Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I dont know how many of u look at mags much but in the march 2005 issue of honda tuning they are doing a complete build up of a d-series. I think that it started in the January issue. They started talking about the mini-me build in march though. Maybe this will help a few of u guys out on what to do to your engine. Good luck...

·
Registered
478 Posts
hopefully the emphasize the crucial part of using the right god damn transmission as well as other correct parts like the Intake manifold over just swapping the stupid head.

Ill talk to bamboo about it.

theres going to be some SOHC vtec hype. everyone get your heads ready.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4dr said:
hopefully the emphasize the crucial part of using the right god damn transmission as well as other correct parts like the Intake manifold over just swapping the stupid head.

Ill talk to bamboo about it.

theres going to be some SOHC vtec hype. everyone get your heads ready.
They go into all of that. They tell u what tranny, computer, manifolds....

·
Registered
478 Posts
IMO after you do everything you need to take advantage of the "vtec head" you dont even need the damn vtec head.

most people seem to rarely understand the "anti vtec" sentiment tho.

it should be a good article tho.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
IMO after you do everything you need to take advantage of the "vtec head" you dont even need the damn vtec head.

you want to elaborate on that statement?

i understand that the sohc vtec is geared more towards fuel efficency vs. the dohc vtec.

but, in your opinion, why would a person not need/want it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
4dr said:

it should be a good article tho.
i understand perfectly clear ! :clap :clap :clap

cracked me up wm, dylan was surprised how good i was driving faded :evil

and what do i do best .... roast tires in front of cops LOL :clap :clap :evil

·
Registered
57 Posts
IISaiNtII said:

i understand that the sohc vtec is geared more towards fuel efficency vs. the dohc vtec.

to want vtec would be bec of the sound it makes :wow

to need it .... i dont see any need besides fuel economy ;)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
4dr said:

I don't hold any anti-VTEC sentiment, I do realize you can still go pretty far without it. But are you suggesting it isn't worth upgrading the head at all?

Seems to me that on a daily driver where most time is in the lower rev range, having a wild power cam in a non-VTEC could get to be a nuisance as compared to the milder primary profile on the VTEC cam designed for that rpm range...

·
Registered
57 Posts
klungemonger said:
I don't hold any anti-VTEC sentiment, I do realize you can still go pretty far without it. But are you suggesting it isn't worth upgrading the head at all?

Seems to me that on a daily driver where most time is in the lower rev range, having a wild power cam in a non-VTEC could get to be a nuisance as compared to the milder primary profile on the VTEC cam designed for that rpm range...
I'm in the same boat .. i don't hate vtec ... it's great for a daily driver bec u wouldnt be driving a big cam non vtec around idling at 1500 rpms+
For street and everyday driving the mini me is a great set up ... though i would just swap a z6 or d15b. ;)

for an all out motor i would go non vtec ... since i wouldnt be driving it everyday ... more like once a week on a late nite hunting for F bodies and dohc's :evil

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yay me! That was my first Byline (By, Drü Barrios). I addressed it like it should be addressed. I don't do things half assed. The only problem I caught in the whole story was me fucking up by saying Head BLOCK combo's (in the compression chart) instead of Head PISTON as some people were wondering about the ZC Block w/ vtec head rows in there. Whatever, you guys know what I meant right?

BTW, I have to disagree w/ the anti-vtec sentiment, even though I completely understand why you feel that way. the truth is, on a full race (specifically a drag race) motor, that will never be on the primary lobes the simplicity of a non-vtec valvetrain is going to be beneficial. however on a RR motor or a street driven motor that isactually going to use the primary lobes, it is great to have the wide powerband that vtec can produce. a daily driven vtec motor with an aggressive secondary lobe and mild primary lobes will have far better driveability then the same motor with just the one aggressive lobe. For my purposes I'll stick w/ vtec, if I ever decide that going in a straight line looks like fun (not bloody likely) I'll probably ditch the vtec and go to a PM6 head :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bambooseven said:
Yay me! That was my first Byline (By, Drü Barrios). I addressed it like it should be addressed. I don't do things half assed. The only problem I caught in the whole story was me fucking up by saying Head BLOCK combo's (in the compression chart) instead of Head PISTON as some people were wondering about the ZC Block w/ vtec head rows in there. Whatever, you guys know what I meant right?
cant wait to read it. hopefulyl my mini me article doesnt COMPLETLY blow it our of the water. then again i have no page and word limitations to fit into a magazine.

im sure you did really well. =)
(btw got something else to talk to ya about next time we AIM)

if I ever decide that going in a straight line looks like fun (not bloody likely) I'll probably ditch the vtec and go to a PM6 head :)
heh... just wait. its commin by late feb. one long rod non vtec SOHC. beeeeeybeeee

the full elaboration, extrapolation, and idealogy will have to wait until late next week. when my latest article about SOHCs is done.

"mini-me" ... or "mini-mulizing" that is the question... ill leave you with the fact that "cam lobes are cam lobes" for now.. and vtec is just soleniod, a spring, and an extra rocker arm.

for example.. im doign a mini me on my 4dr right now.. i have everything needed to take full advantage of the added cam lobes. the p08 intake manifold, header, and above all else the correctly geared transmission. (ex Si)

after all is said and done really.. i coudl have done all that and added a bigger non vtec cam into my non vtec head.

oh wait.. i have an a6 cam sitting ready to go back in the b7 head shoudl the vtec head disapoint... but all the rest of the performance gained from "mini-mulizing" the DX weaknesses will be there.

its just cam lobes...

oh btw SOHC standard 2 stage vtec is not really "geared" towards fuel efficeny, the vtec-e system is.

....stay tuned.

·
Registered
478 Posts
norcal4dr said:
i understand perfectly clear ! :clap :clap :clap

cracked me up wm, dylan was surprised how good i was driving faded :evil

and what do i do best .... roast tires in front of cops LOL :clap :clap :evil
shhhhhh ...that was so 5 years ago. LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
klungemonger said:
defintly... this is why im going to the vtec head on my 4dr. daily driven. (not to mention the fact its obdI)

the crx is the monster however, and will be non vtec pm3/6 head with big ole cam.(keepin it simple since its obd-0 is another reason)

plus those heads are much simpler to work on IMO having both vtec and non vtec. not to mention find parts for.

a nod should go to the SOHC vtec head however for having a great aftermarket support behind it.

in the end it comes down to needs and preferences.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i beleive the VTEC engin is alot better engine not because of your stupid statement about being a fuel economy engine, but because of the fact it is more reliable with higher rpm's and can reach higher rpm's. Now on the otherhand, the VTEC-E is the fuel economy witch is a 3 stage VTEC engine. There is a difference between the two and dont make the statement if you dont know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
252 Posts
norcal4dr said:
to want vtec would be bec of the sound it makes :wow

to need it .... i dont see any need besides fuel economy ;)
and this is the stupid statment i was talking about. :bh

·
Registered
478 Posts
he knows what hes talking about.. the question is do you?

i beleive the VTEC engin is alot better engine not because of your stupid statement about being a fuel economy engine, but because of the fact it is more reliable with higher rpm's and can reach higher rpm's.
and this is what kind of statement? LOL

-your basis for "why its a better engine" only shows your lack of knowledge about these motors.

the non vtec d15b7 or example is better suited for "revs" straight out of the box when looking at engine geometry compared to the d16z6.

"vtec" has NOTHING to do with reliabilty on the SOHC's...

the conventional SOHC 2 stage vtec operation in the D series (p08 and p2J heads) ARE infact for ECONOMY/Emmisions....(the vtec e only takes it a step further)

when you understand what vtec actually DOES and why it does this you can see why its more for emmisions. when you have speced the d16a6 cam vs the "vtec" lobes of the p08 cam as i have.. then you will understand.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
mikerock said:
the VTEC-E is the fuel economy witch is a 3 stage VTEC engine. There is a difference between the two and dont make the statement if you dont know what you are talking about.
You should take your own advice!!! Considering VTEC-E is not 3-stage VTEC, it's you who is asserting erroneous info. The 3-stage VTEC is a combination of both regular VTEC and VTEC-E.

·
Registered
252 Posts
mikerock said:
i beleive the VTEC engin is alot better engine not because of your stupid statement about being a fuel economy engine, but because of the fact it is more reliable at higher rpm's and can reach higher rpm's.QUOTE]

read everthing said before making a statment, not a more reliable engine, but more reliable with higher rpm's. :kick

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
mikerock said:
no, the vtec engine is more reliable IN HIGHER RPMS. and the vtec-e is a 3 stage vtec and to run it you would have to have either the jdm vtec-e computer or something like an acura gs-r computer. the vtec-e is the fuel economy engine and the vtec is not a fuel economy engine. i know what i am talking about, i just did so much research about the single vtec and the vtec-e. and to prove the vtec-e hase a 3 stage vtec, you can look towards the back side of the dizzy and see 3 (not 1) vtec silanoids.
Nice try to quickly erase this hilarious post, but mods can still get to your deleted outrageous statements!!! :D :clap

Really, do yourself a favor and stop talking about VTEC (ANY kind of VTEC...) until you have researched juuuuust a tad more...or...do us a favor and keep on posting for our amusement.

There are NO Hondas with 3 solenoids on one head, period! 3-stage doesn't mean VTEC kicks on 3 different ways, it means it goes from:
Stage 1 - the VTEC is not activated. Head is effectively operating in 12-valve mode
Stage 2 - the VTEC-E solenoid opens up, converting the head to normal 16-valve mode
Stage 3 - the regular VTEC solenoid kicks in, activating the high-rpm cam lobe

See, only 2 solenoids are required for 3-stage operation, comprende? Only certain years of the JDM Civic sohc engine even came with the 3-stage system.
You CANNOT operate a 3-stage head, or even a VTEC-E head properly with a GSR computer. You must be confusing the secondary intake runner on the GSR as having something to do with VTEC, however it does not.

You'll notice that only the Civic VX and HX had VTEC-E, do you think it's only coincidence that those cars have much higher mpg ratings than regular Civics (including the EX & Si with VTEC), while the standard VTEC models have more horsepower but just average fuel economy? Come on, just read a dealership brochure and use some common sense, that alone will tell you you're off base on this one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts