Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just goin to ask it should i keep a sohc 1.6l si motor in a 1993 civic si and put parts into it or swap it with a dohc 1.5l dx motor and mod it and can that motor just be droped in or do i need a cut and weld to make it fit?

· Registered
3,077 Posts
f/h/k swap FTW if your going N/A. Even though F is more turbo friendly it can take new pistons where the H cannot. It also doesn't ravage through quarts of oil like the H has been known to do after some miles. AND to beat all the heads on an F motor can come extremely close to the vtec heads on the H series even though they are single cam. Why do you think bisi uses them?

Turbo you can use just about any engine. Its so cool it can make even a torquelss D series have life to it.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
highly doubt honda made a 1 and a half liter dual cam......

· Registered
1,487 Posts
f/h/k swap FTW if your going N/A. Even though F is more turbo friendly it can take new pistons where the H cannot. It also doesn't ravage through quarts of oil like the H has been known to do after some miles. AND to beat all the heads on an F motor can come extremely close to the vtec heads on the H series even though they are single cam. Why do you think bisi uses them?

Turbo you can use just about any engine. Its so cool it can make even a torquelss D series have life to it.
why cant you put pistons in the H series?

· Registered
3,077 Posts
H series = FRM sleeves.
F series = Iron sleeves.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
I believe its the 92-93 h series that have a closed deck. it would be the one you want if you go h series.

in the older hondas they had a dohc d series like in the integra I believe they came in 1.5 and 1.6 flavors

if you have the si engine don't swap it for some crappy 1.5 engine. the engine you have is fine turbo it

· Registered
3,077 Posts
not so much as new pistons as forged pistons, it would have to be resleeved.

FRM sleeves suck IMO.

Technically if you got a piston from another H series engine you could swap them in, but if you needed to do that more than likely you'd have ruined the already thin FRM sleeves anyways.

I think the pistons have to be made for the FRM sleeves honestly.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
I believe its the 92-93 h series that have a closed deck. it would be the one you want if you go h series.

in the older hondas they had a dohc d series like in the integra I believe they came in 1.5 and 1.6 flavors

if you have the si engine don't swap it for some crappy 1.5 engine. the engine you have is fine turbo it
the d15 are single cam 1.5. the d16 came in 1.6 and i that was what was in the old integras. he gave you good advice about just turbo it if that motor is your only other alternative...

· Registered
3,077 Posts
just remember to replace head studs and head gasket if you do a turbo upgrade for it. Lots of people skimp on it and end up lifting the head up from weak stock headbolts.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
the d15 are single cam 1.5. the d16 came in 1.6 and i that was what was in the old integras. he gave you good advice about just turbo it if that motor is your only other alternative...
i know the d16a was dohc in the old integra I was about to pick one up I thought was a b

but I believe there is a d series dohc 1.5 from japan

· Registered
10,346 Posts
just remember to replace head studs and head gasket if you do a turbo upgrade for it. Lots of people skimp on it and end up lifting the head up from weak stock headbolts.
head lift FTMFL

and if it doesnt lift the head and blown something that way, it allows the head to "eat/grind" the gasket

graphite gasket and ARP studs FTW

· Registered
3,077 Posts
head lift FTMFL

and if it doesnt lift the head and blown something that way, it allows the head to "eat/grind" the gasket

graphite gasket and ARP studs FTW

Damn right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.