Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is to end all the arguement about the tranny probs:
so its not just the driver.

The four-speed models were afflicted with a bad bearing that could break apart, scattering fragments of metal that clogged fluid passageways in the transmission, causing it to shift erratically, he said.

The five-speed models typically were damaged by premature wear of the third-gear clutch pack. As the clutch friction material abraded, it scattered bits inside the transmission case, clogging fluid lines and causing erratic shifting.

The two transmissions are the five-speed used in V-6-equipped Acuras since the 2000 model year and in Honda Odysseys since the 2002 model year; and the four-speed automatic used in V-6 Honda Accords since 2000 and in 2000 and 2001 Odysseys.

He said Honda owners with transmission concerns should call the company's customer service hotline at (800) 999-1009; Acura owners should call (800) 382-2238.

Spencer said Honda engineers identified the root of the problems a few months ago and have redesigned the transmissions.

full artticle here: http://www.latimes.com/classified/autos/highway1/la-hy-acura11sep11.story?coll=la-headlines-highway1-manual

*personally i think that it effects all the v6 tranny since 98/99
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: honda/acura admits to bad tranny design

bachviet said:
I printed the article and kept the real piece from LA Times just in case! :)
to think the tranny breaks in LA haha. on the 405 we dont get to go the faster than....15mph, damn traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
i have a question though.
if you abuse the transmission, such as redlining alot, and your transmission finally fails, but you are still under warranty.
what happens? i mean as long as i say "it wasn't my fault", they have to replace it right?

i have 2002 with 5000 miles on the car, someone with 02 accord v6 with 12000miles had tranny failure too.

this is just completely disappointing. I seriously think this should go out in public, and becomes a big issue. honda needs a lesson. who do you think they are? the best? hell they can't even design an auto tranny. even GM makes bmw trannies. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
n00b.OnLine said:
this is just completely disappointing. I seriously think this should go out in public, and becomes a big issue. honda needs a lesson. who do you think they are? the best? hell they can't even design an auto tranny. even GM makes bmw trannies. :eek:
Yeah, Honda can't design auto tranny's worth a sh!t. :rolleyes:

Even when they screw up they only have a 1.6% failure rate, which STILL doesn't even budge Consumer Reports reliability ratings.

And nevermind the fact that...

Jeep Grand Cherokees have up to a 15% failure rate.
Ford Windstar minivans have up to a 15% failure rate.
Chrylser minivans have **well over** a 15% failure rate.
A 99 Chrylser 300M has a 5.0-9.3% failure rate.
A 00 Ford Taurus has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.
A 99 Ford Explorer has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.

So if AV6 tranny's are sh!t then what in the hell do you call those? :p

AV6 Tranny "Issue" = :sleep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
everyone blowing it out of proportion

at least honda admits when they made a mistake. some companies have a hard time with that

my friend with an av6 bitches about his tranny...its fine. he just likes complaining

honda makes fine trans...auto/stick

this thread should be spread to a mitsubishi type website. their trans usually go after 60k. attention all trendy galant owners in the nyc area. haha

only thing that bothers me about the honda auto is their snap-like shift from 1st to 2nd...maybe its solved with the new 5spds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
My tranny is fine. Almost all people I know with 6th gens never had a problem. I thought the tranny issue was minor until my parents "new" used 00 V6 sedan( that we just got on 9/13/02) made a clunking sound when going in reverse. Took it back to the Acura dealership we bought it from today. Now the tranny has to be replaced. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SteV6er said:


Jeep Grand Cherokees have up to a 15% failure rate.
Ford Windstar minivans have up to a 15% failure rate.
Chrylser minivans have **well over** a 15% failure rate.
A 99 Chrylser 300M has a 5.0-9.3% failure rate.
A 00 Ford Taurus has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.
A 99 Ford Explorer has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.

So if AV6 tranny's are sh!t then what in the hell do you call those? :p
i call those DOMESTICS :rolleyes:
there is a reason why we buy honda's. for its reliability. you cant compare honda to a domestic. i know the tranny are not like 15% failure rate, but its a honda. honda has always been on higher standard than everyone else. thats why people buy it.
i am just glad they are fixing the issue thats all. but to say that there isnt a problem is just wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
i called that number today and talk to someone, i told him my tranny is kinda fuckin up, the upshift is lot rougher compared to when it was new, and im hearing some sounds during gear change.

here is what he said to me: there is nothing i can do until something breaks. i could take it to my local dealer and get it checked out, but the odds are they aren't going to do anything unless a big problems comes out.

so i bitch about knowing people with fucked up tranny, and had to pay 4-5 grand to get it fixed. and i also told him i only got the regular 3 year ord 360000 miles warranty. he said if something should break, contact that number, and they will probably do a good will warranty on the transmission. let's note the word probably. this will probably change into not likely, probably not, then screw you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
divinewisdom said:
i call those DOMESTICS :rolleyes:
there is a reason why we buy honda's. for its reliability. you cant compare honda to a domestic. i know the tranny are not like 15% failure rate, but its a honda. honda has always been on higher standard than everyone else. thats why people buy it.
i am just glad they are fixing the issue thats all. but to say that there isnt a problem is just wrong.

can't agree with you more than it already has. WERD! :)

Its honda, lets not compare it with those low quality level cars.
Never heard this big of a issue from an import. thats why i was disappointed. I dont expect a perfect car, but i expect it to be at least better than domestics. Unfortunately, i guess im biased or something, all my school friends with domestics drive their cars crazy, but never has issue. I think mine is probably going to run out soon, i just hope that it holds until next year, so i can trade this slush-box equipped automobile for a 6-spd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
So WTF do you guys expect? A 0.000000% failure rate? :confused:

What if I told you that Toyota V6 tranny's had a 1.5% failure rate.
What if I told you that Nissan V6 tranny's had a 1.7% failure rate.

Would you be any more or less upset?

In spite of its "flaw", Honda V6 tranny's are STILL among the most reliable transmissions you can get. If you expect more than this, then start walking :rolleyes:

Or better yet, go buy a GM, Ford, or Chrysler product. You'll have a "true taste" of domestic reliability and only then will you realize how GOOD Honda and the other imports are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
crazed87 said:
so i bitch about knowing people with fucked up tranny, and had to pay 4-5 grand to get it fixed. and i also told him i only got the regular 3 year ord 360000 miles warranty. he said if something should break, contact that number, and they will probably do a good will warranty on the transmission. let's note the word probably. this will probably change into not likely, probably not, then screw you.
If this is the attitude that you were pushing, then what do you expect? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SteV6er said:
So WTF do you guys expect? A 0.000000% failure rate? :confused:

What if I told you that Toyota V6 tranny's had a 1.5% failure rate.
What if I told you that Nissan V6 tranny's had a 1.7% failure rate.

Would you be any more or less upset?

In spite of its "flaw", Honda V6 tranny's are STILL among the most reliable transmissions you can get. If you expect more than this, then start walking :rolleyes:

Or better yet, go buy a GM, Ford, or Chrysler product. You'll have a "true taste" of domestic reliability and only then will you realize how GOOD Honda and the other imports are.
naw we dont expect a 0% failure rate. just somewhere around the .05% or something. even honda said that the 1.5% is more than normal, usually they never have problems.
i even talked to the service advisors at the honda dealers. he said that in the past year he had to repalce more trannies than he has working for honda the last 12 years.

you guys who dont have a tranny problem [yet] can say this and that about people who post about their tranny failure. just wait till your tranny blows. wouldnt you be upset if your honda tranny blows in 5k off the lot.

seems like there are two camps here one who has tranny blows and wants honda to fix it. and the other side who thinks that honda trannys are still the best in the world. we all like our hondas we just want our shit built right. if consumers dont complain aout the quality of honda, it will just get worse and worse [which i already think its starting grow worse]
they dont make them like they use to in the land of the rising sun. not some of our shits are from mexico.:mad:

crazed87-you might just want to take your car into the dealer and have them checked out. talk to the service manager. if they dont do anything at least you got it chekced out. and if you start having worse problems later on, then they cant say that you didnt get it checked out.

Dave80-yeap your in the category. but they wont replace it till it starts acting up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
now... their next article should be...

In light of all these problems, Honda America has teamed up with Honda Japan to give FREE 6 speed JDM spec transmissions swaps to all 1998-2002 Honda Accord V6s, and for all this trouble, a Custom turbo will be built for each one of them, FREE!


I can dream, can't i?:D :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
I know this is a V6 forum, but how come I don't hear as many complaints from the 4 cyl Accord owners if it's the same auto tranny in the 6th gen Accord?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
n00b.OnLine said:
not accord trannies. :laff:
are you blind?
Or are you just ignoring the facts? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SteV6er
Jeep Grand Cherokees have up to a 15% failure rate.
Ford Windstar minivans have up to a 15% failure rate.
Chrylser minivans have **well over** a 15% failure rate.
A 99 Chrylser 300M has a 5.0-9.3% failure rate.
A 00 Ford Taurus has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.
A 99 Ford Explorer has a 2.0-5.0% failure rate.

So if AV6 tranny's are sh!t then what in the hell do you call those?
I suppose this would be letting facts get in the way :laff:

Source: Consumer Reports 2002 Annual Auto Issue.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top