Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is the thing... i bought my new Motegi Racing MR7 rims and kumho supra 712 tire in 2054017s and i put them on my car...the thing is though that when i go over 50 MPH, my steering wheel starts to shake... and then at 60 its bad...but then it lessens at 70. I put my rims on my car myself.. did i put them on wrong or something?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
have the wheels/tires balanced. use the stick on weights if you wish, but have a good shop do a dynamic balance

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Yeah you def have to get them balanced. If they still do it after that, you need to get wheel spacers. That stopped my shakes :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
get your rims balanced, also make sure they put the tags on the inside of your rim for aesthetic reasons

·
Registered
16 Posts
IF the vibes are still around after the balancing, then look at the stock torque and go up 5 or 10 lbs. it helps trust me. If you want a good place to blance your tires go to Discount Tire they do it for free

·
Registered
511 Posts
i live on the east coast we dont have that and it pisses me off, cuz the rims i got are totally off balanced and i acctually knocked a weight off by accident hitting a curb and it stopped the shaking BIG time...i mean its still there but still its not as intense as it was...i love it...i need to get new tires anyways so im going to get them balanced and aligned at the same time

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
dtb4u said:
Why spacers? How does that help?
Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing, but they are small very thin circular pieces of plastic that go between your wheel, and the hub. I had never heard of them before either, but when I took my car to the local shop, and told him the wheel shook, and put them on for me. The shaking went away.

I'll call and find out what they are called. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
they're probably shims that he put.. but i don't see why those would help w/ a vibration...

·
Registered
12 Posts
i don't see how wheel spacers would reduce wheel shake. if anything I would think they'd make it spin even more imperfectly. just take the wheels to an experienced shop and have them balanced.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hyjnx said:
so we can have mexican cars :)
HAHAHA Hell yeah that just made my day. Cracked up when I saw that.

You need to get your tires balanced, and maybe check the air pressure in your tires, maybe there might be more air in one than in the other or something. I used to have that problem as well, and I got new tires and it fixed it, so I take it the balancing did the trick. If all else fails, try getting an alignment.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
spacers = hubrings, you NEED them to stop vibration

"The spacers" that you guys are referring to are called hubrings. 4 of them should have been shipped with your rims. I had the exact problem when I got my rims because I totally forgot about those little things. They were hiding deep down in one of the 4 boxes of my rims, almost threw away those little shits...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I meant to add.. to make it more clear, the purpose of hubrings are to stop vibration... so yes, hubrings are your solution. Don't listen to the people that are saying check your tire pressure and balancing and what not. That is not the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Re: spacers = hubrings, you NEED them to stop vibration

tyooning said:
"The spacers" that you guys are referring to are called hubrings. 4 of them should have been shipped with your rims. I had the exact problem when I got my rims because I totally forgot about those little things. They were hiding deep down in one of the 4 boxes of my rims, almost threw away those little shits...
:D YEAH!!!! Thats what I'm talking about. I knew I wasn't going crazy!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
tyooning - There are different things that might cause the problem..I believe that my problem is the balance...and POSSIBLY the tire pressure some of them look alil low..i dont really notice it that much...cuz i dont go on the highway that much, but oh well.

jai si - always fun to make someones day, I was in new mexico for 2 weeks....OMG, every car u could think of either had "tonka toy" wheels, or Chrome...Civics with chromes and all that..I only saw like 2 tasteful cars...I saw a new Galante with the 13inch 1000 spoke rims with low pro tires, and the spaces...it was weird, always good for some a laugh

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hyjnx said:
tyooning - There are different things that might cause the problem..I believe that my problem is the balance...and POSSIBLY the tire pressure some of them look alil low..i dont really notice it that much...cuz i dont go on the highway that much, but oh well.
understandable, but the reason I think the vibration he is talking about is from failure to install hubrings is because his vibration doesn't start till highway speeds, and those are exactly what hubrings cure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ya, i got standard SI rims on my EJ8 and they shake cuz they are off balance...thats my guess though, im not totally sure about it...once i get new tires i will find out for sure

·
Registered
114 Posts
the "hub rings" are called "cocentric rings." the hole in the center of the wheel is larger than the hole in the stock wheels, so the ring is installed to make a tight fit of the wheel on the hub and thereby centering the wheel on the hub. without the rings the wheel can(even if the lugs are tight) can mount off center on the hub and cause the wheel to rotate in an oval shape rather than a circle. have the tires balanced and install the rings and that should fix the problem. when you have the wheels balanced look to see how much weight they put on. if there is a lot of weight on side of the rim have them take the tire off and rotate it 180 degres and remount and balance it again. you are paying for the job so make them do it right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts