Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa Barbara, California - Automotive Lease Guide, a private company that forecasts automotive residual values, has announced its annual Residual Value Awards. The awards honour those vehicles in each segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original price. This year's awards are based on 2004 model year vehicles. For the second year, ALG has also added awards for the brand with the highest predicted resale value of all industry and luxury vehicles. The awards are arrived at after careful study of segment competition, historical vehicle performance and industry trends.

Heading the list this year is American Honda Motor Company, Inc. with the Honda Brand winning the Industry Brand Residual Value Award. Honda also received four individual segment awards: the Accord for the Midsize Car Segment; the Odyssey for the Minivan Segment; the CR-V for the Compact SUV Segment; and the Pilot for the CUV Segment. Both the Honda Odyssey and CR-V are repeat winners from last year.

BMW of North America, LLC also made a strong showing in this year's awards winning the Luxury Brand Residual Value Award. MINI USA, a division of BMW of North America, won the Compact Car Segment for the MINI Cooper for the second consecutive year.

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. continued a strong tradition in the Residual Value Awards winning four individual segment awards: the Tacoma for the Compact Truck Segment, Sequoia for the Fullsize SUV Segment, 4Runner for the Midsize SUV Segment, and the Tundra for the Fullsize Truck Segment. All, excluding the 4Runner, are repeat segment leaders from last year.

Another repeat winner this year is Mercedes-Benz USA LLC for the CLK, which won the Luxury Segment award.

Nissan North America Inc. is the winner of this year's Sports Segment award for the 350Z.

And last but not least, the Near Luxury Segment award goes to Lexus for the ES330.

"Residual Value performance continues to be a leading indicator of the success of a vehicle or brand," said John Blair, Automotive Lease Guide's Chief Executive Officer. "ALG individual segment award winners represent a combination of desirability as new cars and long term appeal in the used vehicle marketplace. Honda and BMW have captured the industry brand awards due to the strength of their entire product lines, which is quite an accomplishment given the fierce competition in today's automotive industry."

Summary of 2004 Residual Value Award Winners
Brand Awards Brand
Industry Brand Residual Value Award American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
Luxury Brand Residual Value Award BMW of North America, LLC

Segment Awards Vehicle
Compact Car MINI Cooper
Midsize Car Honda Accord
Sports Car Nissan 350Z
Near Luxury Car Lexus ES330
Luxury Car Mercedes-Benz CLK
Minivan Honda Odyssey
CUV* Honda Pilot
Compact SUV** Honda CR-V
Midsize SUV*** Toyota 4Runner
Fullsize SUV Toyota Sequoia
Compact Truck Toyota Tacoma
Fullsize Truck Toyota Tundra
* CUV Segment new this year.
** Compact SUV segment has replaced last year's Sub Compact SUV segment.
*** Midsize SUV segment has replaced last year's Compact SUV segment.

Industry Brand Residual Value Rankings

Rank Brand
1 HONDA
2 TOYOTA
3 VOLKSWAGEN
4 NISSAN
5 SUBARU
6 JEEP
7 MAZDA
8 FORD
9 GMC TRUCKS
10 DODGE

Only brands above the industry average were ranked. Below industry average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Buick, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, and Suzuki.

Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings

Rank Brand
1 BMW
2 LEXUS
3 ACURA
4 MERCEDES-BENZ
5 AUDI
6 INFINITI
7 VOLVO

Only brands above the luxury average were ranked. Below luxury average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Cadillac, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, and Saab.

Note: All brands with vehicles in at least two segments and minimum annual volume of 40,000 units were included. As a result of this requirement, MINI and Porsche as well as other brands were excluded from the above rankings.

Based in Santa Barbara, California, Automotive Lease Guide is a privately held company that has been forecasting automotive residual values for over 35 years in both the U.S. and Canadian markets. Their web-site is www.alg.com.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/031111-1.htm

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
yeee haw hurrray honda... go honda go go go please give us more good product

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Isn't that one of the reasons many of us bought Hondas? Reliable transportation w/ decent resale value.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Notice it says, "Honda of North America."

People here in Japan could give two shits about Honda, which I find comical. Just goes to show that the car manufacturers that cater to North America have no balls, and apparently the same holds true for the people who buy them thinking they bought a sports car. :lol2:

·
Registered
626 Posts
hi_jinx said:

People here in Japan could give two shits about Honda, which I find comical. Just goes to show that the car manufacturers that cater to North America have no balls, and apparently the same holds true for the people who buy them thinking they bought a sports car. :lol2:
well yea, if i could get a skyline i'd say the same thing.. but unfortunately, we get watered down crap and honda doesnt look so bad compared to the rest.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
well, that's nice to hear, cause i'm seriously thinking about selling my 99 accord sedan cause it's starting to give me a lot of maintenance to it. Think i can get at least 7 grand on a 99 accord ex sedan with almost 94K miles on it?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hi_jinx said:

:blahblah: :yawn: lets see you start your own auto company and see how long you last. goes to show how little you know about running a corperation :rolleyes: . lets take a look at Nissan, dam they had a lot of balls, the made the GTR Skyline, 300ZX, Siliva and a bunch of other cars. they nearly went under because they couldnt cater to the US market and Renault had to bailed them out, but they still had alot of balls though:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Ragnarok043 said:
:blahblah: :yawn: lets see you start your own auto company and see how long you last. goes to show how little you know about running a corperation :rolleyes: . lets take a look at Nissan, dam they had a lot of balls, the made the GTR Skyline, 300ZX, Siliva and a bunch of other cars. they nearly went under because they couldnt cater to the US market and Renault had to bailed them out, but they still had alot of balls though:rolleyes:
LOL! I was thinking the same darn thing. Or how about Mazda? Or I don't see Toyota selling so many Daihatsu cars over here. Plus wasn't the Honda Fit the best selling car in Japan last year? "Cater to NA"? Heck I think every mfg. that puts out a p/u truck or SUV in America is catering to the US market.;)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Hahaha exactly.

Oh BTW, where are all the American cars???

Oh ok, I see them now.... I wasn't looking at the bottom.... :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
the Tacoma for the Compact Truck Segment :)

toyota is #2 on both list. :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ragnarok043 said:
Damn, I may have never run a corporation, but atleast I know how to spell it.

As for catering to the US market, who gives a shit about that. Unless you work for Honda, how do YOU as a consumer benefit from sells figures? Who gives a rat fuck about the Hond Fit, or whatever? It's a cheap ass econo box. Nothing you say makes sense. For performance, character, and overall value nothing matches Nissan in the JDM. That's why it's so popular in Japan, and why the Japanese scoff at Honda being anything more than a cheap throw away car company. Damn Gaijin thinks he's knows it all. :lol2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi_jinx said:

As for catering to the US market, who gives a shit about that. Unless you work for Honda, how do YOU as a consumer benefit from sells figures? Who gives a rat fuck about the Hond Fit, or whatever? It's a cheap ass econo box. Nothing you say makes sense. For performance, character, and overall value nothing matches Nissan in the JDM. That's why it's so popular in Japan, and why the Japanese scoff at Honda being anything more than a cheap throw away car company. Damn Gaijin thinks he's knows it all. :lol2:
Your arguments are emotionally inflamatory and not based on facts. Those that stand against your opinion have a stronger point of view.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Genri.Truth said:
Your arguments are emotionally inflamatory and not based on facts. Those that stand against your opinion have a stronger point of view.
Maybe you should re-read my post then. I made two very strong arguments based on principles of logic.

Argument #1- Positive sells figures in no way benefit the consumer. The product does. That's just common sense.

Argument #2- I hope you can agree that cars like the Silvia, Fairlady Z, Skyline, or Pulsar GTi offer better performance and overall value to the performance enthusiast than any similarly priced Honda. One need only be familiar with models offered in the JDM to see this is indeed a factual statement, not an assumption.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hi_jinx said:

Wow you got me there, i mean who the hell would want to cater to the US. we're just largest economy in the world, who would want to expand in a market full of money. incase you didnt notice, Nissan is already catering to the US market. they sure as hell arent making all those trucks and SUV for the Japanese market. and it does benefit me as a consumer that the company i just bought a car from, sells figures. its means the car i just bought is high quality, otherwise how could they have sold so many cars to begin with. i can appreciate a performance sports car as much as the next car but theres nothing wrong with econo cars. a mans gotta feed his family and cant afford to drive his baby around in a Ferrari. its also nice to leave a better world for our children. nothing you said has made sense, did you even bother to read the thread title. its about resale value, not best performance. its not about whos dick is bigger, its about who can last longer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ragnarok043 said:
... its about resale value, not best performance.
Yeah, that holds true for the legions of lemmings in the "me too" crowd. You're a typical American... brand conscious... always peeping over the next door neighbor's fence to see what car's sitting in the drive way, and what kind of lawnmower he uses so that you can match or top it.

There are a tiny few of us left here in America who can truly appreciate a performance car, not because of it's "practicality", but because of the thrill and freedom that spirited driving can bring. It is because of we few... we happy few... that affordable performance cars are being revived in North America. It's better to burn out, than to just to fade away. That's passion, something that people of your ilk have sadly lost somewhere along the path towards mediocrity.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hi_jinx said:
Yeah, that holds true for the legions of lemmings in the "me too" crowd. You're a typical American... brand conscious... always peeping over the next door neighbor's fence to see what car's sitting in the drive way, and what kind of lawnmower he uses so that you can match or top it.

There are a tiny few of us left here in America who can truly appreciate a performance car, not because of it's "practicality", but because of the thrill and freedom that spirited driving can bring. It is because of we few... we happy few... that affordable performance cars are being revived in North America. It's better to burn out, than to just to fade away. That's passion, something that people of your ilk have sadly lost somewhere along the path towards mediocrity.
you just like to twist my words around dont you, how about quoting the entire message.

nothing you said has made sense, did you even bother to read the thread title. its about resale value, not best performance
your stereo types about me as an American is way off and your entire post is an oxymoron. you accuse me of being brand conscious trying to top my neighbor and being mediocre at the same time. yet your the one who seems to be brand conscious, preaching about JDM Nissan. like i already said in my last post i can appreciate a sports car as much as the next guy, but it doesnt feed to family. theres more to life than driving a fast car.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Ragnarok043 said:

your stereo types about me as an American is way off and your entire post is an oxymoron. you accuse me of being brand conscious trying to top my neighbor and being mediocre at the same time. yet your the one who seems to be brand conscious, preaching about JDM Nissan. like i already said in my last post i can appreciate a sports car as much as the next guy, but it doesnt feed to family. theres more to life than driving a fast car.
Werd.

Hi_Jinx: People make decisions mostly based on their needs not always their wants. As for "brand conscious", I can think of an entire subculture in Japan based on that type of hedonism. Ever been to Shibuya or Shinjuku? Never seen the Kogals running their scams on the salarymen for smokes or some money? It's just a byproduct of a capitalistic system. Nothing wrong with wanting something better or more trendy then you already have. Living in a free society like the USA I'm happy that people here have that individual choice to make. I'm not going to put you down because of your choice of auto lust, just as I see nothing wrong with people being proud when data reconfirms to them some of the reasons that they based their purchases on. Let people find joy in their lives where they can. There is no polite reason not to. And isn't that the purpose of this site? To build common ground, and not division?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Again with the practicality bullshit. In my original post, I explicitly stated that Hondas are not very popular in the JDM because they lack character, value and performance. Obviously some of you have problems with that, but instead of proving me wrong, you confirm it by saying people in North America don't want cars like that, they want reliable people haulers. You keep telling me it's not about performance, it's about reliability and resale value. Maybe for you, but most of the people who surf auto enthusiast boards want some measure of performance. If you're more worried about what type of car is more appropriate to be seen in with a wife and two kids, then you have no reason to be on a forum like this. Buy a minivan with lots of cup holders and call it a day already. Hell, families in Japan still push 4-door Skylines, Stageas, etc. I guess they have more balls than you do.

Do me a favor and look up the word mediocrity in the dictionary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts