Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 359 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Noob to the sight not super knowledgeable but i'll be able to understand what you have to say.

Alright so pretty much im plan on buying a used integra as MY first actual tuner car. All the integra's I've looked at are 94 and up with B series engines(which after doing some research im leaning toward liking). Deffinantly not going to dump money into the car, just a daily driver that can run with some of the big boys is what im looking for. As for right now i think im gonna run a b18 all engine(turbos and shit are too expensive) with some bolt-on's for that extra peak.

Basically thats all i've came up with for a plan so i need help with what kinda upgrades i should be lookin toward and what i should upgrade along with the upgrades i install(CAI,Header,Exhaust,Head/Top,Bottom?) any help what so ever would be great. Thanks

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
*Noob to the sight not super knowledgeable but i'll be able to understand what you have to say.

Alright so pretty much im plan on buying a used integra as MY first actual tuner car. All the integra's I've looked at are 94 and up with B series engines(which after doing some research im leaning toward liking). Deffinantly not going to dump money into the car, just a daily driver that can run with some of the big boys is what im looking for. As for right now i think im gonna run a b18 all engine(turbos and shit are too expensive) with some bolt-on's for that extra peak.

Basically thats all i've came up with for a plan so i need help with what kinda upgrades i should be lookin toward and what i should upgrade along with the upgrades i install(CAI,Header,Exhaust,Head/Top,Bottom?) any help what so ever would be great. Thanks
hahaha you got it backwards. it takes thousands and thousands of dollars to make any power n/a with a honda

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think that i would be better off to go with a turbo then to run some bolt on's and vtec? I kinda just wanna clarify im still in high school so im not really looking to make some ten second car here.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you think that i would be better off to go with a turbo then to run some bolt on's and vtec? I kinda just wanna clarify im still in high school so im not really looking to make some ten second car here.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
you don't need vtec? how much power you trying to make. to do ls/vtec and botlons the right way will cost you more than a turbo setup

· Registered
4,633 Posts
and...

Intake/Header/Exhaust for the B-series is basically for increased throttle response, and more pull on the top end. You'll only see one of those things during your daily in-traffic commute. That combo tops out at a 10whp gain. Throw in some bigger cams...you get a teensy bit more mid-range, and a nice big chunk up top...again you've really gotta be winding up the motor to enjoy the big top end pull. All said and done with the proper supporting mods and tuning....you could have already had a 300whp turbo setup.

The one benefit to a high-school all motor project is that if you're impatient you can start building right away in whatever order you want pretty much. 90% of the turbo build has to come all at once....but if you get the correct parts, it's worth the wait. All motor is for people with a lot of resources, do a bunch of the work themselves, and then don't mind having a crazy Tasmanian Devil working under the hood during your morning commute...but they can still be uber fast.

· Registered
12,453 Posts

Define big boys? haha

Your driving an Integra, its slow. Mod your suspension, and have fun in the corners, thats what the car is meant for. You can do bolt ons too for a tinge more spunk. But def. spend your money on suspension, and brakes and go have fun.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright so its looking like turbos the way to go. But i've also thought about going the cop-out way and buying an integra thats already been tweaked a bit. The one im really looking into right now has this in it. B18c (type-r) motor with V-TEC and the following specs:

Power: 205 hp (153 kW) @ 8500 rpm
Rev-limit: 8,900 rpm
VTEC [email protected],800 rpm
137 ft·lbf (186 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
Transmission Type: 5-speed standard with LSD
Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
Compression:y 11:0:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.189 in)
Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.433 in)
Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.429 in)
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
Transmission: J4D (96specR w/ LSD)

Thats has 80k on it. Also the car has new Clutch, CAI, Full CATBACK, 4-2-1 header, and new timing belt. It needs a little cosmetically stuff but who gives a shit right? haha anyway if i could get some thoughts on that, and possibly a run-down of turbo's what i should get how they would work out with this compression ratio stuff like that, COST ect. Thanks!

· Registered
430 Posts
Alright so its looking like turbos the way to go. But i've also thought about going the cop-out way and buying an integra thats already been tweaked a bit. The one im really looking into right now has this in it. B18c (type-r) motor with V-TEC and the following specs:

Power: 205 hp (153 kW) @ 8500 rpm
Rev-limit: 8,900 rpm
VTEC [email protected],800 rpm
137 ft·lbf (186 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
Transmission Type: 5-speed standard with LSD
Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
Compression:y 11:0:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.189 in)
Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.433 in)
Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.429 in)
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
Transmission: J4D (96specR w/ LSD)

Thats has 80k on it. Also the car has new Clutch, CAI, Full CATBACK, 4-2-1 header, and new timing belt. It needs a little cosmetically stuff but who gives a shit right? haha anyway if i could get some thoughts on that, and possibly a run-down of turbo's what i should get how they would work out with this compression ratio stuff like that, COST ect. Thanks!
ok keep the car u have!!! go with a gsr tranny, give the head a mild port and polish, piece together a turbo kit, tune the fuck out of it and spent the chunk of money you have left on suspension.. i promise you'll walk type-r's, ls/v all day

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TO: Rotary

I dont yet have a integra but im looking between that one i posted the specs on and a stock one. But theres only like a 500-1000 dollar price difference. So i was kinda planning on buying that car up there, getting an extra chunk of money and putting together a turbo kit for it. Then maybe upgrade the tranny a bit to keep up with the engine, possibly spending a little extra on suspension stuff.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
If you plan on turbocharging the car, the B18B LS motor is much friendlier to turbo because of its lower stock compression. This makes tuning out detonation much easier than on the already wound up 11:1 compression Type-R motor you posted.

If you want to go with the expensive all motor build, then for sure go for that Type-R motor. But if you want to boost, keep it simple, and go with a nice B18B.

If you don't want to keep it simple, and want to tackle a turbo/supercharged Type-R project, then all the power to you. But from what you've said, it looks like you're going for more of a simple budget build.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right and im not going to put an really expensive turbo in it either. So would you think id be ok on the 11:1 compression with a low lb pushing turbo?

Also this car(the one i posted on) is a hell of a deal at $3600(i think i can get for cheaper) with only a few minor cosmetic flaws. So i think i'd just turbo around the current upgrades.

Any more opinions or guidance is appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
430 Posts
TO: Rotary

I dont yet have a integra but im looking between that one i posted the specs on and a stock one. But theres only like a 500-1000 dollar price difference. So i was kinda planning on buying that car up there, getting an extra chunk of money and putting together a turbo kit for it. Then maybe upgrade the tranny a bit to keep up with the engine, possibly spending a little extra on suspension stuff.
slapping a turbo on a type-r isn't as easy or cheap as you think... if you want a monterosic turbocharged car while spending under $4000 then got with an integra ls aka B18B if you want an all motor monster then go with a civic hatch and k24 or type-r like you said... but turbocharging is not just expensive but just not worth the time

· Registered
4,633 Posts
The lowest you're going to be running is like 6psi. Again, a lot less headaches with the B18B, but as long as you have a hella good tuner, you can boost an 11:1 CR car...as long as you have access to 94 octane.

What I'm saying is that there really isn't any advantage in getting that hotter car if you're going to boost it. The B18B will hit 300whp easy. That Type-R motor at 300whp boosted might be a bit of a bitch to keep safe...if you're doing a budget build.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
fuck, just buy that car and leave it stock motor wise, and build the suspension. If its a real B18c5 it should be more than enough to have fun with. You won't win too many straight line contests, but thats mostly due to the fact that Honda's are torqueless and you have FWD.

and as said, if your going to boost, stick with a b18a/b.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i couldnt put a turbo on that b18c? or at least do so and keep it safe at the same time?
and if i did install the turbo on that would the amount of boost i could run be worth the money that the turbo cost me, because of the already high compression?

· Registered
12,453 Posts
So i couldnt put a turbo on that b18c? or at least do so and keep it safe at the same time?
and if i did install the turbo on that would the amount of boost i could run be worth the money that the turbo cost me, because of the already high compression?
Its not that it can't be done, but you need to be really careful, and have a tuner that knows what the hell they're doing. High comp. N/A motors are not the best to boost.

If you want to boost, get an LS teg and boost it. Far easier and prob. cheaper than going the route you want.

I personally would just buy that car, leave the motor as is, and again SUSPENSION, I cant stress enough how good of a mod that is, but half the people on here dont care. Driver mod and suspension are the 2 best mods you can make. Don't waste 3k on a turbo setup if you dont know what your doing or don't have the driving skill to handle it. You don't need big power to put a grin on your face.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah so what exactly would you do for suspension?
and if i didnt run turbo how quick is that car gonna be with what i have listed and the upgrades i have listed.

Also if i put cams in it i'll have to rebuild the entire engine basically right?
How about doing like someone already said and polish and mill the head?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
If you took that car to the track right now, you might be able to break 15s if you're a good driver. It will be quick on the street compared to a good chunk of cars. It will be balls slow compared to turbo B18s.

A cam upgrade is simple. For my cams, and full valvetrain upgrade, the head never came off the block. Milling and port n polish will yield a few more hp...flow will improve a bit. Nothing crazy...it's more if you're trying to squeeze everything you possibly can out of the motor.

1 - 20 of 359 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.