Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a new zoom lens for my d50.

i don't want to spend really over $200 right now as i'm buying a house next week, so what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BabyVadah said:
If you can score a used Nikon 70-210mm D or non D, get that. Otherwise either the Nikon 55-200mm DX or even better the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG. Personally, i'd go for the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm
the 70-210's carry a rather hefty premium for a lens that's been out of production for 6+ years, so i'll probably stray away from that.

the sigma looks like something i could use, but i think i'm leaning towards this lens: Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor Lens

ken's review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

thanks for the options vadah :tu

lmk what you think

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
before I got my nikkor 17-200 DX VR, I was rocking the sigma 17-200 as my workhorse lens. It's a bit above the price point, but haveing the huge zoom range is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cryogen97 said:
before I got my nikkor 17-200 DX VR, I was rocking the sigma 17-200 as my workhorse lens. It's a bit above the price point, but haveing the huge zoom range is a wonderful thing.
17-200? do you mean 18-200? i can't find anything about a 17-200mm lens

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
200mm lens is like, what, 300mm film?

so a 300mm lens would be like -- 450? is my thinking here correct?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BabyVadah said:
He meant 18-200vr.
And the 70-210 doesn't go for $400+, well at least not now. You can find them for $120-$200 range, mostly like $150. And yes, 200mm in digi like 300mm in film, cuz of the crop factor. For Nikon just multiply by 1.5.
the only versions i could find were the D's and they were selling for $300 +

·
Registered
226 Posts
cryogen97 said:
I just ordered my Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. I can't wait to get it!!!!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IISaiNtII said:
i want a new zoom lens for my d50.

i don't want to spend really over $200 right now as i'm buying a house next week, so what do you guys suggest?
. :aww

i've got a wide angle 28-80 (or 25-80... can't remember exactly right now)

but for the sporting events i attend i need a decent zoom lens that's not going to break my pocketbook.

i may order the VR lens after awhile, but i really just want something to get me by for a year or so.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Alot of times for sporting events with my film camera I end up taking the best shots at 100mm or less but granted I am usually on the court taking pics for the paper. If your shooting basketball by the time they get to the goal on your end you need to be at about 70mm and at the far end of the court if you try to get those too you need to be at 300 for a half way decent shot. I usually start tracking the ball at half court...but thats me. I find sporting events useless to take shots at unless you get a press pass...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
side note on sporting events, when i went to the magic game .. some security dood said i couldnt use my 70-200L F/4 .. his excuse was that my lens takes too good of pictures and that i would sell it on the internet .. :confused .. i think he was just hating cuz i was at a magic game and i was wearing a houston rockets yao ming jersey. hatin on the asian brudda!!! lol j/k

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
What the secuerty guard said was prob true. Often times venues will only allow disosable cameras becasue otherwise you can sell the pictures. To properley be able to sell the pictures you have to have model releases or be designiated by the group. If you are ok'ed as a photographer by the NBA or what not you get a press pass and use of photos.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Yeah, a lot of sporting events such as NFL and NBA have a mm size limit, I know the NFL is the strictest, i've heard they actually check to see what mm the lens says on it.
Also, for sports you usually want a "fast" lens, one that has a low f stop number, such as Nikon 180mm f2.8 or such, and they are usually more $$$.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yea. i had no problems though using the 70-200L at the football game (buccaneers). as long as its not longer than 8" i think from what i remember on the website. u could use DSLR though at majority of places, just that you cant use a long zooom lens. he had made me put my other lens (tamron 28-75) back on. plus with the 70-200L, being off-white color it stands out lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
wow i learned something new today. and i was gonan go to a rockets game with my zoom lens. lolz :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.