Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i started my engine today, and well, there was always this really faint noise, but damn, it almost sounds like something is rubbing internally.
i have an h22, and i just got the car a couple of months ago, and now, it makes this rubbing noise about every four seconds, almost a grinding noise... shit this sucks, but i don't feel a power loss or anything
. so anyways, i was just wondering if maybe anyone has ever had this happen, or if anyone would have an idea of what it might be? i'll take it to the dealer soon, but damn this is probably going to cost a shitload!
please give me some input!:( :( :(

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
just bring it to a shop and let them check it out :) most likely its your transmission :)

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it does it when my car isn't moving, so could it still be the tranny? i was sitting down listening to it till my engine warmed up, and figured it may go away when it got to normal temperature, but i drove it home and yea, it was still there.. ,
any ideas, thanks:(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you have a racing clutch in it? Sometimes when you install a new racing clutch... it makes a scratching/rubbing noise cuz it's being warn in... Then after that... you'll hear a bit only when you go on first...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the noise seems to be coming from inside the crankcase, but it just might be the timing belt tensioner like you said.. do you know what kind of noise that makes? how common was it exactly? shit i wish i could get a recording of it... i've got an appointment at the dealership on thursday, hopefully this isn't going to kill me.
thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
109 Posts
neldogg said:
the noise seems to be coming from inside the crankcase, but it just might be the timing belt tensioner like you said.. do you know what kind of noise that makes? how common was it exactly? shit i wish i could get a recording of it... i've got an appointment at the dealership on thursday, hopefully this isn't going to kill me.
thanks a lot guys
tensioner noise sounds like a tapping noise on the plastic cover. I heard it around 1500 rpm, esp on decelleration.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that just may be it, thanks... by the way, how hard is it to change.. i'm average with mechanics but limited with hardware, would i be able to do it myself or will the dealer have to... this sucks, it's been a whole day without my car, and i've got to take it in tomorrow..:(

·
Registered
64 Posts
it does sound like the tension of your belt...every time you rev the motor do you hear it right before the rpms get bak to idle? it happened to me..i jus tightened it and the noise was gone..

·
Registered
109 Posts
neldogg said:
that just may be it, thanks... by the way, how hard is it to change.. i'm average with mechanics but limited with hardware, would i be able to do it myself or will the dealer have to... this sucks, it's been a whole day without my car, and i've got to take it in tomorrow..:(
Its a faulty tensioner on the h22. There is service bulletin out for it. But since you did the swap, you may need to pay them to do it. You might as well change your t-belt while you're at it. I believe some people have swapped in the h23 tensioner, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, i took it to the dealer and it turns out it was just the ac compressor.. so thats good, i just need to find a decent aftermarket one thats not gonna kill me, i don't think it should be too hard to install...btw thanks a lot guys:)

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^
well it turned out it was just my ac compressor... see i have 150k on my car and the bearings are worn out... if you're not sure about it just check it out, its about a 30 minute job taking off your belts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts