Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
HONDAV6 said:
I heard that it's not good to retrofit HID kit into a aftermarket headlight assembly. Is this true? And if so, why is that?
Obviously you have not done enough reading, research, homework and searching on this.
Please do so before posting this; If you actually put some effort into it which you seem to not be doing.....then you will have all the answers you need.
You can retro anything into anything, it takes time, effort, skill and lots of education.....so ......get started.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have read a lot of different forums from various sites. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to do it. I've heard that some housings melt due to cheap quality, so I wanted to know if anyone has done a retro fit on a aftermarket housing and what brand might be best.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HONDAV6 said:
Wow that was the exact informantion i was looking for. Thank you konatriathlon! On your OEM retrofit what projectors did you use? And did you do it yourself? Was it easy??
It was easy for me....I bought an extra pair of OEM headlights and sent them to a guy in Cali to do for me. He used Honda S2000 projectors and Audi A4 bezels. I really like the look, very OEM looking in my opinion. Here's what it cost me:

Headlights: $150.00 shipped to retrofitter off of eBay
Retrofit: $500.00 for projectors, ballasts, ignitor wire, custom wireing harness, and labor.
Return shipping to me: Free

All I had to do once I received them was mount them, plug them in, level the beam, and wait untill nighttime to go driving.

If you are interested in something like this look up Lary Wu aka "littodevil" on

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php

He will work with you and get you what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright! Thank you for the information! I will be look for that dude when i'm ready. One more question, the extra set of headlight assembly that you bought. Were they Genuine Honda assembly? Or aftermarket?

·
Registered
937 Posts
They are not D.O.T. Approved. Which can be illegal in your state if you are caught with aftermarket ones. "Fine"

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
In california if you stay with 4300k HID they leave you alone, it's when you're more concerned with bling and go for the worthless pimp style 8000k bulbs that interest the fuzz, even 6000k don't get them going.

I posted a pic of the HID beam pattern in stock 6g housings and then after my projector retrofit, also TYC projectors with HID from another members car. The output isn't bad in the stock 6g housings, but there is a small bit of glare out of them. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167372&highlight=HID

·
Registered
230 Posts
go to www.hidplanet.com/forums and under the university there is a comparison of retrofitted projectors vs. kits that plug in....glare is a major problem..... also everything you need to know about hid's

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
JOEL2112 said:
go to www.hidplanet.com/forums and under the university there is a comparison of retrofitted projectors vs. kits that plug in....glare is a major problem..... also everything you need to know about hid's

6G housings aren't bad at all. My OEM STi relectors have as much glare if not more than my Accord V6 did with a decent set of rebased bulbs. Nothing compares to a good set of OEM HID projectors, but if the focal point is good and the reflectors themselves are well designed the outcome isn't always bad.

This isn't bad by any means. There was only one hotspot on the passengers side, and overall a decent light pattern, the glare that is present was there even with the stock bulb although amplified from the brighter light source.

Granted this has ZERO glare, but I also had trouble seeing road signs or anything that was above my cutoff.

Reflector housings are designed to have a certain amount of bleeding so you light up road signs and such. Look at any OEM reflector based HID and you'll find they have a pretty nasty glare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.