Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i was driving the rex this morning and i was coastin about 40-45ish in 3rd... Then Out of nowhere the car shuts off....so i decided to start the car while i was still rolling and just drive on. But I can't pull the car out of 3rd. It's Like someone has holding it back from moving ANYWHERE. So i ended up coasting the car to a near-by street. I start the car up but then Still can't move the stick out of gear. So i tried juss trying to see if the car will start off in 3rd. NOPE sounds like it's trying to take off in 5th and then Stalls out. Car doesn't move Period. It So happend my parents were passing by so they went behind me and pushed the car.. I tried to slip the clutch to see if it would catch but nothing. The tach moved up anytime i tried releasing the clutch and try to "drive" it.. The Stick itself was SUPER hard to move around.....So i parked it at my Cousin's house cause I was close to it.

Now... Could this Be my Tranny? Axles? Shift Linkage? Clutch? Throw-out bearing? What are some signs of those problems?

Info on the Car: 1990 CRX Si With the Stock D16A6 and Tranny.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Well It's definitely the the trans. I would say find one real cheap and just swap it out. This isnt the easiest job in the world, though. Make sure you have your manual for the car like a Chilton's or a Hayne's are some good ones and go to town. I would start by disassembling everything then go from there and look for anything that seems out of place. Start with the trans......IDK what else I would do....

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
last time i was driving and all of a sudden my car shut off. the problem there was my distributer. i didn't have any problems with my gears being stuck though.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't think I'd buy a new tranny and go through the trouble of swapping it, when it could be the shift linkage. I say get under there and see if your linkage is messed up, which is what it sounds like. Maybe the engine-braking when you were crusing in third bent something from the motion it doesn't usually twist. But, definently check that linkage out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Kewl i'll check out the Linkage 1st... I mean does all that seem right? The Stick is hard to move.. not lose like how it should be.. and when i try to drive it.. the tach registers but the car dies out.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
BurntRubber87 said:
I don't think I'd buy a new tranny and go through the trouble of swapping it, when it could be the shift linkage. I say get under there and see if your linkage is messed up, which is what it sounds like. Maybe the engine-braking when you were crusing in third bent something from the motion it doesn't usually twist. But, definently check that linkage out.

sounds like a linkage thing, and the shutting off sounds like some sort of intermittant electrical problem... if it keeps happening, try just rewiring the ignition circuit... thats what we had to do in my dads car

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
tranny related problem for sure. you'll have to remove the tranny and inspect the clutch disk and pressure plate and if those check out fine then you'll have to take appart the transmission.
i doubt there is anything wrong with the linkage since you went shifting at the time and you didnt mention about having previous problems with the linkage.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Check it out. Might be the clutch FINALLY gave out. You know you need a new one. Step up. You can HAVE my Si tranny. Let's go bish!

·
Registered
969 Posts
lugnutRS said:
Check it out. Might be the clutch FINALLY gave out. You know you need a new one. Step up. You can HAVE my Si tranny. Let's go bish!
Hey I might take that....but I need the nFo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol... sounds good to me... Yo It's all about the " Iron Horses " =]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts