Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 civic si, with a few 'mods' on it and this just started happening recently. I drive slow and it acts like it wants to cut out and lose power. also whenever i give it some...it lacks power.arent these supposed to be faster than a 95 accord? When driving it, it feels alot like my 95....SLOW. Mods are

msd blaster ss coil
msd external coil cap thingy
obx 10.3mm spark plug wires
AEM intake
5zigen exhaust

any of you actually switched coils from the stock honda one to an aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
95vtecsrus said:
I got a 2000 civic si, with a few 'mods' on it and this just started happening recently. I drive slow and it acts like it wants to cut out and lose power. also whenever i give it some...it lacks power.arent these supposed to be faster than a 95 accord? When driving it, it feels alot like my 95....SLOW. Mods are

msd blaster ss coil
AEM intake
5zigen exhaust

I don't know what you were expecting, man, but the difference between the two cars is NOT that much. Yeah, it's probably a full second in the quarter mile (from your previous high 16s to your current high 15s), but that's like comparing $2.00 to $2.50... it's a decent difference, but it's still just not that much damn money. It's not like it runs 13s or something. Biggest change with the new car would probably be the handling.

IMO, the difference you are starting to notice is that the old car had a TORQUE motor (145 hp, but 195 lb-ft) so it feels pretty decent around town but kinda falls flat on top, whereas the new car has a HP motor (160 hp, but only 115 lb-ft) so it feels like a fucking slug around town, but picks up ok on top. That's what a loss of .6 Liters of displacement and a bit of stroke will do to you. The new one is undoubtedly faster, it just doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might be on to something there....but still....should i just switch back to the stock OE coil to keep it from cutting out....its like a bad misfire when this happens. i mean really does the coil make that much of a difference? i got it for free so thats why im asking..hell ill take it back off if it wont make any difference. sweet vette by the way

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
95vtecsrus said:
you might be on to something there....but still....should i just switch back to the stock OE coil to keep it from cutting out....its like a bad misfire when this happens. i mean really does the coil make that much of a difference? i got it for free so thats why im asking..hell ill take it back off if it wont make any difference. sweet vette by the way
Yeah, if you're getting misfires I would switch back to stock ignition. I doubt you get anything at all from aftermarket, anyway.
And thanks on the car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i switched back to the honda coil..now it still acts like it doesnt have the 'power' like it did. maybe the 10.3mm wires dont agree with the civic either???

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
95vtecsrus said:
ok i switched back to the honda coil..now it still acts like it doesnt have the 'power' like it did. maybe the 10.3mm wires dont agree with the civic either???
If they are quality wires, it should be fine. I doubt you'd feel the difference on "shitty" wires, anyway (no more than 3-4 hp). Pull the plugs and see what kind of condition they are in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hm... i just put those spark plugs in like a week ago.(bosch platinum +2) thats what was in the car when i got it. but yet thats still not sayin much. should i switch to ngk or something?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
95vtecsrus said:
hm... i just put those spark plugs in like a week ago.(bosch platinum +2) thats what was in the car when i got it. but yet thats still not sayin much. should i switch to ngk or something?
No, whatever you have is fine. Just make sure they aren't coated in oil/white/etc., the gap is set correctly, and that they have a spark... then put them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
95vtecsrus said:

msd blaster ss coil
AEM intake
5zigen exhaust

stock its a slow car, not to much power i agree with the other guy, ignition sytems are not necessary unless you need stronger spark and need to burn fuel off faster, as for misfiring, check to make sure the plug wires are plugged into the right spots, check ignition timing

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Nathan123 said:
If they are quality wires, it should be fine. I doubt you'd feel the difference on "shitty" wires, anyway (no more than 3-4 hp). Pull the plugs and see what kind of condition they are in.
i actually had some 10mm wires one time i bought cus i needed them to drive temporarily..they actually made my car run noticably bad. it bog and ran like shit.

high quality or stock ones are the way to go. NGK blues will work fine for his basically stock car

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
get some 8.5mm wires, youll notice instant pick up, 10mm is alot of wire for stock juice. also, check your injectors to be sure they arent clogged. fuel filter also.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
2000redCIVICsi said:
get some 8.5mm wires, youll notice instant pick up, 10mm is alot of wire for stock juice. also, check your injectors to be sure they arent clogged. fuel filter also.
his car is stock...so stock wires would be the best way to go

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
his car is stock...so stock wires would be the best way to go

i only say that because hes got other ignition compontents as well. i understand the stock wires are fine, but if hes got to have wires, just go with some NGK 8.5's. i was simply saying that 10 mm wires are too damn big.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
2000redCIVICsi said:
Am I missing something? A larger conductor should make resistance go DOWN, which could never detriment an ignition system. No such thing as having a wire "too big".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YEEEAH...I AGREE WITH ^^...LESS RESISTANCE..BETTER SPARK...IM HAVING OTHER PROBLEMS AS WELL...CHECK MY OTHER THREAD...ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Am I missing something? A larger conductor should make resistance go DOWN, which could never detriment an ignition system. No such thing as having a wire "too big".

i agree with what you say, its weird, but ive seen several guys around here swap bigger wires into their cars and end up missfiring....put the stockers back in and its works again, three different cars ive seen this on around here. I dont know why it does it because what you said is true. Just a honda thing i guess.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
2000redCIVICsi said:
Just a honda thing i guess.
Probably a poor connector quality thing, IMO. Aftermarket does not always mean better quality than stock (even if the specs are "better"). This is especially the case in Hondas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.