Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been covered many times..but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing things right. I recently bought a D16y8 EX motor, and have just tooken out the head. I'm swapping this into a D16y7. Basically all i need to do is..remove the Y7 head(removing lines,wires,bolts,etc.) same as removing the Y8 head. Swap the Y8 head into the Y7 block. I'm just worried about making all this work(wiring). I am using the Y8 manifold and TB, what do i need to wire? Also..I am using the EX ecu.

·
Registered
478 Posts
itll start.

be prepared to chase down CEL's.. this is why i tell people dont even bother adding vtec to the obd-II's.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
It's not all that bad really, BUT...the Y8 ecu MUST be of the same vintage as your car!!! As in OBD2a (96-98) or OBD2b (99-00) or it will never never work properly. Ever.

With that out of the way there are only a few steps to take, you can get it to work without CEL's...the main things are:
1) Convert your idle air control valve plug from 3-wire to the round 2-wire. Remove the orange wire from it's slot and move it to the empty knock sensor location. On the engine side, pull the orange one (not used with 2-wire IACV) down to where the knock sensor will be, and move the knock sensor over from the Y8 block to the Y7. The hole is there.
2) You will now need to add 2 wires into the empty ECU holes: 1 for VTEC solenoid & 1 for VTEC pressure sensor. A third wire will be needed for the pressure sensor plug, that one will tap into one of the brown power distribution wires in the harness, on the engine side.
3) That's about it for ECU side of things, there will be some lengthening or moving of branches such as the O2 sensors which need to be moved down to the EX cat location, or get an extension harness for those.

Here are the pin locations you need to use for this depending on what ecu/harness you are working with. Also, I have some spare connectors and wires with ECU terminals on them for easily adding the VTEC wires you need. Let me know if interested.

96-98 ECU:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTk5NzM4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=
99-00 ECU:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTk5NzM5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using the OBD2b ecu..
Where can i find the brown power distribution wires? Everything seems to be done for me..except
-Wire up the IACV
-Wire up VTEC
-Wire up the Vtec pressure sensor
-Wire the IAT

seems like that is everything. I am using the P2E ecu right now, is that why i can't feel any gains so far? I know i haven't completed yet, but..i can't help it!

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Without VTEC activated the Y8 head may even lose power compared to the Y7. The Y7 cam lobes are larger then the primary lobes on the Y8, it's the VTEC lobes that provide the extra hp so you have to get those working or don't expect anything. Also if you really want a big difference you should get a Y8 trans for the off-the-line pull from the shorter gearing.

The power block is one of the 2 big connectors on the harness under the manifold that have caps on them. But give me a chance tonight to double-check that it goes to the power block and not to a ground instead...that could mess up your ecu or the sensor and I don't want to be responsible for that! Are you interested in getting some wires and connectors from me to finish the job?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found an extra engine harness upstairs. I don't know what year/model it's from, but i found a 2-wire circle plug.
As for the Y8 transmission, I have it in my garage. Just haven't had the chance to start on that yet. I am still doing the mini-me, hopefully I'll get done soon. Again, I want to thank you for helping me. Much appreciated...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.