Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gettin ready to start my gsr turbo build. Heres my parts list. see wut ou guys think. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want 500whp.

Darton sleeves- 84mm
J.E. 9.0:1 pistons
Eagle rods
Acl duraglide bearings
Stock Crank- polished
Arp Head and Main studs
Full supertech Valvetrain with stock gsr cams
Skunk 2 adjustable cam gears
Edelbrock victor X intake manifold
Blox 70 mm throttle body
rc 1000cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump

· Registered
242 Posts
i would do a 18g turbo setup with j.e. 8.8.1 pistons with all the other parts you listed and run the full 18psi... should be a good "race" setup but would be a good DD and spool very fast...

· Registered
1,993 Posts
i want to run a gt35r turbo, but some locals are telling me that ill never spool it.
Lol it wont. You need to/should bore it out to amke more power overall. But go look at that "accord-T no 56k" thread. Not to talk any crap or anything but your torque curve will look like his. Its all motor 150np until 4K+ Rpms where it shoots straight up to 350 lol.

Get a smaller turbo and smaller injectors.

You want to hit 500 with stock cams. Eh,...no especially not with a smaller turbo.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
yeah I'm not seeing 500 on stock cams. i think you would be able to spool a gt3076r(84 trim, 82 a/r) just fine and hit 500whp. I had mapped it out on a d16 and I was gonna see full boost around 4800 rpm which was fine since I would have stayed in full boost after shifting

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah but thats like a top speed car. Who drive down the highway in 5th at 5k+?

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Yeah but thats like a top speed car. Who drive down the highway in 5th at 5k+?
why would you want to drive down the highway in boost you would waste a shit load of gas

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Thats what im saying. Street cars that create boost after 4k are pointless to drive.

But then it comes down to your definition of streetable....

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Thats what im saying. Street cars that create boost after 4k are pointless to drive.

But then it comes down to your definition of streetable....
if you are cruising you want to stay out of boost so that you don't waste gas. I see nothing wrong with a car that hits full boost at 4800. if your racing and thats where the shift points keep you in full boost it doesn't matter.

at 80 i don't think your at 5000rpm

· Registered
1,993 Posts
if you are cruising you want to stay out of boost so that you don't waste gas. I see nothing wrong with a car that hits full boost at 4800. if your racing and thats where the shift points keep you in full boost it doesn't matter.

at 80 i don't think your at 5000rpm
WHen you go to get in it, its going to pull slowly until you get to to the rpms where the turbo starts to pull. Plus when your cruising at part throttle your not going to be hitting max psi. Thats why your suppose to size your turbo right. Id rather be at 8lbs at 3200 and get on the throttle to 18lbs than having to wait to 4k to get there.

Who cares about gas when your driving a performance car?

· Registered
13,249 Posts
Shit yall be talking out your asses. I run a t3/60-1 and that reaches full spool at like 5k. Full boost at 5k is just fine, it MAKES boost as soon as you put your foot into it more than 1/4 throttle. In 5th on the highway at 60mph I can pass people quick as shit without even getting into it.

I got friends and know others who run smaller turbos with more boost and sure they get a jump on me but I eat them up before they even get a car length on me and once im in the power band 5-9k, it's simply a matter of CYA! :bye

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Shit yall be talking out your asses. I run a t3/60-1 and that reaches full spool at like 5k. Full boost at 5k is just fine, it MAKES boost as soon as you put your foot into it more than 1/4 throttle. In 5th on the highway at 60mph I can pass people quick as shit without even getting into it.

I got friends and know others who run smaller turbos with more boost and sure they get a jump on me but I eat them up before they even get a car length on me and once im in the power band 5-9k, it's simply a matter of CYA! :bye
at least somebody gets the picture

· Registered
1,993 Posts

:rolleyes

What are you comparing it to? How many lbs are you running compared to them and their turbo setup? What kind of car is it?

Didnt i say these are more top end like you just explained, pretty sure i did. Dont start from a roll, go a quarter mile, better yet auto cross. Oversized turbos will get beat hands down. Your going to be faster/quicker if your in your powerband and you get on it than if your not, thats a given. Idk how mnay lbs your running so thats why it would seem quick at part throttle.

Do you even use a compressor map??
If you didnt race sombdy who did and then come talk to me.

No actually just find someone with a smaller turbine housing and tell me whats happens

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Bigger turbos are fine if you have the rev range. But a T3/T4 60 trim on a d16y8 making 270whp @ 6200rpm isn't fun on the street. No boost at all until 4000rpm, full boost by 5500ish, and then shifting at 6500, and dropping out of boost after the shift at WOT. Best 1/4 mile run was an incredibly well driven 14.7 @ 105+.....in a 2500 lb 310bhp Civic on good tires.

That car was never within 3 lengths of my 175whp motor that makes less than 100whp under 4000rpm...but is making Type-R power by 5500, and I let her go to about 7800.

Now...when that T3/T4 60 trim setup was transferred to his B18C1 powered hatch....there was still no power below 4000rpm...but it's definitely a street monster at 320whp using the full 8200 rev range....the lag is basically negligible as the extra NA power, and that broader powerband makes up for it.

So really, all this talk of big turbos taking too long to spool equaling boring street cars is all a function of the engine we're talkin about.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Bigger turbos are fine if you have the rev range. But a T3/T4 60 trim on a d16y8 making 270whp @ 6200rpm isn't fun on the street. No boost at all until 4000rpm, full boost by 5500ish, and then shifting at 6500, and dropping out of boost after the shift at WOT. Best 1/4 mile run was an incredibly well driven 14.7 @ 105+.....in a 2500 lb 310bhp Civic on good tires.

That car was never within 3 lengths of my 175whp motor that makes less than 100whp under 4000rpm...but is making Type-R power by 5500, and I let her go to about 7800.

Now...when that T3/T4 60 trim setup was transferred to his B18C1 powered hatch....there was still no power below 4000rpm...but it's definitely a street monster at 320whp using the full 8200 rev range....the lag is basically negligible as the extra NA power, and that broader powerband makes up for it.

So really, all this talk of big turbos taking too long to spool equaling boring street cars is all a function of the engine we're talkin about.
So youre saying your all motor setup beat is y8?..or was he too far from you?

We have to compare setup to setup.

That SOHC making 270 at 6k isnt that great. He doesnt even SEE boost til 4k Driving these cars on the street is horrbile which is what i am talking about.

No boost still 4k...eh..but its GSR in a hatch so its still quick and like you said and he can take it to 8k, plus the close gears in the s80 (i tihnk) keep him in his powerband.

Now ***** said he HITS full boost at 5k but what is his WG set at??

· Registered
13,249 Posts
Dude. This thread is about a guy wanting 500whp. What does that sound like to you? An autocross response monster or a top end ball hauler? The latter.

Some people like having a turbo that spools at low rpm which is fine, but you typically get more traction problems with a setup like that, but SOME PEOPLE LIKE IT.

Others like making a small displacement engine haul ass, and small displacement engines, esp in FWD cars are usually torqueless wonders. The engines don't make power N/A until.... 5k+ rpms. Putting a large turbo on these gives you the same kind of powerband, and IMO where it belongs for high hp applications, above 5k.

You can talk about specs, and maps and all this shiz and that is fine. I know what I have and I know how it drives and how it spools ect and it works just fine on the street for me.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Now GSR start hitting 100hp ~3k maybe less. Correct me if im wrong but compare that to other 1.8 FWD cars.

He, red Wabbit, says he pulls on people with smaller turbos and low boost. That autocross statement was directed to him.

This 500hp build may be street legal but actually driving on the street is different. He never said what he wanted to apply it to.

If this is a track car thats one thing. He can 2 step all day and be fine. GSR trans have short gear and keep it in the power band. But this will get beat as a street car w/ similar build and a more efficient turbo, thats all im saying.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.