Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me with the problems i will run into buying an automatic and changing it to a standard....? i dont knw what i am gettin ginto.. i will probably buy an auto CRX '89 and drop a b16a1 in.. only reason is is b/c this is a good body on the auto... and it is cheaper then most... up here in Canada CRX are quite Rare ... so assuming i cannot get a standard without spending what i normally would with a b16 can someone plz lemt me know what i am in 4? thx

· Banned
1,529 Posts
I've done the auto to standard swap before. but on a 1st gen. basically the same story

the hardest trouble is getting the parts... once you have the Shift Linkage, the trans, the shifter, the pedal assembly, then you should be good!

· Registered
714 Posts
All you have to do is get the transmission, flywheel(and bolts because they are longer), dustcovers, 5sp axles, shift linkages, pedal assembly, clutch cable and 5sp computer(recommended). Then you will have to wire up some things like the reverse lights and then you will have to figure out how to start the car since there will be no more neutral/park switch. <---Basically all you would have to do would be to wire in a clutch kill switch(so you cant start the car in gear) if you get an 88 they didnt come with a clutch kill switch so you dont have to worry about them.

I did all of this on an 86 prelude base model. But i also swaped out the clusters and had to rig up a clutch kill switch. Other than that it was a pretty straight forward swap. When i got finished with the swap i could have sworn that the prelude was meant to be a manual all along, it was that smooth.

· Registered
798 Posts
Everything you need will bolt right up, the only thing you will have to do is possibly do a little cutting/fabrication to get the shifter assembly to sit right......

· Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a Few things... i am buying a b16a1 with the tranny... i am not sure what else i will actually need to buy??? and as for the shift linkage.. and how do i wire in a clutch kill switch??? is the hole for hte clutch pedal already there or do i have ot cut one? there should be no problem bolting the gear box in should there?
Thx

· Registered
714 Posts
The hole for the cable should already be there. It will be right next to the brake booster assembly. To install the pedals you have to pretty much disassemble the whole drivers side portion of the dash and steering column.

The transmission should also drop in and bolt up with no problems.

The shifting assembly will fit into the hole and should line up with the 10mm holes. But sometimes you will have to drill out the other small holes it will line up with. Then just use some 10 mm bolts and locknuts to hold it in place.

As far as the clutch saftey switch you have to find the wires that tell the computer of the car that it was in park or neutral they will be near the old automatic shifter in a little harness with about 10 other wires that plugged into it, and then you have to wire the switch (which should already be on the pedal assembly) to the two of those wires.

If it cranks with the clutch engaged then reverse the wires and it should not crank with the clutch engaged. Then test the switch by pushing the clutch all the way to the floor. It should crank then.

Everything else you need to buy was mentioned in my earlier post to this thread. Unless i forgot something which i am sure somone will say something if i did.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
i converted mah auto integra motor into a stick and dropped it into my rex....works beautifully....however the head on the AUTO is WEAKER then the head on the STICK....and i dont know about smog n shit in canada...but here if you convert a car that came as an automatic into a stick it will fail smog because it is no longer auto...now if you got a stickshift car and swapped a converted auto motor into it no one would b the wiser....hehehe

· Registered
714 Posts
I remember this thread. I forgot to tell the dude he needed a custom shift linkage and motor mount kit as well. Oh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.