Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a certain throttle angle, like when I have the gas pressed ever so slightly (like getting it ti stay at 1500rpm), the rpm fluctuates. It will bounce up and down with a range of about 900-1500rpm. It doesn't do this at any other rpm or throttle position.

Does anyone know whats wrong? The car idles just fine when foot is off gas. And, no check engine light or codes. Could it be the fast idle or something? What about the PCV valve? Needs vavle adjustment? Ideas?

Car by the way is a 94 civic ex automatic sedan. (d16z6)

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
idling problems

More than likely it a vaccum leak, have you checked you Idle Air Control Valve? I just swapped engines in my 96 civic ex and i was pulling an IACV code as soon as i replaced the throttle body it stopped. good luck

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
docwires said:
have you taken it to honda? they might be able to tell you the problem. if i can figure anything out, ill let you know
They [honda] charge $75.00 just to look at it. They call it a diagnoses fee.
But it can be applied towards the fix.

I know a mechanic who may be able to check it for me...the only thing i'm worried about is that since its most likely a mechanical thing, a code or ecu reader will not help much, becuase it's not throwing a code or anything. So, therfore, it could take a while to diagnose, unless they have seen the problem before.

Do you think one of those vacumm testers would help any? They are like $20 I think.

Well, thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem

I'm having the same problem, I have just read a Haynes Repair manual for Honda Civic & Del Sol, I'm almost sure it is the TPS try disconnecting the TPS sensor (you will get the Check Engine light on)
the manual says "Once a truble code is set, the ECM will use an artificial default value for TPS and some vehicle performance will return"
if the rpms stop bouncing then change the TPS.
I will do the same after work....

Bye

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.