Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got a 99 civic dx, (d16y7), what are the best headers for gains and where can i order them, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
searching is great, and a good way to find information. but instead of telling you what you already know, i would suggest exhaust manifold (or headers, i guess) from a d16y8, they are nice. but before you do that you might as well get the ex tranny as well, which will make you notice a huge difference in the gearing...the best mod for you to start with. it bolts right up by the way, welcome to sho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi

thanks.. this car is not for racing, but i just wanted another header.. so since the cat is connect they dont make a header for the dx? how would i go about fitting a ex after market header on.. i just want a lil extra power. thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....

so i dont want a new tranny,, and the header is all rusted anyway, so i figure might as well get a nice chrome or stainless one.. so if i buy a ex after market header, would it fit? and if so, what would i need to make it fit, and i want to keep a cat on my car also..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
There are no aftermarket DX headers, and the cat is the reason for that. Any replacement parts that remove or relocate emissions control devices isn't CARB legal. Since the DX cat is about 5 inches from the head, a header would be pointless...

The EX headers that are available will fit, but bolt directly to the DX midpipe with no space for a cat. If you want to maintain a converter you need to get one from or for an EX model, along with the midpipe for an EX or trim your stock pipe and re-weld the flange back on.

Don't get chrome, get stainless. I got one new off Ebay for $170 shipped, it's 1-piece full stainless. The seller is "eurosportgarage" just search for header under his name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....

ok so i need an ex cat, and ex mid pipe and then of course the after market ex header.. ok sounds good.. i wont be able to do the custom work myself, but im sure i can find someone.. how much should i be lookin at for them to do the work, including labor? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,272 Posts
You don't need to do custom work. I recommend buying a catback exhaust system for an Ex, a high flow Ex cat converter, and an Ex header.

of course, for all that money you could probably swap in an Ex transmission and that will improve your acceleration the most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,903 Posts
I have a similar question.. I have a DX too, and i already have a catback exaust. When i put my headers on and get a EX cat, It would be too long for my exaust. So i would have to cut part of the exaust off and weld some flanges on right?

Also, isnt the o2 sensor in the cat? Would it run down below where the new cat will be, or would i have to get a new o2?

Is the tranny install difficult?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
xBenSETSfiRex said:
I have a similar question.. I have a DX too, and i already have a catback exaust. When i put my headers on and get a EX cat, It would be too long for my exaust. So i would have to cut part of the exaust off and weld some flanges on right?

Also, isnt the o2 sensor in the cat? Would it run down below where the new cat will be, or would i have to get a new o2?

Is the tranny install difficult?
1) You got it right, just trim the midpipe and weld a flange on. You can probalby just reweld the same flange on that you cut off.

2) Yes, but if you get a stock EX cat (or other legal replacement) the bung for the O2 will be in the cat already. You will have to pull the wires for the secondary O2 plug back through the harness to make them fit, or get an extension. Let me know, I have the plugs to make you one if you need it.

3) Tranny install is a bit tedious, but not really brainy work. Have 2 or 3 trolley jacks and a friend on hand to help if you're inexperienced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,903 Posts
Thanks man, that helped alot. I found a set of headers on ebay that has the holes in them for the o2 sensor. It was made with the DX in mind. So that is one problem taken care of. The rest doesnt seem too hard at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Just so you know, having two holes in the header won't prevent you from getting a CEL...if the secondary sensor isn't placed in or after the converter it will set a light off. The 2 holes are just optional locations to install the primary O2 sensor, since most of the OBD0 & OBD1 Civics had the sensor down at the end of the header, while the 96-up OBD2 models have it up in front of the motor. Whichever you choose, the other hole is supposed to be plugged off.

Don't buy a cheap chrome header, imo...those and the ceramic ones will rust. Get a stainless, you can get them on Ebay for about $170 shipped that's what I got and I like it alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
AcuraCivic said:
ok so i need an ex cat, and ex mid pipe and then of course the after market ex header.. ok sounds good.. i wont be able to do the custom work myself, but im sure i can find someone.. how much should i be lookin at for them to do the work, including labor? thanks

if your state doesnt have emissions tests than i wouldnt worry about another CAT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
xBenSETSfiRex said:
I have a similar question.. I have a DX too, and i already have a catback exaust. When i put my headers on and get a EX cat, It would be too long for my exaust. So i would have to cut part of the exaust off and weld some flanges on right?

the guy that did my custom work used my old flex pipe insted of a flange and those spring loaded bolts. it works prefectly fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,903 Posts
klungemonger said:
Just so you know, having two holes in the header won't prevent you from getting a CEL...if the secondary sensor isn't placed in or after the converter it will set a light off. The 2 holes are just optional locations to install the primary O2 sensor, since most of the OBD0 & OBD1 Civics had the sensor down at the end of the header, while the 96-up OBD2 models have it up in front of the motor. Whichever you choose, the other hole is supposed to be plugged off.

Don't buy a cheap chrome header, imo...those and the ceramic ones will rust. Get a stainless, you can get them on Ebay for about $170 shipped that's what I got and I like it alot.
I have a stainless one in mind. Would a high flow cat be worth getting over a stock cat?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top