Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, Im a former VW guy new to the Honda scene. Was a VR6'er until she got totalled (rest in pieces). I loved veedubs but they are too damn expensive to maintain/modify and a pain in the ass to work on sometimes.

I decided to try a Honda, civics are waayy too popular around here so I decided to get an Accord. I bought a 92 LX, with the 5spd of course...got it from an older guy, bone stock. Not exactly a rocket, but no slouch either. A nice ride...im impressed by honda to say the least.

I eventually want to make this car fast, I immediately thought the only way to go was a b18 swap or something similar, but after reading over the 'H22 FAQ' im thinking otherwise, I wasnt aware that it was a direct swap.

My question is, what year H22 should I look for that would make for the easiest swap in my 92? Will the swap even work with a 92? (older body style) And what do you guys use for controlling your timing/fueling? With the VR6 I had it was coil pack distributorless ignition, so I had to play with ECU chips. (pain in the ass).

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
92-95 h22

timing can be controled from the cams and distributor and also a management system. fuel can be adjusted using a good management system.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
92-95 h22

timing can be controled from the cams and distributor and also a management system. fuel can be adjusted using a good management system.

welcome to the honda world and our forum...

a great place to start with honda tuning is the management...

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
There is nothing called an easy swap so get over that right now.
92-96 h22 would be the quickest to get done. The h22 faq covers that a bit but not much in detail.
If you search on sho about h22 in the accord forum you will find out all the info you need.

Good plug on the VR6....now i know not to ever buy one hahahhaaha

3rd edit...... u bought a lx......ugh.......
First mod, get rear disc brakes instead of those crap ass drums.....
4th gen trailing arm with disc or find a 5th gen ex and do that swap......
Or PM timmy0tool he has ur car and did the swap.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
honda swaps are super easy compared to toyotas....well compared to my car at least. for hondas, you gotta lift the motor out of the car. with mine, you put everything to the ground and lift the car over the motor :eek

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
honda swaps are super easy compared to toyotas....well compared to my car at least. for hondas, you gotta lift the motor out of the car. with mine, you put everything to the ground and lift the car over the motor :eek

putting the gsr motor in my buddy's civic was the easiest swap i ever did... much easier than cramming a mopar 440 into an s-10...

but still, anytime you are talking about major surgery on your car like this, it will involve some frustration and :bh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TSM_Pikachu said:
Good plug on the VR6....now i know not to ever buy one hahahhaaha
lol, yea its a big hassle of an engine to work with but I cant hate...with just bolt-ons it really hauled, a real torquey motor. Took abuse like a real champ, too. vw bottom ends are bullet-proof. Ok Ill stop plugging vw now before I get beat up... :D

Thanks everyone for the replies, another question though...

Is there much tuning potential for the single cam F22 motor already in the car? I like the ease of working on sohc motors, and if possible id like to avoid the headahces of a swap. Is there tuning potential, and readily available stuff in the way of aftermarket heads, cams, etc. for the F22?

Or would it be a waste, or is there not much power potential in the F22?...cause if thats the case then ill know to plan on a definate OBD1 H22 swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the H22 swap in my 5th gen. Was a piece of cake. However, depends on what you are looking for in the future. FMAX turbo kit or something similar is nice for the F22. I heard of few people that get nice numbers that way. If you do the H22 swap, the possiblities are endless. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.