Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am planning on do a high compresson motor on my 99 EX with 11.1 CR what do you guys think and what will i need? and what are the horsepower gains for doing this.? Will i see more power or torqe? I new to this concept. so any thing you guys say will help. well I have to get a new ECU? Run high oqtane gas? thanks.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
umm...
ok i'm not going to be a complete dick and tell you to just use the search button. but give it a try.
do a search for things you have questions about and it'll help you with asking questions that will net you an answer instead of nothing.
ok first off just going high compression on your motor will do just about nothing for you.
a combination of high compression, head porting, intake and exhaust flow, camshaft specs, fuel curve, spark curve and general overall tuning will net you higher horsepower when building a naturally aspirated motor. check out the n/a tech forum here. do a search for specific questions you may have and then come back and ask some different questinos. people here are more than welcome to help.
pieces...

· Registered
2,222 Posts
actually higher compression WILL give you power, it'll increase hp and torque at all rpm's. of course i/h/e helps too, but 11.1 will give you 10-15 hp, which is what intake, header, and exhaust give you all together. you're putting in d16a6 pistons right? with that kind of compression modifying the a/f ratio and shit like that would help, but not necessary. a vtec controller would be a plus (to modify fuel). remember though you have to run premium gas or you'll get detonation.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya Iam planing on puting the A6 pistion in my car. And thanks for the info and not just telling me to us the search button. Buy thw way do you know a lot about the A6 swap?

· Registered
1,967 Posts
I think you'd be happier with a turbo or something else. If you build an engine for high compression you get to run 100+ octance fuel, and no octane booster doesn't work therefore everytime you are out of gas you have to go search out a gas station that supplies race gas.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
cmills83 said:
I think you'd be happier with a turbo or something else. If you build an engine for high compression you get to run 100+ octance fuel, and no octane booster doesn't work therefore everytime you are out of gas you have to go search out a gas station that supplies race gas.
hahaha man you gotta be kidding me!! 100+ octane for 11.1 cr?? you can safely run up to 12 cr on 92 octane. and yes octane booster does work, why would people buy it if it didn't?

· Registered
155 Posts
just out of curiousity, how much do the a6 pistons cost for the set of 4?

Civic1999, check out that NA forum like 5gencivic said, its a good forum. But hey, you may want to considder if you really want to go N/A, it has advantages and disadvantages. BTW, i give you credit for working with your Y8 =)

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GreenGo, Thanks for your input And ya I know its alot of money two go fast with an N/A Y8 but its more relieable? The horsepower gains well be worth the $200 doller investment!!even If I have to run high oqtane gas Right???

· Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the price. If you end up doing the piston swap and you get a chance to get it on the dyno that would be neat to see what kind of performance your getting with all your mods.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I well do that If you whant you can add me as a buddy and i well fell you n when I do It. By the way Iam alredy getting 121HP to the wheels And 101 Tq!!

· Registered
1,893 Posts
are you sure the a6 pistons are compatible with the y8 head? i'm not trying to tell you not to do this but it seems to me like you may run into some problems if you simply swap them out.
other than that why don't you do a camshaft or something that will probably net you more gains?
i honestly can't see you gaining more than about 8 horses at the wheels with a higher compression ratio. without the correct camshaft spec a higher compression ratio just doesn't make sense to me. it's a move one would usually make when they're fully committed to going n/a. it will take a lot of cash to get someone to install those pistons for you. 200 is just for the pistons, don't be suprised if a shop asks for 500 - 1000 dollars just to install them.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I plan on doing a port and polished head with 3 angle valve job new ring and bearings With a good all around cam! and yas Iknow some one how well put them in for $500 dollers!!

· Registered
1,967 Posts
just chillin said:
hahaha man you gotta be kidding me!! 100+ octane for 11.1 cr?? you can safely run up to 12 cr on 92 octane. and yes octane booster does work, why would people buy it if it didn't?
Actually my friend built his teg with high comp pistons, etc.. and he had to run 117 octane. And personally if i spent all that money on building a motor I wouldn't rely on octance booster, btw people buy lots of stuff that doesn't do what it claims to do, ie cai's that claim they add 15-20 hp or those cool "tornados" that you hook onto your intake for 50+hp...yeah right.

· Registered
11,248 Posts
While you are going through all of that to get the pistons installed, I would recommend looking into a crower stage 1 cam. It is $321 from www.crower.com and do a little tuning with your cam gear. You should get some pretty nice gains from it all. By the time its all said and done, you should be putting down more power than a stock b16.

Let us know how it goes. And someone asked... Yes, the d16a6 pistons will work. There have been several very extensive threads on using these pistons in a z6/y8 engine.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
cmills83 said:
Actually my friend built his teg with high comp pistons, etc.. and he had to run 117 octane. And personally if i spent all that money on building a motor I wouldn't rely on octance booster, btw people buy lots of stuff that doesn't do what it claims to do, ie cai's that claim they add 15-20 hp or those cool "tornados" that you hook onto your intake for 50+hp...yeah right.
how high of a compression ratio was your friend running?
i've personally run 11.2:1 on 93 pump gasoline with nothing other than very mild tuning done on a v-afc. the key to getting everything to run correctly is TUNING. your friend was either running above a 12:1 or he was completely ignorant of his car's state of tune. also i believe 117 octane is leaded fuel. his aluminum block and head would have lasted about fifteen minutes with leaded gasoline, unless i'm mistaken the two don't react very well.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hay guys thanks for all the info and no I well not have to use leaded gas we have 92 oqtane here in TX. And yes I going to get a cam for it too and a VAFC and a reprogramd ECU! Well let all of you guys know as soon as I do this to my car. O and tuning it on a dyno !!!!!!!!:D
:vivi: :ken:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.