Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As sad as it may sound, i have no idea how to install subs. I feel less of a car enthusiasts bc i can't but i want to learn. I plan on installing an amp and two subs in my trunk soon and would appreciate some help. Anything you guys can offer would be great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, to narrow it down some, how and where do i run the wires from my trunk?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i take the wire from the trunk through the wall connecting the trunk and the cabin along the floor (under the carpet) to the front of the car then waht? How do i get it behind the console to the cd player? sorry, this is really not my fortae (sp?)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
you need to run the rcas and remote from the radio. run the power wire from the battery(fuse within 18") down the opposite side of the car as the rcas. and then ground the amp to bare metal. The ground wire should be as short as possible. Do you have the equiptment yet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay i'm feeling a little scared by peoples lack of information they have given you.....

Heres a complete, but not too complete run down on wiring a system....

Make sure you have all of your components:

1) Headunit w/ RCA preouts
2) Set of RCA's long enough to reach from the head unit to your amp location
3) Power wire long enough to reach from battery to amp (size is dependant on power yoru amp will be generating)
4) 3 feet MAX of ground wire
5) Fuse to put inline on the power wire (size is dependant on amperage the amp should be pulling)
6) Remote wire to run from your head unit to your amp

Process

After your headunit is wired but not inserted, plan where your wires will be ran. The best thing to do first is find a spot in your firewall where your power wire can get through to teh inside of your car. This will determine which side of your car it will run down. (right now you should be installing your power wire, and fuse as close to the battery as possible) It is imperative that the RCA's are ran on a seperate side of your car then yrou power wire. Running them down the same side will cause feedback to be given through the line (you will here a high pitch buzzing sound normally that adjusts its level occording to the RPMS of your engine, ie it will sound like shit) I normally run my remote wire down the same side as my power wire.

If youre curious to know what the remote wire does, well... it is a wire that tells the amp to turn on and off... your headunit sends a VERY small amount of electricity through it when it is necessary for the amp to be on. This is important because otherwise an amp would stay on constantly do to it constant connect to the battery. This wire doesn't need to be anything big. I have two 18 gauge wires running as remotes for two seperate amps. If you want to get creative on your first system, put a switch inline with the remote wire to allow your own control of turning the amp on and off when the headunit is on. So you can listen to music with grandma in the car without blasting her with bass, unless of course youre going to do it the right way and amplify all of your speakers (excellent clarity) but even still teh switch can come in handy some times when the po po are around....

Once you have all of your wires ran to teh back of your car... run yoru ground wire. It should be the same size if not larger then the size power wire you used. I normally use a self tapping screw and ground it to the chassis of my car in the tire well... The key thing to remember is to make it extremely tight and on all metal. Keep the ground wire as short as possible. Keep your trunk organized. Keep your RCA's away fro your power adn ground wire. If you have excess slack in the RCA's DO NOT ROLL THEM UP! This can cause feedback to jump from one spot int eh line to others. The trick is to wind them back and fourth and secure it loosely. Connect all of yoru wires to your amp. Make sure your box and amp are tightly secured to avoid one moving, wires pulling, and possibly causing some bad grounding.

Now for the final step.. wiring your subs. I could go on forever talking about this because it makes a world of a difference. So ill do my best to make it short but complete....

Subs are composed of voice coils. Some have single voice coils, some have dual voice coils. A voice coil works like a resistor in that it's impedance is of upmost imortance. The goal of wiring your subs is to not overload your amp adn top give your subs the most amount of power. If you have a mono block amp (wingle channel) chances are it is safe to run yoru subs at 1 ohm. If you have more than one channel, it is normally not recommended to run each channel at less then 2 ohms. Check the manufacturers specifications for your amp just to be sure. I'm goign to assume that you have 2 subs that you are installing and I am going to assume that they are single 4 ohm voice coils. Now to hook them up the the same amp you can run them both in parallel to get an overall load of 2 ohms. Remember that parallel drops the impedance adn Series increases it. The less of the resistance on the amp, the more power it will produce. I can't go into too much more detail but what i will tell you is that you should look around online for wiring in series adn parallel to understand how to find the impedance levels. Otherwise if wired the wrong way, you may completely oveheat your amp and kill it or rick underpowering yoru subs.

If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me.. I hope this was of some help.... Good luck :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
ive been a member of SHO for a while, but for some reason it didnt saveall of my old stuff... but true.. i was still classified as a noob

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
bloodlinez said:
ive been a member of SHO for a while, but for some reason it didnt saveall of my old stuff... but true.. i was still classified as a noob
The serevr crashed. all posts made after May are gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts