Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a front and rear camber kit for my car. I have a Tokico Illumina suspension kit on right now. I'm trying to get the best deal i can that is also not so costly. Do any of you have good suggestions on what i should get? thanks

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Best deal you can get... $70 for a good alignment with zero toe. That will take care of your tire wear issues unless you're dropping like 3 freaking inches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw this deal at Modacar.com for like around 250+ bucks. It has the front skunk2 control arm and sprint rears. I'm thinking about this package. Is it a good deal?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I give up. If no one believes that it's mainly TOE angle that causes bad camber wear, then I'll just stop saying it and y'all can continue wasting your money on parts that reduce performance.

Minimal camber + some toe angle (as with stock or with a camber kit) = decent tire life
Moderate camber + some toe angle = bad tire life but better cornering grip from negative camber (of course there is such a thing as too much)
Moderate camber + 0 toe angle = decent tire life AND better cornering grip

So you can spend $250 on camber kits to reduce performance in order to save your tires, OR you can get a good alignment (which you should do anyway) with zero toe and keep your good performance gained by moderate camber.

Camber by itself does not cause horrible tire wear. It is the combination of big camber and TOE angle that scrubs away your tires. Do you guys even know what toe angle is? It is the amount your tires are pointed "in/out", or "towards" or "away" from each other. Thus if you have a lot of it, or even a little, it means your tires are scrubbing away all the time. Add a bunch of camber and of COURSE it's going to wear badly. If you zero out the toe (thus making each tire point exactly straight ahead) you WILL still get decent tire life out on the street.

That's the last time I'm going to tell people that camber kits are a waste of money for the sole use of saving your tires. They are designed so that you can dial up the proper amount of camber on race day, not to save your tires from an alignment that doesn't fit your needs (or like most riceboys, NO alignment after doing suspension work).

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I wouldnt even get a camber kit unless the drop is over 1.5" ..

and yes toe affects tire wire a great deal .. but camber is whats most affected by lowering your car. Toe should be able to go back to spec with any good alignment, but for camber youll need an aftermarket kit.

For the front I would go with Skunk2 or SPC front upper arms. Theres not as much weight in the rear, so tire wear is less of an issue, but you can also go with a number of SPC products for the rear too..

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
TOP END MS said:

and yes toe affects tire wire a great deal .. but camber is whats most affected by lowering your car. Toe should be able to go back to spec with any good alignment, but for camber youll need an aftermarket kit.

For the front I would go with Skunk2 or SPC front upper arms. Theres not as much weight in the rear, so tire wear is less of an issue, but you can also go with a number of SPC products for the rear too..
The "washer trick" also works quite well for the rear, I used that to dial out a touch of camber from the rear.

Right now I'm at ~2.0/1.5" lowering F/R and 2.0/1.4 degrees camber and have had no so-called "camber wear" issues with zero toe. In fact I seem to have had more of that sort of problem only lowered 1" and with some toe in the equation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason why I want to get a camber kit is because I got my car aligned right after i put on my suspension setup. It's been like 5 months since then and my tires are wearing hella bad on the inside. All I've got on my car is a Tokico Illumina setup. Is there anything else that could be wrong with my car? I just want this shiet fixed up. I've also posted way back that my car rubs like a lil biotch up against the inner side of my fender whenver i do hard cornering. I'm hoping this'll help things out. I'm running out of options...I might just have to swap out my suspension. Wulll thanks for the help peoples. oh yeah uhms, is the Omni power front control arm good? The Omni one is quite a bit cheaper than the Skunk2 one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
jin type-r said:
The reason why I want to get a camber kit is because I got my car aligned right after i put on my suspension setup. It's been like 5 months since then and my tires are wearing hella bad on the inside. All I've got on my car is a Tokico Illumina setup. Is there anything else that could be wrong with my car? I just want this shiet fixed up. I've also posted way back that my car rubs like a lil biotch up against the inner side of my fender whenver i do hard cornering. I'm hoping this'll help things out. I'm running out of options...I might just have to swap out my suspension. Wulll thanks for the help peoples. oh yeah uhms, is the Omni power front control arm good? The Omni one is quite a bit cheaper than the Skunk2 one.
yeah omni is good..you'll be aite wit it

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
jin type-r said:
The reason why I want to get a camber kit is because I got my car aligned right after i put on my suspension setup. It's been like 5 months since then and my tires are wearing hella bad on the inside.
Yes but did you get it aligned with zero toe specifically? I'm guessing not. Because if you just ask for an alignment and don't specify zero toe, they will dial in some toe as per the stock specs... zero is within the stock spec range but not the "ideal" stock setting... a little toe is good for handling/stability but in our case it can be zeroed out for maximum tire life with a minimal effect on handling... let's say a much smaller negative effect on handling as compared to dialing the camber back close to zero.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
TOP END MS said:

I have the SPC kit on the rear and it works very well. It is really easy to adjust. Also, the unit seems pretty beefy, I was worried about it not holding up when I ordered it. After getting it I have no worries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Contact me for camber kit info, questions and pricing. I will take care of you. www.camberkit.com As for camber wear issues, it is only common sense. Even if your toe and caster are set to zero, if you have considerable negative camber, your tires will waste away at an expedited rate. Its a fact that vehicles with factory negative camber i.e. S2000 (which means the other factors of alignment are set correctly), have advanced tire wear compared to a vehicle like a civic, integra, etc. which do not have factory negative camber.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
peteriap said:
Contact me for camber kit info, questions and pricing. I will take care of you. www.camberkit.com As for camber wear issues, it is only common sense. Even if your toe and caster are set to zero, if you have considerable negative camber, your tires will waste away at an expedited rate. Its a fact that vehicles with factory negative camber i.e. S2000 (which means the other factors of alignment are set correctly), have advanced tire wear compared to a vehicle like a civic, integra, etc. which do not have factory negative camber.
No appreciable camber wear for me with 2 degrees up front, where the weight is. If you drive hard through corners like I do all too much, too little camber will only make it so that your outer tire edge will wear prematurely. Just my real-world experience...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips...I think I'm gonna purchase a camber kit anyways just because har har. I'm hoping it'll help my other gay ass problems. Meh GSR has been all problems since i've bought it. First the suspension went out, then after i put in my kit, it had problems, then my radiator, and now my forking center dash console lights are goin out. SHIETTTTTT. :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts