Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just recently bought a 1989 Honda Prelude for 75 dollas. but the thing is it needs a new engine because when the previous owner was driving it the timing belt snapped which caused the pistons to hit the valves. well now there is a new timing belt on it but instead of just repalcing the bent valves, my boyfriend and i want to replace the whole engine. so if anyone can help me out i would really like to know what engines will convert into an 89 prelude, other then an 89 prelude engine.
thank you

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The base engine was a 2.0L carburated engine. It used two side-draft carbs and was an SOHC motor. I think it was the B20A4
The B20A5 was an optional engine. Fuel injected and DOHC. 135 hp.
The B21A1 was also an optional engine from the 90-91 prelude Si. 140hp i think

Its also possible to swap an H22 into a third gen prelude, but that takes a little more work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
89 Prelude...what model is it? S, or 2.0Si?

If it has the b20a5, then you can go JDM B20a for $700.USD. Low mileage motor, probably off an automatic, plus it's a direct fit, all sensors and manifolds go on.

If it's an S, then you can also get a JDM b20a which is carb`ed. Doing a F/I motor swap into a S Lude is a pain. :noo

h22...yeah right. No one makes mounts. The end of that...for a long time already!
:noo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, that's DailyInterlude on pp.com
You also found that on wikipedia right? :rolleyes

Only way to get mounts is by custom...with cores, etc.
Place racing is out of business.

Im being realistic, it's not worth it, unless you really want to do it which will be mad $$$ and patience...

:)

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Mr.13Luder said:
Yeah, that's DailyInterlude on pp.com
You also found that on wikipedia right? :rolleyes

Only way to get mounts is by custom...with cores, etc.
Place racing is out of business.

Im being realistic, it's not worth it, unless you really want to do it which will be mad $$$ and patience...

:)

like i said...it requires a little more work. I gave her three realistic options, and then a unicorn. Everyone needs a unicorn to think about because once you start thinking only inside the box...whats the point?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
h22lude said:
It takes a lot of work for an H22A to be swapped into a 3rd Gen Prelude??? It actually takes a lot of work to just swap the H22A into a Prelude 4th Gen itself. I would go the H22A route, the only setback is that you'll need the motor mounts and also the ECU... I beleive this will take at least 2 weeks to locate wire by wire from each ECU. And actually it is not that bad, just relocate the power locks, power windows, sunroof, etc...

It will be even better to get the whole engine harnesses from a local junker and just plug and play :number1

P.S.
By the way? What is this weird looking cone on your intake pipe? :confused

1 - 10 of 10 Posts