Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, guys? First things first, I guess I should introduce myself. My name's Shea and I recently bought my friend's project: a 1994 Honda Accord with a JDM H22a motor swap. This is the first Japanese car I've owned, since I've always owned domestic brands (specifically Fords and Lincolns).

Anyway, my friend's family has owned this car since it was new, and when he became old enough to drive, the car was passed down to him. Of course, at that time, it had the stock 2.2 SOHC Non-VTEC and the stock automatic transmission. Well, after going through all the abuse a new driver could throw at it, eventually the transmission went out on the car and was rebuilt, then shortly thereafter, the stock engine died. At that point, I let my friend keep the car at my place for a while while he figured out what he wanted to do with it. Sometime after that, I made him an offer on the car and he accepted, and we were about to cut a deal then, but things fell through. Finally, he decided to do something with the car, so he took out a college loan for $12,000 (and BTW, he ended up spending all the money on the car instead of going to college ;) ) and had the car towed to a local shop for a JDM H22a motor swap. At first, he was going to convert the car to a 5-speed, but he ran out of cash after buying the motor, a $3-4,000 audio/video system, 18" rims, and alot of other accessories for the car, so he got the next best thing which was an automatic with a LSD. Well, he got lucky and got a motor with only 8,000 miles on it, but the transmission was out of another car and he didn't know how many miles were on it. So he got the car out of the shop at the end of January this year and drove it for only 20 days before the transmission died. So at that point, he was out of cash and trying to decide what to do with the car, so once again, I started making him offers on it, and finally on Tuesday, we made a deal and the car is now mine.

So now I'm debating on what to do with this car. I've considered selling the motor out of it to invest in some other projects I've got going on right now, but a part of me wants to fix it up, but I don't have much cash at all right now after buying it. So my question is this: My friend still has the transmission from the stock 2.2 SOHC Non-VTEC lying around somewhere. When his transmission on the H22 failed, I asked him couldn't he just hook his other transmission up to it (because I know that this sometimes works with Fords from my experience) and he told me that wouldn't work, and I figured he was right, considering he knows more about Hondas than myself, but now from what I've read, it looks like that transmission might work on a H22? I was curious because I might be able to get that transmission from him for reasonable and fix the car up some. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Shea

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
first of all....beat the living shit out of your friend for not going to college...that's the DUMBEST move anyone can ever make. i can't stand stupid people.

second, he needs to learn more about hondas. there are a handful of other trannies that will mate w/ the h22...but there are only 2 that will make good use of the h22's powerband.

since it's auto, it's no wonder the tranny keeps dying...the honda auto trannies lick sweaty donkey balls.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes you could use his old f22 auto tranny..but its about a 99.9% chance it will be shot within a few months..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! Still trying to figure out what I want to do with the car, but this certainly helps!

-Shea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the only suspension mod (if you can even call it that) that I know has been done to the car is an APC front strut tower bar that was done more for cosmetic reasons than for performance. I know at one time he had lowering springs on the car (Eibach I believe), but I know he was debating putting his factory springs back on, so I'm not sure what the car has under it now. Either way, the handling isn't what it could be.

DarkSideAccord said:
btw, ur friend is a dumbass for using a college LOAN to fix up his car :noo
Yeah, actually that's the second college loan he's used for something other than school. So now he's paying on 2 college loans, and he just bought a Chevy S-10 with a 350 V-8 from a friend of his and he's making payments on that, so that's why he needed to sell the Honda so badly to pay his bills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pics of the car taken outside the shop right after it was finished... sorry they're so grainy, my friend took them with his camera phone. I have better quality pics on my computer from some of the late stages of the H22 swap, but I haven't hosted them anywhere yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.