Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need help to make a GOOD custom Turbo setup. The engine is a d16a6. I need to know everything guys. What materials do I need. Leave nothing out. List everything please. I want a setup taht will enable me to push out aobut 200whp. I also want the least amount of alg as possible. Can you guys please list your ideas for me thanks.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
1) turbo....a t3 series trubo would be good for a d-series motor
2)intercooler...you'll need it if you want to run 6lbs or higher
3)wastegate....something has to regulate the boost
4)bov....this is a must, helps protect turbo life
5)custom IC pipes
6)boost controller
7)2 oil lines for turbo w/ fitting for attachment to the back of the block
8)oil pan tapped for oil return line
9)vacuum hose for wastegate, blow off valve, and boost gauge
10)boost gauge, a/f gauge
11) some sort of fuel management unit..cartech or vortech (12:1ratio)
12)hi-flo fuel pump

i think i listed mostly everything...this is good for 8lbs of boost. if you wanna go any higher you might want to consider beefing up the bottom end and getting a fuel management system or fuel injectors w/ a fuel controller. theres a lot of factors that come to play when you put on a turbo plus a lot of choices.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
i fergot the hoses and misc clamps and stuff

· Registered
321 Posts
200whp? That's all. with a GReddy kit and a larger intercooler you should get very close, and pretty much zero lag once in the poewerband. I would start with internals first though, stronger rods and pistons are a must if driven daily.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
heres a budget setup that im going to use on my brothers crx when he gets it.....ima build it for him

a big t3 turbo out of older thunderbirds(very similar to t3super60), eclipse side mount IC with modified IC outlets to a bigger pipe diameter, 1st gen eclipse bov, custom charger pipes, custom turbo manifold done at a shop with a wastegate flange, tial 35mm wastegate, vortech 12:1 fmu, hiflo fuel pump....plus all the misc lines, tubing and stuff.

im going to expect to spend about 1200 bucks on my bros car.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Well, you can go buy a complete kit....

Or go to the JY turbo site AbaZ made:Homemadeturbo.com. It is extremely informative.

BTW- a T3(or even an IHI) off a T-Bird Turbocoupe and the TD05 off a 1st gen DSM already have internal wastegates, so dont shell out for an expensive external when you dont need it.

Also, 200whp is wringing out the little D16's bottom end, so make sure its tuned well.

Hell, if 200hp is all you want, a Greddy kit with an intercooler isnt a bad idea, just get a blow off valve for it and an electronic boost controllerand you're pretty well set.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The entire reason for me wanting to go with a custom turbo is so that I can use used parts and save a lot of money but hopefully still get very goo results and have 200+ hp. I want to end up in the range between 200-250whp. Thanks for the info though.

· Registered
71 Posts
You prob wont get 200whp with just the turbo, maybe what like 170? So i say beef up the bottom end first like someone said then start the turbo. You can be gettin all your information while your building the bottom end, or even buying the misc. parts you need.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
anything over 170-180 whp beef up the bottom end....in otherwords, dont go over 8lbs.

i knew the tbird turbo has an intercooler...i jes thought if you had a custom manifold made for the turbo you minus well convert to an external wastegate.

· Registered
321 Posts
The GReddy kit is so inexpensive nowadays, and if you have modest goals, it will bolt on with relatively few problems. Like I said before, internals are a must!!! There's no way that motor will survive on stock internals under that kind of boost. At the very least, if you want to blow up your motor eventually and not do internals, get a thick head gasket to lower compression.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
good price for new greddy turbo kit:
www.1320motorsport.com
the price is bout 1550

the greddy kit is good for about 15psi of boost

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.