Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I need new control arm front bushings on my 02 civic. question is can i press them in myself or does this have be done proffesionally to be done right or safely............ plz help need to finshi this damn car:bash

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking for some advice. I need new control arm front bushings on my 02 civic. question is can i press them in myself or does this have be done proffesionally to be done right or safely............ plz help need to finshi this damn car:bash
youd have to get em professionally done, but even if you do change em the whole arm might be warped and then the change would be useless. you can get a whole new arm for way cheap, and its much better than the stock one (if thats what you have) and you can install it yourself in like less than half an hour. just my lil two cents :w00tz

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can do them yourself...I have done many this way and all have turned out fine. Put LCA on a solid surface and push out the inner bushing that the bolt goes through. You now will have room to put a hack saw blade through this opening. Take the blade off the hack saw and insert it through the just pushed through inner bushing hole (connect back to saw frame) and cut down through the rubber until you start cutiing the outer race. It is thin so be careful not to cut too deep, but cut completely through. You can make 1,2, or 3 cuts (30, 90 and 180 degree) and then take a socket or other instrument that will fit just inside the mounting hole. It will come out in pieces but this is what you want. Installation: First, put new bushing in freezer to allow it to shrink to minimum size, 15-20 mins should be enough, longer is better. Next, take a small burr or sand paper or emory cloth and clean out the bushing opening. Next take a small propane torch and heat the area for about 5 minutes, this will allow the hole to enlarge enough to allow the frozen bushing to drop in with little or no restriction. A small amount of grease or lube will help. Make sure you get it in right the first time, same amount of room on either side of bushing compared to LCA boss. Let cool normally and job well done. Saves a lot of time and no bent parts whatsoever. Hope you give er a try!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your car looks familiar...you don't happen to live in NY, do you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts