Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new PC. I currently have a 4 year old Pentium 3 HP. It works fine and does everything I need it to but I just have that urge to upgrade. I don't want to build my own so I'm looking at both Dell and Alienware. I figure these two can be compared because most of the main components are the same. I've configured some systems and the Aliernware systems always come out a little more expensive. I'm looking for those of you who have experience with either company or both. Any comments or suggestions about buying from these two companies, once again that's Dell and Alienware.

I'm not a crazy hardcore gamer but if I had a PC that could perform I might get into it. I mostly just use my computer to surf the internet and to listen to music. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

::edit::

Fuck it. I'm gonna go with Dell. I won't be able to tell where the $500 more for the Alienware PC went anyways.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
My fiend just bought a dell for 500 bones and hes very satisfied. The only thing you may want to upgrade is you may wann get more memory cause i think most dells only come with 128mb and windows xp requires 128mb just to idle. but other than that its a really good deal. I think that the alienware's are way overpriced.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trail_boss2 said:
My fiend just bought a dell for 500 bones and hes very satisfied. The only thing you may want to upgrade is you may wann get more memory cause i think most dells only come with 128mb and windows xp requires 128mb just to idle. but other than that its a really good deal. I think that the alienware's are way overpriced.
I'm getting 512mb, the system I've priced comes to around $2200 and that includes an 18" flat LCD.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trail_boss2 said:
well shit ur good to go then, what are the rest of the specs on the machine?
2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading Technology. 80GB hard drive. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card. DVD player. CD-RW. The ususal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
CRXican said:
2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading Technology. 80GB hard drive. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card. DVD player. CD-RW. The ususal.
Spend a little more and buy a DVD-Burner and you might wanna choose a larger harddrive unless if you dont need that much space.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I acutally changed my mind again. I think I'm going with a Sony. It had the DVD-R and a 120Gig hard drive. Only thing I don't like is the Nvidia grapics card but I can change that later.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't want to be too annoying and start a new thread but I wanted to get some opinions. I decided I like Sony over Dell but does anyone have any experience with Sony Desktop computers? Any input would be helpful, thanks.

::edit::

I find it very interesting that 61 of you asshats looked at this thread while only one responded. This is a fucking website so you're all using a computer. Give me some opinions on the computer you're using or have used. Even one sentence would help. Please and Thank You.

·
Registered
390 Posts
dell n sony are very good pick. dont spend the extra money on alienware if you are not a big gamer

just gotta warn you on the base level dell pc like the 2000 series it may be priced at $500 but when you start to add the stuff you want from them like more ram n hd space it can get to $1000 easily.

if u gonna go with dell n if you dont really want a high end system but a good one get the 4000 series n get the the lowest amount of ram from them. upgrade the ram yourself its cheaper

just wat ever you do dont get hp/compaq, emachine, gateway..... or any other no name company computer

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm liking the Sony over the Dells. The Dell computers seem to get expensive fast and I'd rather buy from a local store, easier to get service that way if anything goes wrong. I'm just hoping to get some feedback from Sony computer users.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
CRXican said:
What does that mean?
means he's a retard that knows nothing about sony computers :rolleyes:

sony is overprice imo...they look pretty..kinda like macs, but dont perform

alienware is overpriced..gamer or not...trash

dell is the best, but buying hp/compaq isn't a bad route either

and as for emachines...i know everyone hates on them...but they are by far the best deal out there

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
accord 4 me said:
means he's a retard that knows nothing about sony computers :rolleyes:

sony is overprice imo...they look pretty..kinda like macs, but dont perform

alienware is overpriced..gamer or not...trash

dell is the best, but buying hp/compaq isn't a bad route either

and as for emachines...i know everyone hates on them...but they are by far the best deal out there
Are you speaking from experience? If so please elaborate.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
CRXican said:
Are you speaking from experience? If so please elaborate.
i havent owned a sony but i know of friends that have had them...not bad computers in any way, i just know there are better deals out there

i have owned dell, hp and compaq, can't go wrong with any of them

emachines used to be crap...but i really do think they're the best deal out there right now...go to the site and build one and see for yourself

or if youre brave, just build your own, i'd reccomend that over any company

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
accord 4 me said:
i havent owned a sony but i know of friends that have had them...not bad computers in any way, i just know there are better deals out there

i have owned dell, hp and compaq, can't go wrong with any of them

emachines used to be crap...but i really do think they're the best deal out there right now...go to the site and build one and see for yourself

or if youre brave, just build your own, i'd reccomend that over any company
Well when it comes down to it they all come with the same components so I guess it just depends which has the best build quailty and reliablity. Which of the comps that you've had have you liked most?

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
CRXican said:
Well when it comes down to it they all come with the same components so I guess it just depends which has the best build quailty and reliablity. Which of the comps that you've had have you liked most?
dell

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
accord 4 me said:
Damn and I had just convinced myself I didn't like the Dells, I guess I'll just keep going to their website and building different computers till I find the one that's just perfect. Would you reccomened I get a Dell flat LCD as well cause that was my original plan.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
CRXican said:
Damn and I had just convinced myself I didn't like the Dells, I guess I'll just keep going to their website and building different computers till I find the one that's just perfect. Would you reccomened I get a Dell flat LCD as well cause that was my original plan.
i dont like lcd's...crts look soooooo much better

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
accord 4 me said:
i dont like lcd's...crts look soooooo much better
Ya, my 17" CRT is really clear. I just like the compact size of the LCDs. However if I didn't get the big, flat LCD that sould save a grip of money. I could always get one later I guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts