I expected, I wasn't even considering them as I thought it would be too pricey
  • I love the coupe/hatch. When I get a dog, I could still keep the car. And it'll fit 3 ppl snowboard gear
  • 200hp 6spd (how quick is this car?)
  • Great looks, nice interior, and heated seats, which I really really want)
  • Again, unfortunately FWD
00+ Honda S2000 $9k+
  • only 2 seats
  • great looks
  • good performance
  • If I looked hard enough I might get a good enough deal where I could afford one
02+ Lexus IS $8k+
  • near impossible to find in manual, and most likely too expensive. But they are nice cars
So if I haven't put you to sleep yet, thanks lol.
I would really like something RWD or AWD, but the civic and rsx are gentle on my budget. And even my civic is really fun to drive, so the nearly double horse power in the RSX would be nice. 127hp to 200hp I believe.

What do you guys think? I know posting on SHO there may be bias, but hell I'm biased too, I love my car lol. An s2k would be nice too, but would be tough finding a price I could live with. I'm looking to spend $10k or less idealy. The 6-8k range would be fantastic.

If you guys think of something that would be worth checking out lemme know, otherwise any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone :ninja

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
you could get an 06 S60 R for under 13k. Class, 4wd, turbo ok on gas, 4 doors and roomy.

I'd mob one if I had some $$ and I didn't love my 850 so much

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
a bimmer wouldn't be a poor choice either

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
back from the fucking dead lol......

rx8's are fucking trash.

get s2k, bmw, audi and maybe a volvo(ford)

but audi's and rx8's are probably the slowest of the cars you mentioned in your price range.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that volvo looks ok but it doesnt jump out at me, and being more expensive then every other car I'm considering makes it a no go lol.

A BMW would be nice, the only thing is there seem to be so many different variations of the 3 series it gets confusing. And are they expensive to maintain, being a BMW? I mean and Audi a4 is basically a VW golf with quatro AFAIK.

If I went 3 series I'd want manual 2dr coupe, which numbers should I be looking at and what are the differences (ie 318i 325i etc)?

The rx8 is nice mainly due to being so new for a good price. But the rotary worries me, I think I'd only buy one if I found a steal of a deal.

Darkness, with the a4, is it mainly lack of power making it slow? I would assume its pretty heavy for 150hp, and its got descent torque, and starts really low in the RPM range. Also if I went with an a4, I'd have money to throw at it since the car is less up front. A chip, exhaust, and intake I believe would be around the $2k mark, and may wake it up a bit?

s2k is sexy but 2 seats being my only car is a little impractical. Whatever I buy will be my DD, including winter in calgary. Would you still recomend an s2k?

Thanks for all the input so far guys. What about the SiR or type S?

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
audi's are by far, from my experience, the biggest headache maintenance wise. Audi/VW parts are hella expensive. They are nice tho. But the a4 with maybe 200hp and at least a 3800lb car is gonna be slow, they are slow. I'd opt for a v6 powerd car, they still aren't fast, but they can at least get out of their own way.

And you listed that you could afford an STI for like 9-13, so I thought an S60 might be in your price range. And I'd much rather have an S60 than a stupid fan boi glorified WRX. I mean, they both have 300 hp and AWD. I'd also take it over the audi.

As far as bmw's go, the number usually annotates displacement. 325 means its got the 2.5l engine, 328 means it has the 2.8l engine, ect.

From experience with slightly older bimmers, they really aren't too terrible to maintain, but parts can get kinda steep.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
lol at finding an sti for 13K. and audi's are slow and painful to maintain

bmw aren't bad. it's just an i-6 with vvt. nothing special. i like that the motor is not transverse mounted like audi's everything in the audi engine bay is a pita.

but rx-8's shouldn't even be on the list. i don't even know why somebody would buy one.....lets get an underpowered 1.3 liter that gets worse gas mileage than a 3800lbs 400hp bmw m5 and it makes 115 wtq lol

s2k's are fucking nice. just wish they made a bigger version with a back seat

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, the number thing makes sense for the 3 series, never would have thought of that.

STi's are far out of my price range, it's just the wrx that would possibly be affordable lol. As for performance, do remember everything I'm looking at is being compared to a 99 civic with a d16y8. So I think everything in this list will be atleast a little quicker lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
s2k's are fucking nice. just wish they made a bigger version with a back seat
They are, and I'd love to get one. A friend of mine has a boosted 450hp s2k. Absolutely gorgeous. I could even live without the backseat, the thing for me though is how would it be driving that thing in the winter.

And don't s2k's have even less torque then an rx8? I know their hp is nearly identical

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
IMO, RX8's are quite fun to drive, but I would't own one. The rotary has some issues, and the gas mileage is pretty poor.

S2k is never a bad choice.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
They are, and I'd love to get one. A friend of mine has a boosted 450hp s2k. Absolutely gorgeous. I could even live without the backseat, the thing for me though is how would it be driving that thing in the winter.

And don't s2k's have even less torque then an rx8? I know their hp is nearly identical
no after mazda lied about the initial power of the rx8 and had to refund their owners. they are still overrating the cars. they only dyno aroudn 180-185 rwhp vs the s2k dynoing around 205-212 whp. they are fucking trash

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no after mazda lied about the initial power of the rx8 and had to refund their owners. they are still overrating the cars. they only dyno aroudn 180-185 rwhp vs the s2k dynoing around 205-212 whp. they are fucking trash
ok fair enough. But then what about my other question, how would an s2k be as a DD, even in canadian winters?

You guys have any thoughts about the SiR and RSX-S, at their given price points?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol so in other words they really dont fit what I need in a car then. Given the fact winter is gonna happen, I guess an s2k is out of the cards for me, atleast for another year or two.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
then i have to pay for storage, find storage, and I already own a civic lol. I'd be selling my civic, buying and s2k and an older civic, and only get to drive the s2k 6 months a year. Just seems impractical given my current needs. If I get a newer vehicle, I want something I can drive year round.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Any RWD vehicle in winter will suck the same as the next.

The Civic is underpowered, nimble but offers no real power unless you swap in a K20A or K20A2 from the RSX/Integra Type-R or Type-S. The Type-S should give you what you need, but too much performance would become a hassle in the snow, but again that depends on how much you are going for.

As for AWD, why not get the 98-01 WRX 2.5RS Coupe? You'll get a coupe, a back seat, AWD, and any newer motor is practically a straight swap in. And the price is cheaper to roughly the same as the Civic, so you can throw come extra money at the car, like the 05+ STI motor. The car doesn't look bad either, much more aggressive looking than the round eye'd WRX.

The Audi is slow, but Audi's have been more show and comfort than speed IMO.

Bimmer's are nice, but unless you find and pick up the AWD ones, winter driving will be a hassle. S2k's are a blast, but winter driving isn't the best, the IS300 is RWD as well, and again, winter driving isn't the best. Each can be done, but you have to be careful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks legacy, great points. I've always liked the older subarus, especially the 2 door ones. That being said I'm trying to get something newer then my 99, and I don't want anything that would start requiring engine swaps.

If I got the civic, I/H/E, and MAYBE a turbo would be the only routes I'd consider.

As for the RSX, thats why I was hoping someone would have personal input. It's a car I could own for a year or two, not lose too much money reselling it, and I would think it has atleast a little power to put you in your seat. The only downside is FWD, but then again RWD may be a pain in the winter.

The reason I was thinking audi was the AWD, and a large aftermarket for the 1.8T. Although I didn't realize it was around 3800lbs.

I've also considered an Auid TT 225hp 6spd. Tops out my budget though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts