Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Honda Civic DX. At 175,000 the oil light came on. I opened bottom end and discovered the main bearings were shot. The dealer wants $13 per half bearing (10 halves).

I think I'm going to get rid of it. Any idea what the car is worth, assuming someone wants to swap the engine for something better.

By the way, I am in Maryland. If anyone is interested, make an offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say bottom end you mean main cap and bearings?

I thought of that but the bearings will not match the block then. There are 6 sizes I think. That is part of the reason I don't want to take a chance on the dealer bearings and getting the wrong size. The actual bearing codes are inaccessable because they are stamped on the bell housing face of the engine block. So to see them you have to separate the engine and tranny which is tough to do with the engine in the car. (A brilliant idea to put the codes there.)

I guess Honda casts and machines the block to a given (looser) tolerance. Then measures and picks bearings on each to tighten the tolerance for the bearing to crank interface. It makes sense and is part of the reason civics last so long, but its a real pain to only swap bearings. I should probably swap the entire engine for something with lower miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh! That makes much more sense.

You think I can get one for ~$130?

Also I am still trying to determine the value of the car as I am undecided on fixing or selling. Is $2K really reasonable? any other input would be apprieciated as I assume regulars here have a much better idea of what they go for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts