Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 5th gen is stuck in reverse. I can not put it into neutral or even get it out of reverse gear. I can put the stick into the 5th gear slot but it is still stuck in reverse. It feels really mushy when I try to push the stick. I can push the car if I press in the clutch. This is on a rebuilt tranny. Do I need a new tranny, clutch or is it something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

p.s. if I need a new tranny, anyone know where I can get a 4th gen vtec/si tranny ? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the input guys, I'll report back on Monday once I get it check, cross my fingers hopefully its just the cables. Car is still stuck a friend's drive way. Hey 4bidden, watever happened to the 5th gen short shifter that you were working on?

·
Registered
621 Posts
4bidden said:
No, all 4gen+ (maybe earlier, not sure) use cable shifters. The transmission itself is hydro though.
i know, but the 5th gen shifter is also hydro..

i'll take pics of what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
First off, did you Misshift trying to go into 3rd gear???

sometimes if you misshift going into third you get locked out of reverse...or sometimes locked into reverse.

try this.

Get into the car and start the car.....rev the engine up like your going to take off going in reverse, apply pressure to put the shifter into neutral while slowly letting out the clutch...keep applying pressure.....it should pop into neutral after a little grinding. Now you will be happy and everything...but when you try and go into reverse....it will block you out. do the same thing above to get the car back into reverse. work it in a few times like this and it should go back to normal.

its worth a try, I got locked out of reverse once and a buddy of mine told me this little trick. I tried it and it worked.....my tranny went back to normal and its been working normal ever since(8 months or so).

there still is hope!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
jdmlude said:
i know, but the 5th gen shifter is also hydro..

i'll take pics of what i'm talking about.
The transmission is shifted by cables, I promise.

lOOkatme - Doubt that will help him. The fact that he said it was "mushy" when pushing it up to 5th gear area is a dead give away the cable is cracked or broken.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
4bidden said:
The transmission is shifted by cables, I promise.

lOOkatme - Doubt that will help him. The fact that he said it was "mushy" when pushing it up to 5th gear area is a dead give away the cable is cracked or broken.
yea, probably is!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey 4bidden, you're on the money. It is the shift cables. Going to have my friend order some new ones for me. Any tips or will the helms manual will do just fine? Thanks for all the input and especially you 4bidden. Thanks a million, saved me a lot of headaches!!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
btvudoo said:
Hey 4bidden, you're on the money. It is the shift cables. Going to have my friend order some new ones for me. Any tips or will the helms manual will do just fine? Thanks for all the input and especially you 4bidden. Thanks a million, saved me a lot of headaches!!
Thank you, thank you. At least someone appreciates me around here.

Install is fairly simple, the only thing that sucks is that you have to remove the heat shield above the exhaust to get to 2 bolts that secure the linkage. There is a bracket that also secures the linkage to the rear crossmember that is a pain to get in I thought. I fed the linkage down from the engine compartment and then pushed it up through the hole in the floorboard. Try not to bend the cables more than they want to or you will have this problem again. This happened because when you got your rebuild they bent your cables too much.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quite frankly I'm impressed, this is why I read SHO cause the people here actually know what they're talking about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts