Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

this question is actually about a '90 camry but i'm hoping you guys can help me out... I was driving yesterday and the temperture guage proceeded to rise all the way to red, i turned on the heat full blast and it went down 1/4 of the way. The coolant reservuar is full, and the fans were not on. Later i tried driving it again and it did the same thing. Any ideas? possibly the coolant pump? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thermostat is bad, radiator clogged or water pump bad. Most likely thermostat. Never replaced one on a camry, but should be easy enuff. If you're not very skilled at repairing cars, buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual at an auto parts store along with the thermostat, gasket & a gallon of coolant & you should be able to do the job, provided you have the a set of metric tools.

Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Also make sure you bleed the air so you do not get air-lock.....not sure about toyotas but hondas have bleeder bolts for coolant system.... get a haynes manual ...very helpful for problems..... if it cooled when you drove then prob not pump....just fans. if no cooling during driving, may be airlock, stuck thermostat, clog or pump......make sure radiator itself is full and not just reserve tank.....

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
most likely thermostat.

when it starts to over heat or after it idling for about 15 minutes, feel both upper and lower radiator hoses, the top one should be super hot, and the bottom one should be cold ....that means your thermostat is stuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

So i replaced the thermostat, flushed all the coolant and refilled making sure to get out all the air, and its still overheating. Also, it makes no difference whether i drive or not, temp rises regardless. Any other ideas as to what may be the cause? Is it possible that its a clog? If so how would i deal witht that? Thanks again...

p.s. i'm posting this on superhonda because the people over at supertoyota.com were of no help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Crank it up with the radiator cap off, wait for it to warm-up & watch for water flow thru the hole. If no flow, there is blockage somewhere or no pumping action. If there IS flow, bad news, possibly a crack in one of the heads or a blown head-gasket. This will also cause an increase of pressure in the cooling system when closed. You may have oil in the coolant, water in the oil, more than normal water vaper or even white smoke from the exhaust.

I had a dodge 2.5L turbo aluminum head that cracked between the center valve bosses, allowing exhaust gasses to blow into a water jacket & do this. There was no water in the exhaust or in the oil. It was just a hairline crack that would open up as the head heated up.

Sorry for possible bad news, I actually thought this at first read, but didn't want to put a downer on you.

Goog luck,
Rick

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
thats normal....its the water pump circulating the fluid....when the cap goes on it builds up pressure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
another way to check is to rent (free when returned for the deposit) a pressure tester from autozone that connects to the radiator where the cap fastens. You can get the spec's for normal pressure from them as well & see if the pressure is normal or too high indicating a head leak.

as far as checking the flow w/ cap off, u may have to let the the engine heat-up completely & overflow some to be able to check the flow. The t'stat has to open completely before the coolant will flow freely. sholdn't have to rev engine to see flow.

u could also do a compression check (rent from AZ as well for free) on the cylinders to check for evem compression.
just thinking out loud at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.