Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just orderd some purple McCulloch 12000k HID units for my lude. Think the units are legal? Some of my friends say they're ok on the street. Any comments? :confused

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
inLineFour said:
I just orderd some purple McCulloch 12000k HID units for my lude. Think the units are legal? Some of my friends say they're ok on the street. Any comments? :confused
illegal to put HID's on car's that aren't equipped with them from factory, period.

retrofitting, which is what you should do, is technically legal and illegal. i don't remember all the details.

legality is a messy thing when it coems to HID's. anyway, all manufacturers say that it's for off-road use only, except the philipps 4100,4300, and 3000k's.

don't expect ur 12k's to be very bright either. brighter than halogen maybe, but nothing like an oem system.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not Legal at all. Not to menton every car that passes you won't be able to see cause you are blinding them with tomuch refection. Some car are not made and shoud not have HIDs in them and a prelude is one of them unless you do a Projector Retro.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
wow 12,000k? hahahahahaha.

·
Registered
91 Posts
97lude said:
wow 12,000k? hahahahahaha.
i know i was bout to say SHIT!!! ull see maybe a slight purple haze in front of u that u might call ur headlight beam but other then that....12k is soo much

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
just point them all the way down...tis what i did......yet i have 8000k....geez i wouldnt dare put over that degree kelvin. Especially without projectors.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
actually 12k doesn't mean it will be brighter. the lower you go the brighter it is. u'd just get a nasty purple color from that, that's trying to mimic the colors that come off the flicker effect from a projector.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
lumanogin said:
actually 12k doesn't mean it will be brighter. the lower you go the brighter it is. u'd just get a nasty purple color from that, that's trying to mimic the colors that come off the flicker effect from a projector.
i know....i was referring to the color

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
i don't think they are really 12k. At least i haven't seen them.......maybe they are coated.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
inLineFour said:
man, i asked for commemts and took a beating :wow
u call this a beatin?..

·
Registered
665 Posts
basically what took place here is that who ever wants to do this had some money and thought it would be cool to get PURPLE hid's? wtf? why dont u spend the extra money and do a retrofitted projector, but without the purple lights, shits gonnalook soo pussy. i would laugh if i saw that, reallyr eally hard, even if i was drving an 89 crx hf 65hp.

·
Registered
787 Posts
inLineFour said:
man, i asked for commemts and took a beating :wow
No, its just facts :evil

Retro will be worth it in the long run.

think about it. HID Kit are bad for glares. Plus they dont look as good as retro. E46, E55, S2k,so on. Plus you get a sick ass cut off.

Well goodluck :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
WOW!

Poor kid, wanted cool HID's and some info...ends up getting trashed on here. Your all big meany dorkheads!! :p

No...they are not legal...but then again...what part of the Tuning scene WONT get you introuble with SOMEONE? Blah...just another way to come down on kids.

First off...you will have some glare...just do like 98Vtec said and try and aim them down...you will still get pretty good road coverage and not blind the other drivers as much. But I think they latest HID's in the VIP cars are glarey and blinding anyhow.

Second of all, you are gonna have a purple color to your lights, not a bad thing if its what you want (I think its pretty cool lookin). Like said before, its not gonna be as bright...but you will still have some good output.

And as you probably allready know, they are not gonna pass inspection or be road legal...so dont do anything thats gonna permanantly cause you NOT to be able to slip your stockies back in there.

And there is always retro-fitting in some projectors. Probably your best bet for later on...but also a bit pricey and you have to know what your doin. You can go to www.hidplanet.com to find out more.

Anyhow, hope this info helps.

Later,

1 - 20 of 52 Posts