Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
12,453 Posts
I've heard of you, somewhat of a CRX legend from what I've heard.

I broke down and bought one of these things too. haha

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Thanks for the compliments :) I'm just another dude who stepped up and tried to help out. Some like me and some don't. It's cool though.... I still love the haters!!
My freind up here at School, Adam aka, BAM, idk if you ever heard of him, showed me your car and told me about you, I have his old rex HF. Kinda been a headache so far, but one of these days it will run, I hope (fingers crossed)

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys....

TJ is TJ...... slow, dead, hangn' out, hobby, test bed to keep my server skills alive, what ever. I'm thinking about changing the name and trying to resuscitate it with just Honda content, but it's not a big deal either way. Keeping the name up and the site running is easy and if people post then cool, if not it's not really any skin off my back. I've been out of the scene for at least a year and a half now because of my kids, my job, and I was building a house. The CRX is in the garage with a cover on it and I'm just now putting the engine back together. I've had all the parts for a while but have just been too side tracked. My wife has a '08 G35x and I'm tooln' around in a '09 Accord v6 coupe so it's not a big deal that I have waited anyway. In a way it's good because the mileage is staying off of it and the car looks as good as it did after the rebuild.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some people still drive them and have JRSC in them.........
Very Cool!! :number1

Hey your car looks very similar to a project my buddy is working on. He has a white 90 SI he picked up in Florida and I dropped a ITR engine in it for him. He's crazy clean and detailed, he had the engine bay stripped and repainted and made me line it with painters tape before I installed the engine so it doesn't get scratched. We did the engine last year and he just recieved a Pro.2 kit (replica) from Password. We're gonna fit that up and do a complete restore of the outside.

Pat's white CRX ITR

· Registered
12,453 Posts
^^^if only my CRX looked like that!!

Going out to work on my rex right now, hopefully today I can get the tranny bolted up and prepped to go in.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a nice project your buddy has. Last I remember your project had issues with the pistons..roller waves I think you canned one of them?? Hows it now?
Yeah summer of 2007 I had bored the car out to 85mm. I was running a 89mm crank which put me a tad over 2 liters. I had replaced the failed supertech valve train with all manley components and yeah, the pistons were Endyn Rollerwaves.

I had the car tuned and within 500miles, on the way to Watkins Glen for a charity run the engine ran lean under 5th gear acceleration and I had a bad meltdown. The engine stayed together and I was able to limp it to a gas station where I elected to have it flat bedded home. Even when I got it home she started up, but I could tell it was bad, I ran a compression test and that told the story.

I have no idea why it was lean, there's many theories and I'm not going to get into that aspect of it because it's touchy with the tuner. All I know is the guy is the best in the industry and he is still my tuner and he tuned a few other of my friends cars as well.

This is what we do though right?? You have to sometimes expect it. My biggest fault that I will not do again is invest so much money and not have the proper instrumentation. If I had a air/fuel gauge this wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, I had the block re-bored to 85.5. I bought new rollerwaves. The head was cleaned up and checked for warpage, the rods were checked as well. I have all new gaskets and I'm finally putting the engine back together now. Following Larry from Endyn's suggestion I did decide to lower the compression this time around. Instead of running the ITR 11.1:1 I dropped it to 10.5:1. This will give me more of a safety window in tuning and I'll be able to run a little more timing anyway.

Since then I had another child, my job got real busy, and I built a house. So with all that going on the CRX had to take a back seat.

I have some picture of the damage here, if anyone wants to see $900- pistons melted.

Got Lean?

Teaser picture......

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys should really try the 1st gens. :number1
Been there..done that. I had a 1986 SI in High School right before I bought my current 1990. I loved that CRX as well. Problem is you can't find a stright one with no rust these days. 1985 CRX Si FTMFW!!!! First CRX with fuel injection and the lightest / fastest factory CRX in the USDM market!!

Jon said:
whats up dude, long time no see
Hey buddy... how's it been??

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
I can't seem to figure out why you aren't using your old name. but it is good to see you back.

nevermind I see the dumbass mike banned you. I have fixed that. you are now unbanned and can use your old name

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.