Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched out my gauge cluster for one with a tach. Everything was fine except my fuel gauge didn't work and my high beam indicator light doesn't come on.( I sourced another fuel level indicator) Luckily I had a buddy doing the same swap so i borrowed his cluster and the light still wouldn't come on. I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't work. Is there a fuse that I may need to replace or maybe a short in the wire. I will check both fuse boxes tomorrow when it is light. Any help will be appreciated.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Before doing anythign else, swap the bulb around, polarity is only one way. If that doesnt look, look at the wiring, its possible a wire may have popped out, very easy to do on an older car harness.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that and it didn't work, I have three clusters out of: ex automatic, ex manual, dx manual. The factory dx is the only one where the high beam indicator works. At this point I think it is a difference in the harness. I'll try and get a schematic for all three and try and rewire it.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
The harness is the same. My civic was on its 4th cluster before i sold it, damn gas gauge and temp gauges kept failing due to a crappy ground and me not noticing.

I assure you they are direct swaps.

It is possible that part of the cluster simply burned out. Circuit boards can fail, especially in such an aged car.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a valid point I just think it is strange that my stock one works but neither of the other ones, but it does make sense that part of it could have burned out. I don't wanna keep pulling the plastic out because I am afraid it will break, I'll mess with it again tomorrow. Could I swap the gauges into my stock cluster because it works, In other words can I put the tach, fuel and temp gauge into the stock cluster?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
You could, but that stuff is fairly delicate. I wouldnt risk it. Have a friend with the same car maybe, swap clusters with him and if it doesnt work, then you KNOW its a cluster issue. Then its works taking a risk and disassembling your own for repair.

Good luck on whatever you decide. If you ahve to do that and do it successfully, you should do a writeup for it so someone else with the same problem can use it as a reference.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for the help, unfortunately I don't have any friends with the cluster except the one I got it from and he said it worked in his car. I will monkey around with it and if anything I will either deal with it because its not that big of a deal or get one of those Sir clusters from password even though theyre about 230 bucks. But I would like to do the writeup for the conversion I did with the auto cluster into my car, someone wanted me to do it and I havent seen one yet. Btw how do you like your del sol, I have never driven one personally but always kinda thought of them as a mini supral lol, I hope that don't offend you.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Hop on ebay dude, I got all my clusters for 50 bucks shipped or less. Good deals alot on there. Just gotta make sure you get good sellers, look for 100+ feedback, and 90% or better. Go on there profile (ebay) and read their feedback, just to make sure they are not douchebags or scammers. Ive been screwed a couple tiomes on ebay, but ebay and paypal always set it straight for me

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will, I am only hesitant because a kid I know(not real smart) bought his for 150 and it didn't work lol and he gave it to me.(Spare parts ftw!) I just want to be able to figure this out, that's half the fun for me personally, and having friends like you and other superhonda members it just seems like the logical first step.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
FREE SHIT IS AWESOME!!

sorry i had to yell it :lol

· Registered
10,346 Posts
link plz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.