Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...To suspensions. Jeez you perv why does it always have to be about sex? Anyway before yall go off bashing me about searching first and crap ive noticed over time peoples opinions about certian products/brands change, thats why im asking this fairly common question: What should I do with my suspension setup? This is a daily driven car and occasional track car. Its a 2002 Civic Si. Im looking for a slight drop nothing more than about 1.5in because the roads here suck. I need to stiffen up this suspension, so what is everyones opinions on the best springs/shocks/sway bars/braces/etc. Are tie bars really worth the money or are they just for show mainly? Im not wanting coilovers because this is my daily driver and I dont feel like balancing all 4 corners just for a daily driver. So help me out here guys.

Also, ill have some falken azenias(sp?) soon so ive got the rubber taken care of.

·
Registered
974 Posts
rear sway bar 1st, in my opinion they help out more then anything else, takes away alot of that pesky understeer. After that, most people would tell you get konis and ground controls. In my opinion its to much money for a daily driver's suspension, you wont use the extra help it gives, and you dont want coilovers anyway.

Next i got H&R sports (they lower about 1.7" but thast as close as i could find to 1.5 and still get some performence out of the springs), and tokico illumnias. Handle real nice. and the spring shock combo only cost me 400 dollars.

as for strut bars, i belive the 2002 civic si's had a front one already? The rear one will do little to help you on a daily driver, and cut into your luggage space.

And tiebars are useful, there is no point to buying one of the 300 dollar name brand ones, an ebay one for 40 dollars would work just as well. Its not an amazing difference, but it helps.

There you go, you can redo your whole suspension for about 600 dollars! and it will be able to handle anything that a normal road could throw at it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kommon_sense said:
start from the ground and work your way in...

tire first...
shocks/springs second...
ties/sways last
Thats the order I was thinking about doing it in, thanks.

Another quick question, do you think that a spring that only drops a little over 1 inch would be ok to use on the stock shocks? Im not exactly rich right now so I am thinking about ordering them seperately and I was wondering if it would be alright to put them on the stock shocks until I can get some aftermarket ones. Would it affect the perforance of the springs when I finally get the aftermarket shocks?

·
Registered
974 Posts
it would probly be alright for a while, maybe 2 or 3 months. It wont affect the strength of the spring when you put on the new shocks.

but remeber shocks help handling almost as much as springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts