Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my engine with this race engine I bought, and when I pulled the plugs to check them out, I noticed they were all mashed down, with no gap between them. I re-gapped them, installed them, rotated the crank a couple times, and sure enough, the new pistons are still hitting the plugs by about a half millimeter of overlap.

The thing is they're not the right plugs for the engine. They were just put there for shipping. The engine is a vtec b16, and the plugs go to the DOHC b18b. There seems to only be about a millimeter of overlap between the engine and the spark plug, and I'm wondering if the particular plug I've got in there is just a bit too big.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in the length of spark plugs?

Otherwise, can I just put a thicker spacer ring on the plug itself?

Or do I have no choice but to swap out the head gasket?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
why dont you get the correct plug first...than if it still hits, your problem lies in the tuning of the cam gears....

Since its a fixed-up "race motor' what are the mods done to it...your problem could lie there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JAYMAN320 said:
why dont you get the correct plug first...than if it still hits, your problem lies in the tuning of the cam gears....

Since its a fixed-up "race motor' what are the mods done to it...your problem could lie there.
How would the cam gears affect the clearance of the piston to the spark plug? This doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
my bad..i. take that back. I was thinking of valve to piston contact.

BTW...what kind of spark plugs are u using

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JAYMAN320 said:
my bad..i. take that back. I was thinking of valve to piston contact.

BTW...what kind of spark plugs are u using
Right now, they're NGK zfr5f 11's.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i had a bad experience with the 4-tip platinums...I experienced contact, so I moved back to OEM and problem solved

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
try the recommended ones first and see if that solves the probem

·
Registered
29 Posts
you ned to first make sure that they are the right size plugs. Next, make sure that they are gapped properly. If you still have problems, then your crank timing is problally off. If your using an obd3, check your crank angle sensor. If an older ecu, The pop your belt and just remember, "Crank to top dead center"

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey um you might want to get the right plugs man theyre like 6bucks and for dohc vtec motors honda suggests at least platinum. so either way your running the wrong plugs, do youself a favor and walk to the store since you cant drive

derek

·
Registered
801 Posts
you said it was a race motor? Does it have a turbo? Does it have high compression pistons? if it does i would suggest ngk plugs a step colder than Honda reccomends (NOT platinum). (because turbo,high comp, nitrous add heat. (Pressure = more heat)

·
Registered
15 Posts
WTF are you guys smoking???

Most Spark plugs are universal size...they are just gapped differently, NGK zfr5f 11's are oem plugs, you dont need platinums, copper just doesnt last as long, If you are hitting your plugs with your pistons, then the pistons are either domed to high "for higher compression" or you got some wrong rods,or driveshaft.....
Anyway my point is: THE SPARK PLUGS AREN'T THE PROBLEM

Nick

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sfi said:
try shorter plugs.they do make 'em
Problem is, Z and B series plugs are both 18mm protusion, I think. I checked the NGK site and almost all of them are 18mm..

·
Registered
786 Posts
OK, I have personally noticed the plugs on my motor a JDM SiR-II(B16A) are different from GSR or LS(B18) plugs ZFR5F-11's.

I noticed this when I changed mine for the first time and realized the threaded area on the ZFR plugs was longer than the plugs I had when I got the motor. So when threaded in the head the ZFR plugs would be further in the combustion chamber.

The plugs I use are NGK BKR6E-N11. This is what it calls for and so I used these and not the GSR plugs. After looking at them side by side I thought they might hit as you're describing, so I'd try that if I was you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sunder said:
Problem is, Z and B series plugs are both 18mm protusion, I think. I checked the NGK site and almost all of them are 18mm..
check for denso iridium/ bosch platnum,plus 2,plus 3, plus 4/ out of one of them there should be something

·
Registered
42 Posts
dude i hope u go tand put the right plugs in before all that shit they were talking about head gaskets and pistons and rods being wrong, why would someone sell a motor that has the wrong parts in it go get the damn right plugs at a honda dealer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts