Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOKYO - The 13-year-old Acura NSX sports car will be replaced soon by a car much like the HSC concept coupe shown at the Tokyo Motor Show, Honda President Takeo Fukui disclosed last week.

"I want to bring it out soon," Fukui said in an interview for the annual Automotive News Talk from the Top series. "Everybody is waiting for it. It won't be in a year, though."

Fukui called the two-seat HSC concept "a realistic proposal" and said the production NSX would not change much from the show car. The HSC concept, which had a 300-hp V-6 under the hood, is shorter, wider and lower than the current NSX.

"I like the overall proportion of it," Fukui said. "Its compactness is attractive."

The NSX, which has a small but passionate following among performance enthusiasts, has not been fully remodeled since it debuted in 1990. Reflecting its age, worldwide sales last year totaled only 364, with the U.S. market accounting for 233.

The car's worldwide sales peaked at more than 4,500 in 1991.

"This is not a volume car, so it has be aimed at the global market," Fukui said.

The replacement for the nearly $90,000 vehicle is part of Honda's move to shore up the Acura brand. The automaker also will update the Acura RL, due out next fall, by dropping front-wheel drive.

On another topic, Fukui said Honda may increase imports of U.S.-built vehicles into Japan if the yen gets much stronger. The dollar has fallen to about ¥108 from around ¥120 since August, yielding less yen profit for Japanese companies for every dollar of sale.

"We have to think of different ways" to adjust, he said.

Honda imports the U.S.-made Element and the Canada-built MDX and Odyssey minivan, which is sold in Japan as the LaGreat. Through September, the automaker has imported 16,689 cars and trucks into Japan, up 132 percent over the same period in 2002.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04595978

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I hope they do something w/ the rear end. I wasn't feeling the current prototype's design too much. For some reason the LED lights didn't do anything for me.

I agree overall w/ Mr. Fukui "Its compactness is attractive.":p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I hope they do something w/ the rear end. I was feeling the current prototype's design too much. For some reason the LED lights didn't do anything for me.

I agree overall w/ Mr. Fukui "Its compactness is attractive.":p
yea, i was gonna say that too...

the rear is too domestic like....

BOOOO:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I'm not totally in love with the rear either, BUT it does look very exotic and very mean, which is what the NSX needs I think.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have to agree the rear end is ugly. Other than that the hsc is a wonderful car to replace the nsx. To0 bad I can't afford an nsx.:cry:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I'm glad other peeps are in agreement w/ me about the rear of the proto. The peeps in my office think it's cool looking. One of them is the owner of a 94 NSX so his word on NSX styling carries alot of weight with the drones...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Current rear > HSC rear

The current rear looks so much better than the one found on the HSC, and in fact i think it is one of the nicest ass Honda has ever designed. The HSC rear looks too similar to the likes of the corvette with the round rear lights. Honda should just stick to their old design and just alter it.

Besides that great job Honda, but just add a little bit more go than the as said 300HP.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
On the NSX Prime website, a few members photoshopped new rears, some look pretty damn good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rice_Boy_Racer said:
Current rear > HSC rear

The current rear looks so much better than the one found on the HSC, and in fact i think it is one of the nicest ass Honda has ever designed. The HSC rear looks too similar to the likes of the corvette with the round rear lights. Honda should just stick to their old design and just alter it.

Besides that great job Honda, but just add a little bit more go than the as said 300HP.
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they putting a 100hp electric motor in there? so that makes total hp 400hp :eek: and the torque that the electric motor will provide will do wonders.

then again, i'm not sure if they'll even do the hybrid thing. but i thought i read that somewhere.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah there have been a bunch of rumors about that (and a concept car named the Honda Dualnote / Acura DN-X). These rumors haven't been confirmed nor denied....

·
Registered
297 Posts
In the article divine post it says 300hp:

" Fukui called the two-seat HSC concept "a realistic proposal" and said the production NSX would not change much from the show car. The HSC concept, which had a 300-hp V-6 under the hood, is shorter, wider and lower than the current NSX."

:confused: :confused:

Maybe they will have a type s version with the hybrid set up later on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rice_Boy_Racer said:
In the article divine post it says 300hp:

" Fukui called the two-seat HSC concept "a realistic proposal" and said the production NSX would not change much from the show car. The HSC concept, which had a 300-hp V-6 under the hood, is shorter, wider and lower than the current NSX."

:confused: :confused:

Maybe they will have a type s version with the hybrid set up later on.
the concept HAD a 300hp V6. what do you suppose that means? :p i know that's just being picky with words but hey, if they are going to totally redesign the NSX, why only 10 more hp?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes they did say 300hp V6 but didn't disclose the hp of the Electric motors. The HSC is definitly a hybrid. My guess is that it will have horsepower ratings like the acura dnx 300hp gas and 100hp electric.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So it seems the future of the next NSX hinges upon the inclusion of electric motors. A 300HP engine (probably underrated) simply isn't enough anymore to compete with what you can get for half the price.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
TypeRpower195 said:
i think it needs at least 400hp to be competitive. a 300hp motor with no ima is basically what the nsx had.
remember every one complains about the nsx being under powered but look at the numbers nsx's run low 13s - high 12s depending on model and driverweight plays a huge facter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts