Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I changed my stock converter with a cheap new cat (Performax brand) from a local mech who custom fit it. It's like the cheap ones off ebay. He add the hole for the O2 sensor. Before I reset my ECU i got an Catalyst System error after I reset it went away. I have a few questions. Are the stock cat better then a cheap aftermarket cat without any honneycomb filters in it? And are they legal in Texas/ New Orleans?

When I accelerate I hear a ticking sound from where the cat is. This that a gas link?

I have a 2000 GS auto 4 dr that I brought used with 30k and a warrenty. I now have 40K miles. Every thing else is stock only added AEM Short RAM. I plan to add the DC header in a few weeks.

I'm thinking about going back to the stock cat.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
It has no catalytic element in it? Like you can look straight through it like a pipe and there is nothing in it? Cause it should have paladium, rhodium, platinum catalyst in it that looks like a honeycomb. Although it could be a different type of cat. Link pics of this cat if you can find some. Most likely the ticking is combustion of unburned hydrocarbons in the catalytic converter or its a rattling heat shield, couldn't tell you, I'd just run the stock cat if I was you because you're not extensively modified or anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it has no catalytic element in it. It a double/dual layer chamber with the inter chamber has oval holes thourgh out.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
go magnaflow.

:clap
agentmodel said:
yeah it has no catalytic element in it. It a double/dual layer chamber with the inter chamber has oval holes thourgh out.
It, like most cheap ebay cats, probly has fiberglass surrounding the inside. If your cat doesn't have an element, you won't pass inspection. :noo The fiberglass gives it a raspy sound, doesn't it? Magnaflow cats, have a large element for more flow and sound deep and niiiice. Just in case you are wanting to replace your illegal cat with a nice one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks

What you think of the brand Flowtech and their hi flow cats?

Any good places online to buy some.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
i never heard of it 99% of people use Carsound cats. thay are made by Magnafllow. they are good quailty and only around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
acuradriva said:
i never heard of it 99% of people use Carsound cats. thay are made by Magnafllow. they are good quailty and only around 100 bucks.
carsound are pretty good :number1 . i used to have one for my old si, only had it for 1 year though :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I found on online at JEGS for $94.99 + shipping
2.25'' In/Out Catalytic Converter. What's diameter of the tube?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean the diameter of the stock exhuast system. The diameter where the base of the header attaches to the Cat.

Also what types of gains can I except with a high flow cat. (like do I gain a few Hps and a mile or two in gas mileage?)

My base of the stock header looks real rustly I going to see if it can be changed by Acura under warrenty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question are the "Vibrant" high flow cat good. How do they compare to the Magna flow. I'm looking for a local store so I get it installed on monday. I cat seem to find one that has the Magna Flow brand. Found one that has vibrant for $110. I saw some ads in mags but no reviews.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
im going with magnaflow, but thats just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont have my car right now and I wanted to the diameter of the stock exhuast tubing. Will a 2.25 inch diameter cat weld on to the stock exhuast tubing?

Also whats you take on the cat with air(the ones with the extra air tube on them btw the two rows of cat materials. Are they better then the ones with out it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with the (2-1/4" In/Out, 94005 Series Magnaflow Catalytic Converter) today, brought at a local store that priced matched the online price and had them install it. I'm back to being legal again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts