Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I juss got "Q-Power" subs for free from my cousin they are 600 watt each, and i think they are 10"

What kind of amp should i use to use these subs, what are some high qual major brands out there, all i know of is mtx, alpine, kicker, and kenwood. Also should i get 2 seperate amps that support 600 each or 1 big 1 that supports 1200watt+?

any good onlinestore to buy the amp(s)??

btw heres a pic of the subs i juss got.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
BOBOtheCLOWN said:
was does rms stand for? will 300 watts to each sub be good enough, i want a nice bump!

rms= Root means square i believe. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. ITs the constant amount of power the sub can take. The peak rating can only be held for so long, especially if the subs are cheap and the signal is distorted, the rms is basically the safer number to go by when looking at the power handling.

300 watts to each sub will give you a really nice bump, depending on how good the subs are.

The info i gave was not to be taken as the end all of the discussion, i know its not all perfect, or complete. But, it should be enough to select a decent amp for his subs....i hope.

Note: i'm a business major, not a physics major:p

· Banned
846 Posts
those subs are made by Q-power and they came in that box. if its the Dual 10" bandpass box, they handle 600 max for BOTH!!! If its the 12's, its only a 100W difference for them, which makes RMS around 350w

so, you would need to find a 300-350W amp for them. Im not sure on how many terminal cups are on the box, but if its two, get a nice 2 Channel amp that puts out around 150x2. If not, get yourself a 300W mono amp (single Channel).

If you want to keep it cheap, get an amp made by JBL. Good power, good price. Cant beat it.

JBL 180.2 if it has two terminal cups (place where speaker wire plugs in)

JBL 300.1 if its a Single Terminal Cup

You can find both amps on Ebay for very cheap. Good luck with your new subs.

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what are terminal cups?

are u talking about the cup holder looking things on top? mine has 2. and each side has 2 plug/port things so get a 2 chnl amp?

and what kind of wiring should i get, where should i get them

· Banned
846 Posts
the terminal cups are the little thing on the side of the box that you plug the speaker wires into. Is there one on each side of the box, or just one on the side?

I REALLY dont like the Xplod amps, but Kenwood would be ok. You could probably find the JBL for cheaper though.

Tell me how many terminal cups there are (as explained above), and ill find you a nice amp.

· Banned
846 Posts
the ohm is the unit of measure of a device's opposition to the flow of current.

In other words, its just resistance, trying to block or limit the flow of power. The lower the ohm, the more power thats put out (most of the time). The subwoofer determines what ohm load you have. Since yours is a 4-ohm, you need an amp that puts out 150X2 at 4-ohm. Thats why i reccomended that Autotek Amp. If you dont want that amp, MAKE SURE IT PUTS OUT 150X2 AT 4-OHM!!! Good luck finding one for as cheap as the Autotek i reccomended.

· Banned
846 Posts
Autotek is a VERY high quality amp. better than most amps out there for sure! Dont know how, but Dave (owner of nexxon.com) can sell autotek amps for way below retail price. If you were to buy that amp at a shop, you would be lookin at around $400. Cant go wrong with that for sure! May be ordering some Autotek Amps for myself very soon!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.