Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 civc with a b16 swap i have money to do both , but i'm not sure if i have enough money to put into to the engine if the turbo messes things up all the time so which one should i do?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
DVL98civ said:
i have a 98 civc with a b16 swap i have money to do both , but i'm not sure if i have enough money to put into to the engine if the turbo messes things up all the time so which one should i do?
I'm was in the same boat as you. I decided to put together my own kit. I got some parts used, a lot brand new, and I'll end up spending about $2200. But it's going to be sweet, and I'm not worried about blowing my car up.

Oh, I'm going turbo! I've got some parts for sale if you wanted to put a kit together for yourself. If I had been more patient on getting stuff and not decided to buy so many things brand new I would have been able to spend about $1400 or so.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here's what I suggest. Go turbo cause you'll get tons more attention driving around, and the sound the blow off valve makes is just awesome! And you can make more power in the end.

First...do your research, and ask tons of questions. I'll answer any questions you have.

Second...do more research, look a lot of places for deals on parts, and be patient.

Third...decision time.

Before you get going ask yourself how much wheel horse power you want to see. You'll need to decide if you and your friends or mechanically inclined buddies can do the install on whatever it is you decide to do. That'll save you tons if you can do it.

Great! Now that you've decided to go turbo lets get to work. :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Since you're going turbo :D check out this site:
http://coolazz.tripod.com/turbo.html
Just make this site one of your bookmarks/favorites.

Read that site. Its very informative. His price estimates are a little off though. Here's a list of the things you'll need to get in order to safely run your turbo w/o fear of blowing it up. Oh...and I've done the math on compressor maps with our engine size and the Garrett T3/T04E is perfect. The sizing you'll have to decide on later cause that'll determine spool-up time and potential top hp.

-Garrett T3/T04E turbo
-Revhard or Drag manifold
-Downpipe
-Blow Off Valve (people say optional, but just get one)
-External Wastegate (optional)
-Charge pipes
-Intercooler (optional, but if you don't consider yourself lucky to not have a blown engine on hot days...just get one.)
-Oil lines and mounting flanges
-Turbo timer (optional...but nice to have)
-Walbro 255 lph in-tank Fuel pump
-Bigger injectors (like 310cc/min)
-Vortech Fuel Management Unit
-MAP sensor bypass valve
-Boost, A/F, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure gauges
-Some vacuum lines
-Silicone pipe connectors and hose clamps

This is a modest list of things you'll need. I've done the research on our engine. With the 10.2:1 stock compression (that's what you have right? Stock?) don't run more than 7psi with this set-up.

We'll get you taken care of and have you running boost in no time at all. Trust me, installation is going to be easy.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I say build your internals and get it ready for turbo. In my friends SI, b16, he built up his internals and his car runs low 15's here a mile above sea level. He's got 8.5:1 arias pistons, cam shaft and gears, crower rods, apexi vtec controller, and probably some other shit that I don't remember. He was hitting mid 14's when he had NOS, but removed it because he needed money to put towards his turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Re: I have a question

red civic hb said:
Which would be better for...

Drag....?? turbo or all motor

Auto-Xing...?? turbo or all motor
:confused:
Well this is a tough question because there's any number of people who'll give you good arguments to both. There's a bunch of all-motor speedsters out there who are running 11s with their track car. The same is true for A-X. Lots of good all-motor setups with good times.

However, I believe for the easiest and most significant results (just turn up the boost and dump more fuel in) a tuned turbo honda will yield great results. I thought about going all-motor back when I first got my Si. After doing research and talking to tons of people about both I decided I needed a turbo on my car.

For A-Xing a good small turbo that spools fast would prove great where small throttle manipulations are needed. In my area A-Xing are events too far apart in time and not enough places to do it. Thus that helped me decide to go with a strong turbo setup that'll push me and my heavy Si into the 13s at the local dragstrip.

Again...research, research, research. With enough facts and knowledge a well supported decision can be made.

·
Registered
771 Posts
with a daily driver wouldnt he want to do a smaller turbo rather than the t03/04 bcuz of the larger spool time on the bigger turbo?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Mafioso said:
with a daily driver wouldnt he want to do a smaller turbo rather than the t03/04 bcuz of the larger spool time on the bigger turbo?
Ah...a good question. This is where the specs of the turbo will help determine spool up time as well as his compression ratio. This is fact:

The larger the exhaust housing (a/r) the longer a turbo will take to spool up (provided c/r are the same), but the turbo with the bigger exhaust a/r will yield more top end hp.

Again, I've run the math on the compressor maps for 7psi of boost on the T3 compressor, a T04E compressor, and a small T25 compressor. The T04E compressor fits best with some potential when the internals are upgraded. The T25 would push full boost at about 2500-3000 rpm. The T3 would be at full boost by about 3000-3500 rpm. Ah...now the T04E would be up at full boost at an even higher rpm, but now lets mate the T04E compressor to a T3 turbine with a small .48 a/r. BING! We have a winner! This setup will yield a great street performance turbo with good potential at the track. Remember, turbo lag is a FWD car's best friend.

Lets look at the big picture. The T3 turbine with a small exhaust housing will spool up and he'll be right in the perfect rev range cruising around town. With that B16 and S4 tranny he's got 3k-3500 is right in the cruising speed range.

A big unstreetable turbo on the small B16 would be a T04E with T4 turbine housing or a T61, T66, T78, and the diesel truck sized T88 would be HUGE and horrible!

I've talked to turbo owners and most have said that if a small turbo (T25 or T28) are used to start with the owner would be happy, but they'd be looking for more within months. These small turbos cannot provide a whole lot more without being at the outskirts of their compressor efficiency.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the suggestions uoboarder so i'm going with turbo ,but i;m going to build my motor first to get it ready

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i agree with Kommon_sense. Just forged low compression pistons alone will cost about $500, about $400 for rods, and by the time you do a balance and blue print with iron sleeves and have it all assembled you could have had a turbo already on there. You'd boost 6-7 psi to start with, but its better than no boost.

I'll sell you the stuff in my signature that's for sale for a good price. Anything to help a fellow B16er out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts