Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda prelude and will attempt to put BMW E46 Hella Xenon lights as retro's. I just purchased the following:

(2) Hella Ballast D2R/D2S

(2) OEM Philips 35W 4100K

(2) OEM Xenon Projectors

Do I have to concern myself with the ballast D2R/D2S (assuming that this is the computer for the HID)? Will the computer be connected to my car and how? When you speak about retrofitting is it only the projector and not the HID unit? Will the projector work alone without using the Ballast? Do I use my current shroud?

I would love to have the M3 HID look and if that requires the HID unit (Ballast), I dont want to end up with a poor light source by using only the projector!

I know its alot of questions, but I need alot of answers! :giggle

·
Registered
522 Posts
no you won't be able to use them without the ballasts, its easy to do just join the 2 wires that go to your headlight to the ballasts and they will work.

the BMW shrouds you have are the same ones i had and they were not deep enough to use so i had to make my own shrouds.

good luck :D

·
Registered
787 Posts
fastfu said:
no you won't be able to use them without the ballasts, its easy to do just join the 2 wires that go to your headlight to the ballasts and they will work.

the BMW shrouds you have are the same ones i had and they were not deep enough to use so i had to make my own shrouds.

You should get a wiring harness... if not now, your oem wires are going to melt or maybe malfunction.

About the shoud, yes they fit. I have them on my car. :giggle

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fastfu said:

Does the Ballast connect to anything other than the two low beam wires? If not, the ballast works as an amplifier?

Thanks.... :w00t

·
Registered
870 Posts
ecorona6 said:
Does the Ballast connect to anything other than the two low beam wires? If not, the ballast works as an amplifier?

Thanks.... :w00t
Go to www.suvligts.com and buy the harness its like 60 bucks and is a MUST. The shrouds will work iam about one day from finishing mine.

·
Registered
870 Posts
not to rag o you but you do 't seem to have much info on doing HIDsor a retro i would think twice befro you go any further on this, trust me iam doing mine right now. i spent over a year on the planning befroe i started.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
good luck. bi's are a little harder to work with too than single but not too bad. my preference are singles though, not too big and obtrusive. u should plan it out for a while though before u jump right in and buy all the parts. and if it's ur first set i wouldn't do them to my stock headlights if i were you..

oh yea and def get a wiring harness. u can make ur own or buy one. but i wouldn't reccomend cutting into the car's stock harness.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
01preluder said:
not to rag o you but you do 't seem to have much info on doing HIDsor a retro i would think twice befro you go any further on this, trust me iam doing mine right now. i spent over a year on the planning befroe i started.
This is true unless you just have Architechure skills for some odd reason. It took me over a month to kinda figure out what to do... :rolleyes I'm not saying my first set was perfect, but they did come out pretty good. I sold those like a week after I had them and made more. Here is a pic of the first 2 sets I made. The stock Prelude has the S2K projectors (first set I made) the one with the Greddy lip has BMW projectors (second set I made). I say go for it and see how they come out

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
01preluder said:
I take no offense to your views! I will be the first one to tell you that I know nothing more than an article (w/detail descriptions) I read two days ago. I have always been creative, but in this case my creativity will cost me if I screw up, but I will never knew until I try! :lol2

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lumanogin said:
good luck. bi's are a little harder to work with too than single but not too bad. my preference are singles though, not too big and obtrusive. u should plan it out for a while though before u jump right in and buy all the parts. and if it's ur first set i wouldn't do them to my stock headlights if i were you..

oh yea and def get a wiring harness. u can make ur own or buy one. but i wouldn't reccomend cutting into the car's stock harness.
Thanks for the info.... I dont understand your comment on "Bi's". Does this describe the projectors im using? And why is it harder?

And I agree, I will not be using my stock headlights, I have an extra set so I can take my time and do them right! :clap

PRELUDE1897......Thanks....your sets came out good...Lets hope mine are as good!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Bi's from the front look the same, But the are your low and hig beam. behind the lens there is a metal flap that flods down via a solenoid that then truns on you high beam. If tyou don't have bi-xexon you must retain your stock high beam. But like he said above they a harder to work with due to the fact of clearnce of the solenoid and the metal flap.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
u really don't sound like your ready for anything. The worst u mistake u can commit now is taking your headlight apart. Research first.

www.hidplanet.com

Its just not cutting a whole and plugging them in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts